Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1260068 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #9525 on: September 13, 2019, 05:38:17 am »

I think this is the first time I've taken down a Thrumbo. Normally, I just ignore them. Damn thing was munching on my devilstrand field, eating several that were >90% grown and these things take about 45 days to grow. It had to die.

Milita force of 6 colonists, armed with two revolvers, a bolt-action, two pump shotguns, and a charge rifle assembled and fired en masse. The creature turned manhunter, and charged at the assembled militia. I moved the guy the thrumbo was targeting away, giving more time to keep hitting. The thrumbo soon goes down under pain shock. I order the militia to keep firing. For several minutes, they just keep shooting. And shooting. Its wound page is over a screen length. Eventually it dies.

Only one injury was received: a moderate bruise on the guy the thrumbo chased.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9526 on: September 13, 2019, 12:37:56 pm »

There's this exploit/cheese when it comes to killing thrumbo easily: You build walls around thrumbo when it sleeps and leave some beer inside the room/walls. The thrumbo can't handle the beer, and it collapses on the ground, and you can finish it off easily that way.

Oh, and make sure there's no grass inside the thrumbo room; otherwise it'll eat the grass, and then it'll make a hole in the wall and escapes.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9527 on: September 14, 2019, 08:39:21 pm »

Finally completed "I'll Be What I Am", the last of the three F-Series missions, using Beck's Sweetheart (Sweetheart/Chieftan/Faker/EMP).

Made careful use of the Faker to soften up or take out foes before they reached me - I mainly tried to predict where the enemy would be by the time the shell made contact. The big problem of mine was making sure I didn't hit myself with the Faker, but after that, things went relatively smoothly.

Hotfire90

« Reply #9528 on: September 15, 2019, 09:11:04 am »

Finished Chapter 9 after 2781 deaths.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9529 on: September 16, 2019, 05:02:51 pm »

Managed to build a nuclear reactor. Currently running on 3 fuel rods at 100% output, and it's outputting 11kW. By comparison one chemfuel or wood-fueled generator puts out 1kW. It also runs so cool(right now) that even after removing the cooling system it seemed to be kept cool by a climate-control air conditioner of the same kind used in the food freezer.

Not actually sure it's as cost effective, now that I think about it. A chemfuel generator costs 100 steel and 3 components, plus easily-made chemfuel. Not counting research and development cost, pipes, and building construction, the Type-A reactor required 1375 steel and 38 components. And that's not getting into fuel costs: 100 uranium ore->100 uranium pellets, 15 steel, and 10 silver per fuel rod. On the other hand, I have a pretty good stockpile of uranium, and further research and refining could yield better reactors and fun things like nuclear weapons.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9530 on: September 17, 2019, 05:43:22 pm »

I loaded the beta branch of Slay the Spire. It gave me 3 save slots, so I chose one. It told me to enter my name, I typed no, and the game closed.

I got an inanimate object to give up.

Edit: I had some difficulty, but won with the ironclad first run (no unlocks), won against donu and the other one with 1 hp left, then got an early scales and mercury timer with the defect (and otherwise had good luck, other than never finding a defrag). 3 attempts, 3 wins with no unlocks. Not hard, but I couldn't run mods to get rid of the terrible relics (which are only 1/3 of them).

I lost to the Collector (close fight) on my first run with the new character when I took 72 damage at once (max health 70).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:52:43 pm by Iduno »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9531 on: September 19, 2019, 08:30:52 pm »

3v3 at Bellenglise, playing as British. The map is large, with trenchworks extending out from the players' bases which gives way to open space before a wide river at the center. Fight was mostly excursions across the river to harass territory control, mostly German attacks since I was focusing on holding victory points. I caused a significant breakthrough across the river when I drove a Whippet across, causing a large gap in enemy lines. Generally, AT weapons are more limited in this mod than the base game, though artillery weapons are quite effective.

As the German victory points were counting down, I had a 4.5inch howitzer covering the north-west end of the river, and pushed a Mark V tank at the southern end. Later, I noticed my AI allies were making deep inroads into enemy territory,  and discovered the reason was because about the entire German army was fighting the Mark V. Their AT rifles had already immobilized it, but they were struggling to actually cause damage. The tank was turned so that most of its armament could return fire at the Germans, and more importantly, keeping the enemy in a fixed position for airstrikes.

I pushed troops in to assist, and they succeeded in forcing off the enemy. The tank survived and started being repaired. I had the rest of the infantry focus their attacks on a 7.4cm gun. Just as its crew were taken out, their last victory point ticked away.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9532 on: September 22, 2019, 04:27:19 am »

I beat The End.

One of my top 5 boss fights ever. It's rare to see a boss fight that gives me this much tension and anticipation. All of my grievances against this game are forgiven.

Also I got to the meme ladder lmao

Metal Gear Solid 3.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9533 on: September 22, 2019, 10:21:50 am »

How did you approach the fight?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9534 on: September 22, 2019, 12:18:15 pm »

For some reason, I thought that holding him up would end the fight right away. When it didn't, I chased him as far as I could, shooting wildly the entire time, until I lost sight. Then I would keep trying to sneak up behind him, but stop just short and shoot him with the SVD. If I did it right, he would run away without using a flashbang, which made it easier to see which map he was going to be in.

I tried putting claymores on some of his hiding spots, but he never triggered them. I also killed the parrot, though I don't know what that did for me.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9535 on: September 22, 2019, 12:54:16 pm »

I beat The End.
Also I got to the meme ladder lmao

the ladder is your reward for beating such an awesome boss.

~snakkkkeeee eater~ dun dun dun dunnnnnnn

i dont even have to look it up on youtube, i see the ladder climb with gentle snake eater lyrics over it in my minds eye.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9536 on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »

For some reason, I thought that holding him up would end the fight right away. When it didn't, I chased him as far as I could, shooting wildly the entire time, until I lost sight. Then I would keep trying to sneak up behind him, but stop just short and shoot him with the SVD. If I did it right, he would run away without using a flashbang, which made it easier to see which map he was going to be in.

I tried putting claymores on some of his hiding spots, but he never triggered them. I also killed the parrot, though I don't know what that did for me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9537 on: September 22, 2019, 02:12:25 pm »

Yes, because realism is a thing that we care about in MGS!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #9538 on: September 22, 2019, 04:29:22 pm »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9539 on: September 22, 2019, 05:19:07 pm »

Yes, because realism is a thing that we care about in MGS!

Absurdly specific true-to-life details are as much a part of MGS as cyborg ninjas and bipedal walking tanks. At least before MGS4, you could learn some pretty solid facts by calling Natasha, Miller, and Naomi in MGS1, the Colonel and Otacon in MGS2, and of course Sigint and Para-Medic in MGS3. That's not to mention all the fictional but realistic plot details like Baker's rant about nuclear waste disposal in MGS1, or the implications of the Big Shell's destruction in MGS2.

It's easy to dismiss it as just cool robots and anime stuff, but that's only skin deep.
Pages: 1 ... 634 635 [636] 637 638 ... 708