Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1274184 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9915 on: September 13, 2020, 06:49:12 am »

Finished the campaign in the best way possible. While my sub-commander was duking it out with the two enemy commanders(and winning, somehow), I quietly dropped a fabricator on the only other moon with metal on it; it was small enough to build a Halley engine on it. Then I retreated my commander to the orbit of a nearby gas giant to watch the fireworks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: September 14, 2020, 11:38:46 pm »

4 Dwarves entered the ice cavern. It was immediately clear it would be a dangerous affair; precious ores and metal veins dangling over a 100 foot drop to the bottom. The intrepid dwarves strung ziplines across the cavern, perching precariously on small islands floating amidst the darkness. Carefully, methodically, they mined paths along the outer edge of the cavern, working their way between egg hatcheries, battling the swarm of aliens until they'd reached the cavern floor. That's when the blizzards started, plaguing them as they recovered gunk seeds shot off their stalks hung high in the cavern ceiling. At the last egg hatchery the found a cul-de-sac and fought off the largest swarm, aliens crawling down the sides of the cavern walls to chew their faces off, while giant stalactites broke loose from the ceiling to smash down into the middle of the fight. They persevered, and once all the resources were safely stowed away, they carefully made their way back to the top of the cavern to call for evac. Their planning paid off; the drop pod arrived a mere stone's throw away from them. There was one beard raising moment when one dwarf nearly fell to their doom while riding the zipline across the cavern and was knocked loose, but was saved by the impromptu platforms the Engineer had built previously. They all evac'd safely and went back to the station to get drunk.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:35:52 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #9917 on: September 16, 2020, 08:01:17 pm »

Join 10 player game, see only set to 1 imposter instead of 2 like was said in matchmaking. I get imposter. Go around pretending to do tasks, build up trust, acting exactly like I'm innocent and doing some sabotages that I go and fix so people never suspect me. Then, when not been seen for awhile make kill, sabotage them away from the kill, and go fix that sabotage as alibi. Let mistrust accumulate amongst everyone else, so that innocents get voted off then the voter of the innocent gets voted off. Slowly wittle it down until only 2 crewmates left because they voted out innocent 3rd. Sabotage to prevent emergency, get a kill and get the win.

Managed to win 9-1 as imposter, booyah. Same lobby, 6 of us stayed so we decide to play. Figure hey get to play relaxing 5-1 next after that stress, surely I won't be imposter twice! Oh, I am. Okay then. Repeat until only 2 crewmates left and body found, get them both arguing to me that the imposter is clearly the other one. Win game.

Turns out I can be bit of a psychopath when I put my mind to it.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:17:36 pm by MorleyDev »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: September 16, 2020, 08:37:12 pm »

I got the wrapper off of a now and later and left no paper behind whatsoever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: September 16, 2020, 09:26:29 pm »

I got the wrapper off of a now and later and left no paper behind whatsoever.

Ah, but the question is: Did you manage to get it off your teeth without ripping the tooth out first?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: September 21, 2020, 09:10:01 am »

Down to the last floor, and things were looking dire - I'd only just managed to survive the waves of regular angels, and the Heart was hurting - it wouldn't survive a single round against the Seraph. Speaking of Seraph, he's coming into the final floor only slightly hurt - only down to ~2,000 HP (from his starting ~3,000).

I've only got a single demon on the floor, but he's a good one - a tough double striker, who has been spending all game feasting on morsels to buff his stats. Unfortunately, it's not going to be enough - I can see that I'm only going to inflict about 1,000 damage.

So I have to roll the dice - I cast a random resurrection spell. There's nine units in my graveyard, and only one that might save me. I beat the odds, and pull my champion unit - a giant morsel, which transfers all its stats to whatever eats it. Drop it behind my other demon, and I can see that we're now up to to 1,300 damage - better, but not enough. The problem is that the resurrected unit will 'burn out' after a single turn unless you have a spell in-hand that buffs that stat... which I do.

Cast the spell on the morsel, which ups its lifetime up to three turns. It's buffing the demon in front of it by 100 damage and 40 health each of those turns - which turns into 200 extra damage each turn, since the demon hits twice.

It's enough - just barely. The turn plays out, and I see my final demon get down to single digit HPs just as the final attack goes out. Covenant 20 win!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:12:04 am by AlStar »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: September 21, 2020, 11:49:37 pm »

It was, by far, the largest map I've ever seen. Mine a shit load of Morkite, kill some Fleas, and there's Gold Rush. But oh, also Low O2.

We played for almost two hours on one map, because of the constant stop and wait for air. Along the way, we killed _6_ Detonators.

Based on past experience in cave systems that big, we'd learned you don't just call for evac right from where you are, because we've seen the drop pod be so far away the Mule can't actually reach it in time and it just teleports it, leaving you SOL.

So we retreated back through the cave system a good ways before calling for evac.

And immediately guessed the wrong way and started moving as soon as it arrived. We all start heading the direction we think we should go, before realizing the Mule isn't head back toward our initial insertion point....it's heading back to the bottom.

Panic sets in immediately. Scattered, we scramble to catch up to the Mule for its oxygen. One friend goes down, and I immediately dismiss the idea of rescuing him. We have no resupply, I'm on the last dregs of ammo, AND I'm running low on O2. I grapple gun my ass off past swarms of bugs, racing to catch up to the Mule. I reach it and replenish some O2 when my other friend calls out "Oh god, don't fall in the hole!"

