Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292640 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #8160 on: November 14, 2017, 12:38:24 pm »

Don't you mean "Paladin Heavy Cruiser"?. Crusaders are the defensive destroyer class, though "defensive" doesn't mean much with how ridiculous Templar weapons are.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: November 14, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »

The only near miss was when a bounty contract said the enemy captain piloted an Onslaught (A heavy but slow capital with massive armor reserves and powerful frontal weaponry), which was true and well within my known ability to kill. Just maneuver behind and rip its engines off with sustained fire. What the bounty failed to mention was that the enemy captain's second was piloting a Paragon, and was exactly as skilled as the primary captain. For clarity, the Paragon is the best ship in the vanilla game, and not something I'd ever fought before.
That's hilarious.  Guess they thought no one would take the contract if they were honest about it.

For the reference of anyone who doesn't play the game, a Paragon takes a little less than half of your max fleet capacity.  There is a scripted scenario that requires you to fight an entire full-capacity fleet with nothing but a single Paragon and no other advantages.  Its... really something else.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: November 14, 2017, 01:27:49 pm »

Don't you mean "Paladin Heavy Cruiser"?. Crusaders are the defensive destroyer class, though "defensive" doesn't mean much with how ridiculous Templar weapons are.

Whoops, I do. I confused its class with the destroyer I recovered that typically acts as his support buddy.

The only near miss was when a bounty contract said the enemy captain piloted an Onslaught (A heavy but slow capital with massive armor reserves and powerful frontal weaponry), which was true and well within my known ability to kill. Just maneuver behind and rip its engines off with sustained fire. What the bounty failed to mention was that the enemy captain's second was piloting a Paragon, and was exactly as skilled as the primary captain. For clarity, the Paragon is the best ship in the vanilla game, and not something I'd ever fought before.
That's hilarious.  Guess they thought no one would take the contract if they were honest about it.

For the reference of anyone who doesn't play the game, a Paragon takes a little less than half of your max fleet capacity.  There is a scripted scenario that requires you to fight an entire full-capacity fleet with nothing but a single Paragon and no other advantages.  Its... really something else.

EDIT: Yeah, and I actually briefly had both the Onslaught and the Paragon operational on the same screen. I spent so much time hiding behind the Onslaught it's not even funny.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:29:41 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:21 pm »

What genre is Starsector? Sounds like some space 4x.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: November 14, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »

2d top-down spacegame. You command one or more ships and go around the galaxy making money by trading and fighting.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: November 14, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »

Some grinding up about 10-15 levels, including creating and raising an Escarglow for Second Chance(which saves you with 1HP), and Xehanort wasn't so tough. Died only once, to the bullshit whip-cage move that has no warning before it hits and bypasses Second Chance since it's a multi-hit.

Also died only once to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
because the final part is some gimmick challenge with no instructions.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: November 15, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »

Punched the Uber-Ethereal to death.

This is actually my first win in XCOM:EW. The greatest obstacle is not difficulty, but length. Still, made it through and got to end it in a very absurd way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: November 16, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »

A few months after Hitler decided to start the party early and invade Poland, FDR wins an over 40%(out of four choices) vote. Researching Antibiotics a few years before the real-life introduction, completing less than a week before the election, probably bumped up the polls a bit.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: November 18, 2017, 09:44:10 pm »

Launched a mission to the mun to collect some data from orbit. First stage went off okay, solid rocket boosters did their job fine. Second stage did a cartwheel before leveling out but had no further trouble pushing itself into orbit and its payload 7/8s of the way into a mun encounter. Final engine stage started off without a hitch. Then i remembered I didnt have solar panels yet so i had to rely on the batteries and the alternator in the engine. The batteries didnt last the full trip to the periapsis burn qnd i had to try three times to get a burn that would correct my terrible planning, allow me to collect that scientific data, swing around the mun and back towards kerbin with only 387 m/s dv to spare, and on a near-circular orbit which would result in another mun encounter, and collision, in 3/4 of an orbit around kerbin. So i finally coerced that into an aerobraking capture at around 50km up in the atmosphere, that was the best i could do. So we coasted in and entered the atmosphere...

And then the fun began. I thought having a heat shield at both ends of the craft was sufficient, but turns out they didnt adequately cover the materials bay in the middle of the ship. It overheated and exploded before i knew what was going on.

