Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1260297 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9330 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:46 am »

I did this to myself without needing master mode because I just kept walking into high level areas and trying to finesse the enemies because it's fun playing games in unintended ways and succeeding. In certain ways it's not that different from a SL1 Dark Souls playthrough, which I had a blast with.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:21:54 am by Parsely »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:47 am »

Did the Codex coordinates mission. My Ranger with Arashi, Katana, Bladestorm, Reaper, Blademaster, Wraith armor, and Talon rounds got to fight like 12 Chryssalids and a Gatekeeper by himself. I made the Chryssalids look like a bunch of idiots. Half got Reaped, the other half Burrow-reaction attacked during the Reaper sprint and died to Bladestorm. The Gatekeeper got stabbed once them shot at the end of the Reaping. Feels good man.

XCOM2
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: March 21, 2019, 08:01:45 pm »

A ratman warband struck my main base just as my 4 healthy gals flew out.  The 13 wounded gals refused to leave the onsen, so I had... 3 dogs and a cat.  Versus 2 blood hounds, 2 dogs, a mob lieutenant, and 5 brigands.

The cat turned out to be an agility-tank, they just couldn't hit her in melee.  And dogs can do a lot of damage, particularly when ambushing low-armor targets.  It was a massacre!

The only hit I took was the last brigand, who apparently slipped past and hid in the opposite corner of my base  >:(  I kept passing the turn until he got revealed on 15, then chased him down.  He shot my cat with a crossbow.
(she survived)

I remembered dogs are amazing in base defense, and it was only ratmen, but still pretty happy about that.  I'm just imagining the away team returning to blood-streaked walls, mysterious lack of corpses, just some happy dogs holding wallets and other loot in their mouths.

X-Piratez
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9333 on: March 22, 2019, 05:47:55 pm »

On X-Piratez i recently researched overcharged radars (they're on the way for hyperwave decoder, though i am still missing several researches as it's a long path before reaching them)
After building one of this kind of radar in every of my bases i noticed it simply doubled the detection range and got me a nice coverage of Europe, Asia and Africa.
Still missing a base in central america that should cover both continent on i have an overcharged radar there.

That's great as i am now spotting a lot more of those landing shipping than usual.
According to description that radar jam stuff in landing ship and can make them crash instead, but i didn't observed that so far, not sure it's working.

In the same time i'm starting to get some stronger opposition on mission, a good thing that every Gals have grenade launchers to complement their recently acquired combat shotguns (the main attraction of those shotgun is they can go auto , dealing 3 shots in a row).
On the latest mission it was a medium ufo landing, a dark ship of nice design filled with osiron troopers (that seems now to all have soem kind of mini rocket launcher that create big blue explosion on impact) , some small saucers and for the first time 2 big saucers (the saucers that was found in old xcom) .

I quickly understood those big saucers are really resilient and utterly devastating, i'm not sure yet what weaponry they're using but it's a green thing that insta killed a good (as she was a long time survivor) peasant that was replacing one of the several Gals that were in recovery at one of my base.

Grenade direct hits didn't seemed to have any noticable effect on them (but they do absolutely great on those armored osiron guys) , i decided to not try to go melee as the peasant death proved they have some good reaction for opportunity fire, and power to probably kill or seriously wound my Gals.
So i decided to ambush one of them , using my skybus as hard cover and get my Gals all shooting their combat shotgun auto shots.

I was wondering if it would work, and how fantastic it was, those 2 big saucers with their green shots of murder just went down after several Gals went auto shot on them.
Lucky me there was still some distance when the ambushing started, because those big saucers explode on death exactly like the ones of old xcom.
It was a triumph that the Gals partied on by re-equipping the grenade launchers and exploding the remaining osiron security troopers still roaming around their big ship.

I was close to simply edit the save in notepad++ to avoid a second month of negative score to end this current run i'm enjoying, but this victory actually rewarded lots of point, giving me a positive score this month.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:53:00 pm by Robsoie »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: March 23, 2019, 10:25:18 am »

Backstabbed then kicked and dropped Paladin Leeroy (an invader NPC) into the darkness far below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: March 24, 2019, 08:43:33 am »

First Terror Mission. And only two soldiers died! And about a dozen civilians.

