Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with a kind of urgent question  (Read 2494 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with a kind of urgent question
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:17:40 am »

I'm cross posting this from "Life Advice" in hopes it will get more views - if that's against forum policy, sorry and feel free to remove it, but tbh this forum is about the only pool of technology-knowledgeable people I have access to and I'm hoping someone may be able to help out pretty quickly.

Short version: I found that if you google my name and college together, the first two results to pop up are a politically extremist blog with lots of inflammatory and offensive material. This is because the anonymous dickhead who runs it has posted hundreds of articles vaguely related to his topic, and I happened to have written one for my campus newspaper 2 years ago about a campus event that was connected to the topic.

I have found out it's impossible to contact a Blogger/Blogspot user who doesn't leave contact information and Google won't help you. His blog has no contact info or even an option to comment. He has another blog where you can comment, and one other guy commented three years ago with the same issue as me - no response shown. I've left a comment on that blog and tried to contact that other guy via his blog but no responses yet.

My next recourse is either to get the article removed as copyright violation, which I'm not sure it is, or to somehow try and get other pages high enough in the search results that this blog at least doesn't appear on the first page, if nothing else.

As for the former - the blog post credits my name, the newspaper's name and gives a URL to the archived story, which I believe means it's not violating any copyrights, but I could be wrong. Does anybody know anything about copyright law?

As for the latter, how are google search results arranged, anyway? I can't think of why this page would be the first to come up. And how might I go about creating other web content or influencing how search results appear that would result in this one being pushed down the ladder so it's not the first thing potential employers see when googling me? I'm going to be job searching soon and so this is a potential issue for obvious reasons. Anybody who clicked the first link and looked around would realize I had no connection to the site, but you can see why I don't it appearing as the top google result....

Thanks for any help you can give.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a kind of urgent question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:23:00 am »

The only thing I can think of is to bring it up with the campus newspaper organisation. As they were the ones who originally published it, they might have experience of some sort in matters like these.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:58 am »

This is a very good idea. I'm going to write them now. Anybody else got anything?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 12:50:33 pm »

Perform a Google search on a computer you've never used before and see what happens.  Your usage alters the priority search results.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »

I prefer to use my diplomacy skills in a situation like this. If the sales pitch fails, punch the guy out.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »

I prefer to use my diplomacy skills in a situation like this. If the sales pitch fails, punch the guy out.

Sleuth Diplomacy will solve everything.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:31:07 am »

The people you know probably know you are not an extremist dickhead, the ones you dont, dont know you anyway.  Id either tell people and have a laugh, or ignore it under the assumption that nobody who doesnt really know me would ever know both my name and the name of my college.  But thats me, and im not exactly an important guy.  Also if there is no mention of your name at all in the blog, you probably dont have an issue anyway unless the people doing the looking are crazy, narrow minded arseholes who you probably dont want to spend time with anyway
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:45:14 am »

Jester, I am pretty sure the issue here is a potential employer looking him up. And this is quite frankly a legitimate concern.

Anyway, google ranks pages using the PageRank system, which I am pretty sure knowledge of such does not help you here.

Really, I think your most realistic and best bet at this point is to get a hold of your campus newspaper like ed boy said and ask if they hold a copy write on your work. If they do, it should be relatively easy to get the blog pulled or at least some action taken.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:23:35 am »

Yeah, I get that, but from my understanding there is no violation here unless ive read the OP completely wrong, my understanding is that the blogger hasnt ripped his work off,  (generally if something is used on a blog/whatever and it is not intended for profit and/or it came from a newspaper article, as long as the quote is marked as such and credit is given to the original author then you wont have a leg to stand on copywrite wise).

If your work has been ripped and you didnt get cred you might have a chance, but bloggers are pretty much impossible to pin down, maybe you could get the blog removed, expect it to pop back up within a very short amount of time.  Depending on the field you are looking to get into, dropping a small disclaimer on the bottom of your CV noting the google result, the blog and you total lack of association to said blog may be a lower stress option.  Fighting it sounds nice, but it may be like trying to bash smoke
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

It could be worse..
If you google my name, you get a dutch pedophile site. With my name as their domain name :(

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 12:31:23 pm »

It could be worse..
If you google my name, you get a dutch pedophile site. With my name as their domain name :(

Like Vector said, your usage dictates what comes up for you on Google.

Then again, your username is 'Dutchling'. Hmmmm
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 12:36:50 pm »

Yeah, I get that, but from my understanding there is no violation here unless ive read the OP completely wrong, my understanding is that the blogger hasnt ripped his work off,  (generally if something is used on a blog/whatever and it is not intended for profit and/or it came from a newspaper article, as long as the quote is marked as such and credit is given to the original author then you wont have a leg to stand on copywrite wise).

If your work has been ripped and you didnt get cred you might have a chance, but bloggers are pretty much impossible to pin down, maybe you could get the blog removed, expect it to pop back up within a very short amount of time.  Depending on the field you are looking to get into, dropping a small disclaimer on the bottom of your CV noting the google result, the blog and you total lack of association to said blog may be a lower stress option.  Fighting it sounds nice, but it may be like trying to bash smoke

This is another option.  I'm sure you potential employer would understand and be at least somewhat sympathetic.   Only problem is if they agree with the views on the blog.

As far as copyright goes,  that's not really how it works.  It isn't legal to upload the latest hit movie as long as you include the credits.  There is the concept of "fair use" where you can use a PORTION of a work in your work, but copy pasting an entire article isn't kosher unless you have permission from the rightsholder.  Try making a blog consisting of nothing but articles from The New York Times and see how long it lasts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

It could be worse..

Like Vector said, your usage dictates what comes up for you on Google.

Then again, your username is 'Dutchling'. Hmmmm
I mean my RL name...

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »

Scrap your name and get a new one; you've obviously made a mess of that one.j/k

Assuming your publication wasn't actually extremist, I would just set up a public facebook account with your real name and college, and mention that you've had articles published, and then jokingly add that it can be a bad thing for example getting associated with a website that doesn't hold your views.  In fact, how about write a whole new article about it...
Pages: [1] 2