I grapple gun again right into the darkness and as I'm coming off my line, I fall DIRECTLY into said hole, waiting there right in the line of our evac. And right about this moment the friend who shouted out says he's down.

I start falling, and it's a loooonnnnnnggg fall. I hit the wall and take a shit load of damage, about 80% of my life, skip off it and start falling again. I figure this is it, I must have plunged down one of the holes created by our resupply pods that have swiss cheesed the map, and our run is officially boned. But on instinct I take out my grapple gun and fire it at the wall just as it comes off cooldown, locking on. That's when I notice the sheer SIZE of the hole I fell in. I look down.

And straight at the roof of the drop pod. I'm about a meter? above the ceiling of the cavern it landed in, literally grappled at the absolute last second before plummeting to my death. And sitting next to me, on a little ledge just outside the drop pod hole, is my friend who'd fallen in ahead of me.

I rez him and we get in the drop pod. We briefly consider getting my other friend, who is only 40 or so meters away (somehow) with several minutes left until the pod leaves, but the 7th Bulk Detonator of the night making directly for the pod puts paid to that idea, and we just evac.

16k gold and 16k experience for a 2 hour run. And the last second panic grapple was literally the difference between a victory and crashing to my death on top of the drop pod in shame.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 01:04:22 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: September 23, 2020, 02:46:30 am »

Kicked dad's butt using Aegis, for the first time ever. It was a close fight, but I won out with the incredible power of... blocking stuff.
Followed it up by getting whooped without even reaching him, but quickly redeemed myself by absolutely smoking him using Exagryph. I viciously hurled all forms of explosive ordnance, including hangover (aka poison) inducing shockwaves from my very-spammable Call ability. I'm starting to like my pal Dionysus quite a lot.

Edit - Aaaand, I just escaped again, this time with Choronacht (bow). Once again, the hangover damage over time was absolutely trucking. Dionysus rocks.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:59:09 pm by Nighthawk »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »

Learned how to operate a barely functional 3D modeling program to make a decent(in my opinion, which could be wrong) early game combat ship.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: September 25, 2020, 01:10:17 am »

Apparently I completed the entire campaign of Dying Light in less than 15 minutes.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: September 25, 2020, 02:05:55 am »

Apparently I completed the entire campaign of Dying Light in less than 15 minutes.
That... is pretty hilarious. Did you get an achievement for it, too?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: October 04, 2020, 12:21:30 pm »

Destroyed the asteroid threatening my homeworld, with about 3 hours to spare. Would have done it much sooner, but twice I had to return to my homeworld because I never picked up a beam weapon lens. In the end I took just a few shots to destroy it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: October 04, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »

I found *too much* resources in No Man's Sky (a game about collecting resources and making stuff out of them). I found 23 alien devices that each gave 1 navigation data, or rarely a piece of information that told where a suit upgrade was, then another 8-ish. I use around 4 on the planets I'm exploring enough to use them on (although the suit upgrade data always gets used).

That's aside from the obscene amount of money I made while exploring the ocean trying to find new animals for a few hours. I'll just assume that planet is bugged, because 2/6 sea animals show up ever.

Finding out that 3/5 of the "junk" items can be turned into nanites (rare-ish currency for upgrades) didn't hurt, either.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: October 07, 2020, 01:17:35 pm »

Couldn't leave things on a defeat

So Tar Fields again on Mindustry, with the goal to not only get the thorium ores i needed to unlock the thorium reactor but to prepare my defense to destroy that damned boss that comes if you start wave 31

This time i built a lot more of anti air cannons (the scatter thingy) than i usually make, judging from my past defeat that now it should be enough.

It went well, until wave 30 there's nothing much to fear , some basic defense and guns will be enough to stop any intrusion (the air units being more of a laugh considering how much more scatter cannons i had this time).

Then despite my launch pads certainly had saved enough thorium, i still launched wave 31 to see if that boss would finally give up against my better prepared battlefield.

It was still insanely resilient and managed to destroy a bunch of things, but i had enough scatter cannons left to finally destroy the flying annoyance.

After that up to wave 40 it was again very easy, and i decided to end the game there as i imagine i had way more Thorium saved than i needed and i had other things to do anyways :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: October 07, 2020, 08:14:25 pm »

Slay the Spire downfall mod. Endless mode, certain future, guardian, just ascension 1, but still. Stasis engines (Play 3 zero cost cards, get 1 energy, draw one -- one upgraded and thus innate, two more unupgraded in deck), mummified hand, dead branch. Lots of crystal shivs and wards. It was happening occasionally before the end of the first round, but by act 3 take two... I'm infinite, turn one. Every fight since one in the second cycle act 1. Not only do I not run out of energy or cards, I'm massively energy positive by the time the second or third stasis engine gets in play (helped along by a couple +energy bauble beams).

And it's, like. Scaling infinite, so it still wrecks time eater. Plenty of block, strength and dex goes up between kunai and shuriken and momentary boosts+artifact charges. Crystal beam (scales with socketed gems) and well over a dozen socketed gems. This has gotten delightfully silly. It's like a mummified hand/dead branch silent shiv deck, except all your backflips and whatnot also give you shivs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 708