Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1289457 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #10305 on: August 20, 2022, 02:15:42 pm »

Maybe everybody else holds their breath, and that's why they die so quickly.

Your characted exhales instead, and thanks to that they get that 0.5 minute of consciousness.
I mean, in reality I think you get about 10 seconds because that's how long it takes the deoxygenated (Because in vacuum your lungs start scrubbing gas out of your blood) blood to reach the brain, and the brain goes lights out almost immediately when that happens.

Had two raids by tribals. Pretty big, definitely 30+, and I held them off with 5 men. Four with FN FALs, one with a charge SMG. The only injury was a solitary SKS shot into the lung of a guy which I patched up promptly. The shooter stopped shooting to patch up the hole I gave him, which gave my SMG guy the opportunity to approach and blow his leg off.

Full auto weapons are OP against swarms of enemies. If you miss, you'll hit someone else. If you miss them too, it still provides suppression and sends everyone running for cover.

Heavily modded Rimworld
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: August 20, 2022, 04:14:25 pm »

Your characted exhales instead, and thanks to that they get that 0.5 minute of consciousness.
I mean, in reality I think you get about 10 seconds because that's how long it takes the deoxygenated (Because in vacuum your lungs start scrubbing gas out of your blood) blood to reach the brain, and the brain goes lights out almost immediately when that happens.

Actually it's between 45-90 seconds for most people, and that's just the "time of useful consciousness" i.e. the time before you start losing cognitive function. Unconsciousness takes a couple of minutes, and permanent brain damage begins at about 5 minutes without oxygen supply.

It depends on how and what you were breathing before getting decompressed but that's how long NASA estimates an astronaut to be able to operate in a completely depressurized environment. Assuming you don't slightly explode due to rapid decompression, that is.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: August 20, 2022, 07:34:58 pm »

Actually it's between 45-90 seconds for most people, and that's just the "time of useful consciousness" i.e. the time before you start losing cognitive function. Unconsciousness takes a couple of minutes, and permanent brain damage begins at about 5 minutes without oxygen supply.

It depends on how and what you were breathing before getting decompressed but that's how long NASA estimates an astronaut to be able to operate in a completely depressurized environment. Assuming you don't slightly explode due to rapid decompression, that is.
Personally I find that doubtful, when someone's successfully strangling you you get about 10 seconds before you go floppy so 60-90 for useful consciousness and 120 for unconsciousness seems very optimistic to me.

Of course, you're gonna die regardless. Your lungs will be torn up simply by the pressure differential between your blood and the vacuum, you'll be at least temporarily blind from the decompression damage to your eyes, your mucous membranes are gonna burst, you'll have bruising everywhere, and if you're orbiting the sun there'll be enough unfiltered radiation to give you a nice sunburn in the brief stint outside.

Actually why do we want to go into space again? I forget.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: August 20, 2022, 09:26:08 pm »

There's less people and more shiny things, mostly. Also it's good to have options if a planet cracking space rock decides to head for the only planet you have access to.

but yeah it's pretty hostile to most forms of life up there, not that it isn't also that down here, just... relatively less so
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: August 20, 2022, 11:24:52 pm »

Personally I find that doubtful, when someone's successfully strangling you you get about 10 seconds before you go floppy so 60-90 for useful consciousness and 120 for unconsciousness seems very optimistic to me.

Of course, you're gonna die regardless. Your lungs will be torn up simply by the pressure differential between your blood and the vacuum, you'll be at least temporarily blind from the decompression damage to your eyes, your mucous membranes are gonna burst, you'll have bruising everywhere, and if you're orbiting the sun there'll be enough unfiltered radiation to give you a nice sunburn in the brief stint outside.

With good strangulation, they also squeeze the two blood vessels on the sides of your neck that bring oxygen to your brain. That's what knocks you out so fast.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: August 20, 2022, 11:56:12 pm »

Scott Manley has a relevant video...that I did in fact misremember. It is about 5 seconds under explosive decompression, 15s with preparation. It's up to a couple of minutes before you won't recover (unassisted, anyway) from being depressurized, not before you first lose consciousness.

Space is cool and there are cool things there to be found and made and therefore we should do it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: August 21, 2022, 12:21:57 am »

There aren’t many people in space to strangle you.

Also, if all it took was 10 seconds of holding your breath for unconsciousness, swimming would be a particularly brutal sport.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: August 21, 2022, 12:30:22 am »

It's not really the lack of oxygen itself that would get you in space. It's the various other consequences of being in a zero-atmosphere environment that will generally kill you (decompression sickness, among other things), plus the fact that holding your lungs full of air in a zero-atmosphere environment would be... regrettable. Not quite your-lungs-would-explode sort of absurdity, but you wouldn't be holding your breath for long.

