Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 708

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1275420 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10080 on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:44 am »

Game offered me to dual wield double heavy machine guns.  How could I say no?  All the damage of double miniguns with far far better accuracy and therefore better ammo economy.

Lil Hunter literally evaporated and got to loop no problem.  Ballguy Mom's final projectile killed me as I killed her.  One day I'll get her without running out of ammo, as that's how she typically ends my run.

Also, apparently the popgun family cannot benefit from recycle gland, in spite of being bullet weapons.  Go figure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Popguns use similar projectiles to shotguns, and I think they benefit from shotgun shoulders. It is a little bit awkward.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10081 on: April 01, 2021, 02:32:52 pm »

Game offered me to dual wield double heavy machine guns.  How could I say no?  All the damage of double miniguns with far far better accuracy and therefore better ammo economy.

Lil Hunter literally evaporated and got to loop no problem.  Ballguy Mom's final projectile killed me as I killed her.  One day I'll get her without running out of ammo, as that's how she typically ends my run.

Also, apparently the popgun family cannot benefit from recycle gland, in spite of being bullet weapons.  Go figure.

Popguns use similar projectiles to shotguns, and I think they benefit from shotgun shoulders. It is a little bit awkward.

I'm aware of that part, but I never noticed you can't recycle gland with them.  Probably because it wasn't until recently I've done next to nothing but spam dual bullet builds with steroids.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: April 01, 2021, 06:41:45 pm »

Corruption 8, first try. Team was... cleric, bard, druid, into bloodmage, then fallen... i.e. all healer, all the time, or at least as close as I could get to it. First act, well. First act almost killed me. Beat it with three morale left.

Second act? Second act I just flat flawlessed. Flawlessed the whole act, straight.

... third was a bit more mixed, usually losing one guy per fight with some flat losses along the way (bloody conduits), but ultimately. Ultimately, I won the run, with a mono healer spec'd party.

It probably shouldn't have worked, and the cleric coming in as MVP dps in the final boss fight was a little silly (its passive, plus symbiote+mana regen items and one that gives major blessings on active use resulting in like 200+ attack with capped out speed and mana reduction by the end of the fight), but... it did. It did work, ha.

e: Legend Creatures tells me I can brag about beating the game now :V

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 07:20:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: April 11, 2021, 05:33:39 pm »

Killed something in a live fight. I wasn't entirely confident despite using roughly half of the 450k I made in the ~12 hours of playtime trading and cargo/courier missions to buy a Viper Mk3 and associated equipment. On the Viper's medium hardpoints I equipped multi-cannons, the light hardpoints I put gimballed pulse lasers. Took an assassination mission from the mission board, and traveled to the system.

Wasn't quite sure how to find the target. Screwed up hilariously at one point because the target tried to interdict me and I broke the interdiction without realizing it was him. Eventually found and engaged the target. They had an Adder, which was easy to outmaneuver, and his shields dropped in seconds. I did have to fight him three times; the first two he jumped out at around 15%-20% hull, and when I tracked him down again he was back up to full. Somehow. Didn't run the third time, and it looked like he was taking damage faster. Scored the kill, and headed back for the reward.

EDIT: Took three massacre missions at once, one for 3 kills, two more requiring 4 kills. Partially misunderstood how these missions proceed; they also only calculate kills for one mission at a time. Meaning I needed 11 total kills. Anyway, these missions are similar to assassinations, except when you reach the target area, there's three enemy vessels at once. Only, since these were pirates(still in the Pilots' Federation zone), they're not initially hostile unless you have cargo. So, you have to initiate combat by shooting one, which aggroes the one you shoot(the rest leave).

Got bored going 1v1 with them, proceeded to aggro two at once. Still a curbstomp. I think damage got past my shield once, when one of them straight up rammed me. And I'm not even sure if that's caused the 1% damage to my paint(yes, that's something that can be damaged). I may simply have dropped out of hyperspace too close to a star.

Killed them all, turned in the missions, and my money balance has hit over 1 million for the first time.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:15:50 am by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10084 on: April 18, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »

Paint is damaged slowly just from flying around (space dust, etc), so you might not have even taken any real damage if that is the only thing you had to repair.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: April 26, 2021, 09:25:28 am »

I figured out how to fly using a corpse as a kite.

Grab a corpse. Technically, you could probably do this with a living person, but you don't want to deal with their constant flailing and screaming. It seems best to take them by the throat. Using the gravity spell(which lets you TK bodies), lock on to one of their feet and grab. Aim the limb upwards and a bit forwards, then TK push it away while still holding the body in your hand. Jump to achieve full liftoff. Be mindful of altitude and vertigo.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10086 on: April 26, 2021, 07:37:48 pm »

I figured out how to fly using a corpse as a kite.

Grab a corpse. Technically, you could probably do this with a living person, but you don't want to deal with their constant flailing and screaming. It seems best to take them by the throat. Using the gravity spell(which lets you TK bodies), lock on to one of their feet and grab. Aim the limb upwards and a bit forwards, then TK push it away while still holding the body in your hand. Jump to achieve full liftoff. Be mindful of altitude and vertigo.

Reading your post feels like I'm reading an excerpt from the records of a mad wizard studying various ways to use magic for fun and profit. And it's great.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: May 02, 2021, 07:35:48 am »

Was fighting a Green Alpha Spitter over a drop pod. After a few whacks I get knocked away. The Spitter then uses that special attack where it summons a fireball in the air that shoots multiple smaller fireballs. Then it charges at me... and promptly gets hit in the ass by its own fireball, dies, and goes flying over my head.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10088 on: May 03, 2021, 06:55:27 pm »

I'm trying to 5-star every level in Circadian Dice with the barbarian (and eventually the rest). I've completed every level in easy mode with 5-stars so far. Sunken Ghost Ship, Bandit Raid (which took a pile of gold to get the final star), and Necromancer Tower on hard.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: May 05, 2021, 04:58:17 pm »

Fighting a war against the United Empire, playing as a UE-flavored custom faction. Been sitting on a single enemy star system for the entire war; a good, 6-planet star, two star-lanes away from the UE capital.