So now the ship is cut in half, with the cockpit flying off ahead and the passenger module pagging behind. I deployed the chutes on the cockpit module, but the passenger module had no electrical batteries attached. Its spinning out of control and i have no way to deploy the chutes. Since this is in atmosphere decelerating at a hundred m/s^2, it would be suicide to try to do an EVA to deploy them. All i can fucking do is pray. And apparently the kraken had mercy because both the command module and passenger module escaped the atmosphere again before making a final descent. The command module would take half an hour to swing hack around, but the passenger module got a mere 2 minutes or something above the atmosphere. I quickly deployed jeb to deploy the chutes, and stowed him away again. Then round two began. There was still no way to control the craft at all, but thankfully this time its spin was fairly benign, and the passenger cabin was dragging behind the heat shield. No further explosions, but everything was red and the heat indicator bars were terrifyingly close to the cap. And then it slowed enough to begin to cool off. And then the chutes deployed. It landed safely and both jeb and bill survived the trip. Since the passenger module contained most of my collected data, i got that sweet, sweet science.

Then i just had to land the command module. I had bill repack the chutes just in case something went wrong and redid the staging order to ensure it would deploy on command. Then round three began. And as the command module plummeted into the atmosphere at 3km/s, i was rudely reminded that bill is a scientist, not a pilot, and shouldnt have even been in the cockpit when i was attempting reentry in the first place. So he couldnt stabilize the module on his own. So im sitting there tapping buttons to correct its spin while trying to spin it just enough to keep the tiny .625m heat shield in the way of the majority of the heat. It was just wobbling back and forth endlessly, and i swear that heat bar came within a pixel of 100% capacity multiple times, but amazingly it survived! I deployed the chutes and coasted safely to a splashdown in the middle of the ocean. With the service bay containing the experiments intact on the bottom of the command module! More science! And no deaths!

So i spent that science on some control tech and the first tier solar panels, as well as some new engines and fuel. Now its bed time.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:47:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: November 18, 2017, 11:39:46 pm »

Technically I died in the end, but I’m counting it as an own.

I join a public game - The Diamond on (I think) Overkill, and I spawn in with Hitman and a trio of sub machine guns.

Near the very end of the heist, someone Leeroy Jenkins into the room containing the diamond, triggering the gas trap in that room. In the ensuing chaos, three of my teammates go down and get put in custody, but I’m able to slip out and start an epic shootout where at least two dozers get shot down.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: November 19, 2017, 02:38:01 am »

I brought a stack of early-game Lizardmen to a fight, got ambushed by Lord Skrolks personal asshole stack AND a Tier V City plus Tier V Wall's garrison.

1.5k troops, mostly Saurus Warriors with Shields, against things like Stormvermin and Warp-Lightning Cannons, 5k of them.

I came out of it with less than 200 troops left.

How is this "How did you last own?" I hear you ask?

They came out with the same.

I effectively broke two endgame stacks with one early-game stack.

Total War Warhammer 2.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: November 19, 2017, 05:40:48 am »

Got my first gold medal in the Arcade Mode.

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: November 19, 2017, 08:18:14 pm »

Building some semi-realistic ships lately, based on lengths and widths of actual real-life(mostly WWII-era) ships. Also adding spaces for (imaginary) crew.

Latest design is a 90-something meter(1 block=1 meter) frigate. Crew space is 140 bunks, plus a CO's cabin behind the bridge, and the galley located below crew quarters. Power is provided by a fuel/electric hybrid: the fuel engine provides 2600-2700 engines of power(at 100% it gives about 140ppf due to turbocharger setup), the electric motors give over 12k power. I haven't added the guns or shields yet(it's a base design for future models), and much of the ship still floods from the open gun-housings, but it still kicks up to around 17 knots(1m/s is just under 2 knots; for comparison, the 93.8m-long Lock-class frigate goes 20 knots).

Really looking forward to seeing this ship armed and put into battle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: November 20, 2017, 11:23:21 pm »

I suplex'd a train.

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: November 21, 2017, 02:11:30 pm »

Killed four Ultramarines with a ludicrous amount of AK47 ammo.

ACWA/OFP WH40K mod.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 709