It's not the suffocating that'll get 'ya. You can get that well enough on Earth; go try filling a pool with liquid nitrogen and standing next to it while you do. The nitrogen displacement of oxygen will suffocate you right quick. Nah, in space, it's the lack-of-an-atmosphere (or really, lack of pressure) and all the fun things that does to the human body that'll do you in. You won't explode, but it won't be particularly painless, either.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: August 21, 2022, 12:43:55 am »

There's less people and more shiny things, mostly. Also it's good to have options if a planet cracking space rock decides to head for the only planet you have access to.

but yeah it's pretty hostile to most forms of life up there, not that it isn't also that down here, just... relatively less so

Nah, life just sucks at surviving. You might find it odd, considering that surviving is kinda the point of most things living things do, but it's true!
Take a grain of sand for example. Not a lotta things can make it stop being a grain of sand, and it can just sit around for thousands and thousands of years in a variety of environments and keep being sand. Now you try doing that and you'll probably stop being life pretty quick. Well, whether you're trying or not, really.

Earth happens to be one of those very rare points in space which is so incredibly habitable that life can stick around long enough to spread out and basically cover the whole surface of the planet. It's hot and humid and high pressure and the stuff just gets everywhere. Not nearly as much everywhere as the sand and rocks and water and air get, but it's pretty impressive for life.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: August 21, 2022, 03:00:04 am »

Dang why does space hate us, why can't it just let us float around in it all naked and stuff?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: August 21, 2022, 08:32:52 am »

Also, if all it took was 10 seconds of holding your breath for unconsciousness, swimming would be a particularly brutal sport.

If you're being strangled it's because the strangulation has also caught those blood vessels leading to and from your head, if you're in space it's because you don't have any air (and thus oxygen) in your lungs. Since if you DID attempt to retain air in your lungs like that you'd die, painfully.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: August 21, 2022, 11:54:39 am »

You’re going to die painfully anyway as the lungs aren’t the only place there’s air in your body.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: August 21, 2022, 09:52:57 pm »

. . . . but . . . the probability of being rescued from open space by a passing ship is at the probability of two to the power of 276,709 to one against . . . ;)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: August 21, 2022, 11:03:40 pm »

Alright, made a thread for this with a reply, the thread's been off the rails a little too long and it's a fun conversation.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180231.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: August 22, 2022, 04:49:42 pm »

Corp mates and I went gas huffing in a wormhole. One of them had already scanned it and thought it was clear. Big nope. The corp mate 1 starts sucking in gas while corp mate 2 is standing guard and taking down sleepers, when a proteus warps in on top of them. At this point I'm right outside the wormhole. So corp mate 2 is engaging this proteus while the other guy books it. Proteus' shields go down and it warps out, 2 calls this a victory and 1 warps back in to get gas.

Then the proteus returns, as I'm warping in as well. I get there and find 2 engaged with the proteus and an astero, while 1 is once again warping away. I engage the proteus initially, but realize the astero is the one scamming and webbing, so I switch targets. Then 2 goes down, and they turn their guns and web/scram on my caracal. My drones didn't get the memo to switch to the astero, so I give it again. Then I run out of ammo in my launchers. I knew I was dead then as my shields were nearly gone. But miraculously I survive the 35 second reload time and manage to continue firing on the astero. It's shields haven't recharged, and my missiles start tearing up its armor, then it's hull, just as their guns start ripping into mine. Then, my last salvo fires, my cruiser gives up the ghost, and I'm in my capsule. But, the very next second, my missiles complete their damage tick, and the astero pops! It's dead. A "beyond the grave" kill. I warp out, probably just in time, and do a lap around the system before returning to the exit wormhole back to known space, and amazingly, nobody's waiting there for me and I escape.

It's my first pvp kill, and his ship was worth at least twice the combined value of mine and my friends. Corp mate 1 managed to escape with his ship intact.

The proteus though, we made no gains on penetrating it's armor. At all. T3 ships are scary. 2 admits he didn't see the astero uncloak and didn't target it, was panicking, but it wouldn't matter anyway, I realized the proteus was scramming us as well. Even if we'd targeted the astero together, it would have warped out and we still wouldn't have escaped with our ships. At least we escaped with our lives, tho. I probably only got the astero kill because the guy betted he could kill me first, which was technically true.

2 needs to stop flying the most expensive ships into wormholes. A fleet issue vexor. Seriously. The astero had all expensive faction modules though, huge loss there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 04:51:24 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 709