Prior to starting this campaign, I read a guide the suggested that ships designed with almost nothing but kinetic weapons set for long range - the game itself explicitly states that kinetics are bad for long range and best for melee range. I've got seven destroyers and a corvette configured so sitting on this star system. They're lead by an admiral I accidentally hired(misclicked, was aiming for an administrator) at the very beginning of the game; they're somewhat aberrant, suicidal Craver with a specialty for defense named Storm Libera. As the war dragged on, I've been stacking as many defense skills onto it as possible as Storm leveled up.

The UE's latest and strongest attempt consisted of 10 ships(9 destroyers, 1 scout), with a total firepower slightly lower than my fleet. My fleet is moderately beat up at this point, so they've got a definite advantage. For the opening round, I played Barrier, but they countered with Adaptive Tactics. Despite that, 9 of their ships were obliterated in the first round, and the last didn't last a second into the second round. Their weapons did a total of 466 points of damage. Mine did 9289. My defense efficiency was 89%, meaning that the enemy did only slightly more than 10% of the damage they were supposed to.

Now if only this damn star system's siege defense wasn't so high I could actually conquer it in less than 80 turns(it is currently turn 81).

EDIT: Suppressed the United Empire, and kept the Amoeba in check by holding a major choke point and not ever agreeing to open borders. The entire time, there was on faction I had yet to make contact with, though their game score was barely lower than mine. They decided to say hi. ...It was the Cravers. And they had a few fleets with over triple the fleet power I could muster myself.

The first actual battle against them, my fleet was ironically led by Storm Libera. I ordered an offensive retreat. I probably should have stayed and fought, since in the one combat phase I destroyed two of their ships and took only scratch damage. They tried to launch a ground invasion, which failed because I spent over ten thousand Dust on insta-building ground-defense structures on that system the same turn the Cravers made contact.

I also quickly redirected my science efforts, and a few turns and about 30k Dust for buying them, I dropped four Dreadnoughts on their face. They combined their forces into a fleet of nearly 20 ships with a total power of over 10k. That got erased in two combat phases, with my ships being immediately repaired(via Dust). Then the fleet that ran came back and finished off another 16 or so siege ships that had no ship-to-ship combat ability.

After that, I haven't yet seen any kind of threatening force to come out from the Cravers. I think I permanently crippled their force projection, and my counter attacks may have broken their economy. The Cravers can not afford to be pushed back. Also, the increases to tax rates necessitated by the war is now giving me 1-2%/turn progress for an Economic Victory.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:58:57 pm by Akura »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: May 08, 2021, 10:39:41 pm »

Turns out helm of the mad king (increase attack damage and speed when attacked) + war mage's greatstaff (gain a shield = to attack damage when you attack) + bouncing buckler (deal damage per 100 shield gained) on a druid is ridiculously powerful.
Spoiler: game (click to show/hide)

E: Had the third item wrong... also, it happened again, on the very next run. RIP corruption 18 :V
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:37:35 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: May 09, 2021, 05:48:53 pm »

Built a small space warship, which I would classify as a corvette. Biggest achievement with this vehicle is that it can go from sea to space without using build-mode freezing, although the last few edits I did to the AI require to have a small "push" from me to pitch it up a bit out of the water. Top speed is around 120m/s. The ship is pretty tanky, spending several minutes getting pounded by a Steel Strider Norge and only losing a few blocks. For a short while, the repair bots(I disabled avatar repairs for the test) were even able to out-repair the damage. Armor consists of an outer shell with a corrugated liner, followed by a rib structure of heavy armor, with the interior walls behind that, with empty spaces between each layer and all buffed by ring shields. Construction cost is just over 100k materials, which I think is pretty good for a light spaceship as opposed to an oceanic ship.

Main weapon is a forward-mounted laser, but I've having significant issues getting the ship AI to pitch down to engage targets with it. It's easy enough to fly it manually into the laser's targeting envelope. It also has 8 .50cal machine guns it can't aim very well. As well as four missile launchers I'm going to remove because they have no range and keep targeting the ship(I forgot the IFF block); I only built them to test cluster missiles. I definitely need to add a rear AM laser, and possibly a top- or side-mounted laser turret.

Biggest problem with it is its fuel endurance. In combat or heavy maneuvers, it burns about 75 materials/sec, significantly less when idle, and holds 60k in storage. While the engine is fairly powerful, it's not enough to fully power all the thrusters and equipment though it maneuvers just fine anyways.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: May 09, 2021, 11:30:28 pm »

Playing against a radiation deck, the other player attached a trait card to my warrior that made it so I couldn't use a targeted attack that would kill another character. I then proceeded to kill his last priest with the one non-targeted warrior card in the game.

Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: May 11, 2021, 05:47:52 pm »

Won corruption 20. Mad king + clutch war mage (literally from the 3 act boss) turning the druid tank invincible carried it again~

Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: May 12, 2021, 06:48:00 am »

Took about four tries each, but I was able to beat both bonus bosses, Fitzroy and Mother's Corners. I beat Fitzroy first, though he's supposed to be harder than the Corners. In hindsight he was, because I was able to cut out 2/3rd's of the Corners fight in seconds by equipping two Tool Assists and Iron Heart and berserking whichever was closer until the damage I took made that stop working.

Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 708