Battle took place at a gas station in South Africa. At night. The highest-ranked soldier, Captain Rui Albano, was rushed by a Reaper... and was completely unharmed... which was good since he was holding a primed grenade(with a timer set to 0) and my troops were still disembarking the Skyranger. I mistook them for another melee enemy that would fully justify holding a grenade without the pin in. And I didn't have the TUs to throw it away.

The last two enemies, a pair of Floaters, took cover inside a house on the edge of the map. Moved my troops up to attack from two sides. One guy fired full auto on one, missed all his shots, but one of the missed shots instead killed the other Floater. The other team brought down the remaining Floater.

The South African government was so impressed that I saved a civilian from that massacre, they felt I could do more with less funding. I'll certainly take that into consideration next time I have to decide if I should send troops across the Atlantic.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: March 24, 2019, 10:50:59 am »

With the right mods, lots of soldiers will die in the newer games as well!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: March 24, 2019, 02:03:15 pm »

I was caught on the bridge at (I think) Riverside, and the person who was right next to me had just been shot and killed. I carefully lay down, crawled over behind a box, and waited for the shooter to approach - and I somehow got him before he got me. Quickly turning around, I was lucky enough to spot the second guard who somehow failed to kill me despite the fact I was fiddling around with reloading my weapon at the time.

I'm not sure I encountered any more resistance on my way to the briefcase and to extraction.

Another time, a colleague and I went on top of the bridge, and, just beneath the skylight on the other side, I heard some guards talking to each other about an enemy they had just shot at. Just as soon as the guard said "I think he's dead", I shot him through the glass, saying "You are!"

I think I like this game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: March 24, 2019, 05:02:05 pm »

Made a particularly heroic sushi. Kinda melted though.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: March 25, 2019, 12:51:39 am »

just don't get hit
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: March 25, 2019, 06:08:00 am »

just don't get hit

hahahaha

...I couldn't even survive to the first turn.

EDIT: Wow, a Terror mission where nobody but maybe half the civilians died. Especially bad since there were two sectoids covering the Skyranger's ramp right at the start. Nearly got ambushed from behind by another sectoid in area I thought I had cleared. And I might have leveled a few buildings killing Cyberdiscs.

Just upgraded the main strike team to Laser Rifles. They feel more damaging but less accurate. Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess I'd rather shoot and kill rather than shoot and royally piss off.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:53:46 pm by Akura »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: March 26, 2019, 12:03:01 pm »

Cleared the room of decayed guardians beneath the shrine labyrinth.  Destroying guardians is surprisingly fun once you get the master sword, but can still be quite dangerous if you're not really careful.  Slicing the legs off stuns them, but you sometimes have to shoot them in the eye to stun them first, else they may backpedal too fast to cut their legs off.

I went through a couple of fairies after I opened the chest and the stationary decayed guardians started attacking.  I had to snipe kill a few with arrows to the eye since there wasn't any safe way to approach them.

Through pain, I find wisdom.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:41 pm »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: March 27, 2019, 05:43:21 am »

Captured a landed "Very Large"(I haven't completed enough research to identify types) ship. Filled with Mutons. Ended up with several extra million just from selling the excess stuff.

For some reason, there's a ton of ships, both small and large landing on Montreal, and I just captured a scout ship landed at Chicago(my HQ is near D.C.) - landed directly on top of the city marker. Are they building a base?

Good thing it's 92HP I have, then. I've found that it's helpful to allow the Karma damage to finish before healing, and sometimes it's better to just attack(since attacking is required to progress the battle) if you've still got plenty of Karma'd HP left.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:48 am »

Captured a landed "Very Large"(I haven't completed enough research to identify types) ship. Filled with Mutons. Ended up with several extra million just from selling the excess stuff.

For some reason, there's a ton of ships, both small and large landing on Montreal, and I just captured a scout ship landed at Chicago(my HQ is near D.C.) - landed directly on top of the city marker. Are they building a base?

I'm pretty sure you're going to get the answer in a month or two.
Actual spoiler:
Spoiler: What they were trying (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Further spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good thing it's 92HP I have, then. I've found that it's helpful to allow the Karma damage to finish before healing, and sometimes it's better to just attack(since attacking is required to progress the battle) if you've still got plenty of Karma'd HP left.
I still haven't won that fight, but to be fair I didn't really want to.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 708