Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1283477 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9870 on: July 17, 2020, 11:16:37 pm »

Well... I had to steal 6 Obristan passports from people, so...

Yeah the game is very grey with the morality choices you have to make. Let the woman through whose husband you just approved entry to, or send her back to probably be murdered because you could really do with that extra 5 credits due to wanting the convenience of pressing tab to open the rubber stem- Er... I mean, to pay for the medicine for your sick son because you didn’t buy food yesterday to pad your money were nice to Jorji and some other folk so you got citations. Not because you forgot to cross reference their gender or the expiration dates on their documents and consequently received too many citations, nah...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: July 20, 2020, 04:53:35 pm »

After setting up an undercity that spouted plague like the internet spouts memes, I permanently crippled Itza, and their capital... Itza. I proceeded to ignore them for the next 40 turns, slowly winding my way around the southern and eastern corners of the continent destroying dwarves, dark elves and high elves alike in my disgusting disease-ridden conquest.

About four turns before I'm finally ready to bring all of my power to bear on Itza, they surprise me by pulling out a half decent (and slightly plague-ridden) army and heading toward one of my less-protected settlements. Knowing I can't reach the settlement in time, I grit my teeth and manually play the battle using only the garrison army. Thanks to spell spam and meatshields, I take losses but win pretty handily.

Then they bring a second army and reinforce the survivors from the first.

My garrison is considerably weakened from the last scrap, and this battle goes a lot longer. Knowing I don't stand a chance in a fair fight, I continually summon rats from beneath the earth to flank their already-low-HP main lord. Killing him puts a dent in their army's morale, giving me a glimpse of hope. I spread my forces and keep peppering the enemy with ranged attacks until I'm completely drained of ammo and magic. Somehow, it works. Using a force half the size of the lizardmen army (and with way less than half the armor), I barely manage to hold together my quickly-routing rat troops and send the enemy scurrying. Two turns later Skrolk and his right hand man sweep through the lizard lands like a pox-fueled freight train and gobble them up like... well, like Skaven gobble up their enemies.

They're kinda gross, these rat people. I love them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:55:28 pm by Nighthawk »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • got it all worked out, don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: July 20, 2020, 04:55:37 pm »

After setting up an undercity that spouted plague like the internet spouts memes

I see no difference.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: July 20, 2020, 11:27:38 pm »

100%ed Mario Odyssey.

Amusingly, the hardest moon to get was not the Darker Side gauntlet.  No, for me, it was the stupid volleyball moon.  The worst part was that it didn't get hard until you'd spent like 90 full seconds of bouncing the ball around in slow motion, so practicing for it was impossible.  I eventually ended up resorting to the 2-player cheap way to get that moon, and don't even feel bad.

Jump rope wasn't that hard for me for some reason, but I also kind of cheesed it by throwing Cappy to get 2 jumps at a time near the end.  Ended up getting about 160 jumps.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: July 21, 2020, 06:20:52 pm »

After several long and very frustrating attempts, I looked up a guide to beat Barthendalus*. What I had been doing was using either Fang or Snow for their Sentinel role to tank Barty-boy's Destrudo attack, which was otherwise a total wipe. Unfortunately, every boss battle has a hidden timer that, when it runs out, inflicts Doom; a timer with an instant kill at the end that cannot be stopped by any means.

The guide said instead put Sazh and Vanille in, so Vanille can crap out debuffs and Sazh inflicts physical damage. Lightning handles magic, plus healing via cramming potions down everyone's throat.

It worked. I refuse to believe it worked, but it worked. The guide(or rather, a single post offering advice) said it would take about 6 minutes, 30 seconds and about 20-25 potions. I did it in about 4:30, and took less than 10 potions. I've barely bothered with equipment upgrades.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: July 21, 2020, 11:05:57 pm »

I have to agree.  The game felt like a colossal waste of time to me, and I sometimes regret forcing myself to complete it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: July 22, 2020, 09:27:14 am »

After several long and very frustrating attempts, I looked up a guide to beat Barthendalus*. What I had been doing was using either Fang or Snow for their Sentinel role to tank Barty-boy's Destrudo attack, which was otherwise a total wipe. Unfortunately, every boss battle has a hidden timer that, when it runs out, inflicts Doom; a timer with an instant kill at the end that cannot be stopped by any means.

