Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292970 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3300 on: October 11, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »

So I'm playing as England, and my first goal is to (re?)unite the British Isles. I send King William the Conqueror up north from London and declare war on the savage Scots, attacking my first target: a large army led by the heir to the Scottish throne.

It's the dead of winter in some patchy woods, and I decide to be cunning. My cavalry is out in the open, along with a couple of units of spear militia, but the bulk of my forces (including three units of skilled English bowmen) are hidden in the trees.

The Scots charge, of course, the unwashed barbarians that they are, and run straight into the steel rain of arrows that my archers unleash. My cavalry brushes aside their own, the Scot heir is soon killed, and before long the brutes begin to break and flee. My cavalry have a field day hunting them down, and the only reason any Scots survive is because there were simply too many to kill before a few escape off the map.

In the end, my infantry is virtually untouched while my light cavalry took the most losses. We captured over 300 enemy soldiers, all of whom were put to the sword, and now we begin the siege of Edinburgh where the king of Scots awaits with his pitiful home garrison.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: October 11, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »

They told me I could be anything I wanted, so I became Emergency Kerbal Rescue Guy.

Before .25, I still messed around with Science mode, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to play the game with financial constraints until this version was released. As soon as I noticed the refunds given to the player for part recoveries, I came to a realization. SSTOs don't suck. They save you monies.

A little while later of performing science missions and tests in a prototype SSTO I whipped together, I got a mission to rescue a stranded Kerman in orbit. I took the SSTO up, rescued the Kerbal, and brought him back onto the Space Center runway with the plane looking just like it did when it left. Every part got recovered, so all I have to pay for is fuel. Iron Fruit Reusable Spaceplanes, saving money in style since 2014.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: October 12, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

Is it ownage if the only thing you did was search a pile of rubbish and find a legendary revolver that shoots acid and regenerates ammo?

Because that's what I did. It's a pretty great revolver, I've killed lots of bandits with it so far.

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: October 12, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »

Is it ownage if the only thing you did was search a pile of rubbish and find a legendary revolver that shoots acid and regenerates ammo?

Because that's what I did. It's a pretty great revolver, I've killed lots of bandits with it so far.

Keep a hold on it. Acid damage is very helpful near the end of the game when many enemies have armor. I had a named corrosive revolver that, despite being several levels old, could reliably two-shot enemy mooks.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: October 12, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »

I am successfully fending off the alien invasion of Earth. Each of my main bases has at least 3 Marauder-class interceptors; 2 is enough to shoot down any given UFO or group of UFOs. There's also a few lower-grade interceptors, in case all the Marauders are busy. The only obstacle to my having a lot more Marauders is a lack of Alenium. I usually airstrike crashsites instead of recovering them, so I don't get the materials. When I do recover them, my ground team all have mag weapons and sentinel armor (except for the heavy weapons gal, who has predator armor). All but one of the starting squad are in the current assault team, so they all have really high stats.
I've maxed out funding from most nations. I might have to start Operation: Endgame sometime soon; I'm running out of things to do.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: October 12, 2014, 05:10:30 pm »

I am successfully fending off the alien invasion of Earth. Each of my main bases has at least 3 Marauder-class interceptors; 2 is enough to shoot down any given UFO or group of UFOs. There's also a few lower-grade interceptors, in case all the Marauders are busy. The only obstacle to my having a lot more Marauders is a lack of Alenium. I usually airstrike crashsites instead of recovering them, so I don't get the materials. When I do recover them, my ground team all have mag weapons and sentinel armor (except for the heavy weapons gal, who has predator armor). All but one of the starting squad are in the current assault team, so they all have really high stats.
I've maxed out funding from most nations. I might have to start Operation: Endgame sometime soon; I'm running out of things to do.
You need to build some Furies.  The fury is the ultimate middle finger to the allium horde.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: October 12, 2014, 05:53:25 pm »

You need to build some Furies.  The fury is the ultimate middle finger to the allium horde.
I am aware of this. I've got one singularity core saved up specifically for that purpose, should the need arise.

As it happens, I just upped the ante to 4 marauders apiece, as well as some of the semi-obsolete Foxtrots and Corsairs. 2 Foxtrots and 1 Corsair can shoot down just about anything the can catch, so I'm good there, too.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: October 12, 2014, 06:16:05 pm »

Keep a hold on it. Acid damage is very helpful near the end of the game when many enemies have armor. I had a named corrosive revolver that, despite being several levels old, could reliably two-shot enemy mooks.

Yeh, I know. It's greatness is enhanced by the fact I'm playing a revolver based Mordecai. I can just spray and pray and aim for powerful crit shots thanks to the regenning ammo, or I can use it to apply corrosion to enemies then swap to a masher for more masher damage, or I can use it to apply corrosion before switching to my spiked shotgun to melee for insane damage, or I can use it to regen revolver ammo after using my masher a ton.

It's a level 22 weapon, I'm level 30 now, still wrecking with it. 's very good, yes.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: October 12, 2014, 08:36:41 pm »

I am aware of this. I've got one singularity core saved up specifically for that purpose, should the need arise.

As it happens, I just upped the ante to 4 marauders apiece, as well as some of the semi-obsolete Foxtrots and Corsairs. 2 Foxtrots and 1 Corsair can shoot down just about anything the can catch, so I'm good there, too.

Ahem.

Whatever that is, I imagine they could shoot it down too.

Actually, is the Fury worth it? 50 Alenium is a pretty major investment; you could build 2 Marauders with the same materials. Anyway, doesn't the Fury destroy any and all potential loot?

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: October 12, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »

I think the game they're talking about is Xenonauts, a quite nifty X-Com classic remake/clone.

no more meteors please, think of the children ;_;

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:31 pm »

Also amazing! Love that game.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:22 pm »

I think the game they're talking about is Xenonauts, a quite nifty X-Com classic remake/clone.

Precisely. And yes, no more meteors. Instead we get lots of UFOs.

EDIT: I just took down anothe alien base. This one had a Praetor in it. My two assault troopers (read: they have coilgun scatterguns) soloed the base, everyone else just stayed inside the starting room and shot at anything that came in the other door.

I'm imagining the Xenonauts renting a bunch of bulldozers and carving the silhouettes of a bunch of Praetor helmets next to their base.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:37:53 pm by tahujdt »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:54 am »

On the note of lucky finds: started an Anonymous Argon start, jumped into Venturer's Sentinel only to find a Xenon M2 blowing the entire sector up.  I basically fished around the fringes and picked up an abandoned Super Dolphin (small freighter), Hyperion Phantom (passenger transport armed like a corvette), Elite (medium fighter), and two Novas (heavy fighters), along with some assorted detritus and other hulls I can't recall, though the Super Dolphin was blasted into dust before it could escape the system.  After selling what I didn't want to use immediately, I still had enough to fully outfit the Hyperion and pick up a freighter of my own to start making cash on something other than salvage runs.  Also managed to rescue around half the bailed pilots and get them to a medical bay in time, even when it sometimes brought me just barely within firing range of the M2's heavy weapons.  I'm fairly certain I have the Teladi to thank for the fact that the local laws of salvage applies even if the hull is still hot from the heat of the enemy cannons, as long as I didn't shoot them down myself. 

EDIT: Phantom, not a Hyperion.  The Hyperion actually is an M6 corvette; the Phantom is the TP often compared to it. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:32:31 am by Culise »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: October 13, 2014, 12:42:24 pm »

That was actually a comet anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: October 13, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »

I DID IT

I BEAT S8-CROWN

I AM THE KING OF SUPER MARIO BROTHERS AND HAVE CONQUERED THE GAME

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 709