The guide said instead put Sazh and Vanille in, so Vanille can crap out debuffs and Sazh inflicts physical damage. Lightning handles magic, plus healing via cramming potions down everyone's throat.

It worked. I refuse to believe it worked, but it worked. The guide(or rather, a single post offering advice) said it would take about 6 minutes, 30 seconds and about 20-25 potions. I did it in about 4:30, and took less than 10 potions. I've barely bothered with equipment upgrades.

Yeah, I feel like Final Fantasy peaked with 6, and with the exception of 8 -> 9, each consecutive game was slightly less interesting.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: July 23, 2020, 08:14:53 am »

Yeah, I feel like Final Fantasy peaked with 6, and with the exception of 8 -> 9, each consecutive game was slightly less interesting.

I've always felt the Enix side of things was much stronger, particularly their non-DQ stuff. Act Raiser (of which there was only one), Ogre Battle, EVO, the Dark Gaia trilogy, Valkyrie Profile, and to a lesser extent, Robotrek (mostly for their equipment system). (No comment on Star Ocean. Never actually played any of them.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:21:26 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: July 23, 2020, 08:22:56 am »

I've always felt the Enix side of things was much stronger, particularly their non-DQ stuff. Act Raiser (of which there was only one), Ogre Battle, EVO, the Dark Gaia trilogy, Valkyrie Profile, and to a lesser extent, Robotrek. (No comment on Star Ocean. Never actually played any of them.)

Probably true. Although each individual company was significantly better than they were combined.

Also, Robotrek was a good idea. I can only imagine what it would have been if there was a series that still existed (like dragon quest). Look how much better the follow-ups to Soul Blazer were.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: July 23, 2020, 03:38:39 pm »

Survived all campaigns in the entire game.

Scored about 1200 points and had a very high virtue.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9880 on: July 24, 2020, 04:56:02 pm »

(No comment on Star Ocean. Never actually played any of them.)

Star Ocean 2 was very good and one of my top RPGs on a system that had several good contenders. I never played the first one, and the third literally ruined the entire series both going backwards and forwards with the stupidest plot twist possible. I'd recommend only playing the second one and leaving it at that.

Spoiler: For the curious (click to show/hide)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: July 25, 2020, 08:23:03 pm »

(No comment on Star Ocean. Never actually played any of them.)

Star Ocean 2 was very good and one of my top RPGs on a system that had several good contenders. I never played the first one, and the third literally ruined the entire series both going backwards and forwards with the stupidest plot twist possible. I'd recommend only playing the second one and leaving it at that.

Spoiler: For the curious (click to show/hide)

Regarding the spoiler: "That came out at the around the same time as .Hack//Sign, didn't it." (Yep. 2002, and 2003 for SO3.) That kind of an ending was totally fitting for that time.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: July 25, 2020, 10:35:35 pm »

SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: July 27, 2020, 01:06:53 pm »

Finally had the nerve to go all the way and finish all 1000 rooms.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: July 27, 2020, 09:26:25 pm »

- be burger king
- roll archipelago on a shuffle map
- start with crappy low gold continent, but expand up north to 5 gem tiles in one city's cross worth of land
- rush to optics, gain surprising monopoly on knowing everyone
- choiciest of tech trades
- first pick of colonial lands
- Meet the cast of this game:  ghandi, fredrick, isabelle, darius, de gualle, churchhill, hammi, gilgamesh, shaka, monte, toke, and ragnar
- oh good, a cadre of warmongers on a large map for them to circlejerk around
- ally with churchhill and darius, two great tech buddies
- betray both as I try to balance the relationships.
- end up sided with ragnar and darius, despite betray darius
- break up monty/shaka/ragnar alliance by getting shaka to convert and getting issabelle to dow
- get dowed by shaka and his stack of longbows.  While I have mech infantry
- found sushi company, settle all of the icelands and profit off of literal nothing.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 708