Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with a kind of urgent question  (Read 2493 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a kind of urgent question
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 04:25:24 am »

Why don't you start your own blog?  No need to provide a ton of content, just something with your name and publicly available information plastered all over it.  Besides, you've already written articles, right?  For bonus points link the articles you've written (and don't mind having read) and try to get your paper to link you back.

If you're unable to get him to take it down or find a way to displace it, you can always lampshade it.  Incorporate this as an anecdote or part of a funny story with the person who's interviewing you so they aren't surprised if/when they run a search.  Try working it in when you talk about your qualifications and your writing work.  "You know, the rise of micro-publishing is really astonishing.  There's so much content available now, and anyone can self-publish.  The only problem is that you get the inevitable wing nuts.  One extremest guy even linked an article I wrote for the school paper, and now my name gets associated with his site.  It's really embarrassing when someone googles me and sees his website at the top of the page."
At last, she is done.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:32:23 am »

So I emailed the campus paper about it and went on a 5 day hike. I came back and they'd said it was a clear copyright violation and had already requested Google to take it down. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the search results to renew or whatever so in a few weeks it should be gone. Yay!
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:29 am »

Great!

Nice to hear a story where copyright saves the day, for once.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:27 pm »

As far as copyright goes,  that's not really how it works.  It isn't legal to upload the latest hit movie as long as you include the credits.  There is the concept of "fair use" where you can use a PORTION of a work in your work, but copy pasting an entire article isn't kosher unless you have permission from the rightsholder.

Actually, that's just a perversion of what BigCorp wants you to believe about fair use. There's nothing in fair use doctrine that says you can only use a PORTION and not the WHOLE. It has several criteria to determine if your use is fair or not. It depends if it's used for parody, or as a criticism, or simply because you're talking ABOUT the article in question, as opposed to just hoarding and putting it online for people to download. Or if the use is transformative.

"Fair use, a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work, is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, non-licensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test. The term fair use originated in the United States. A similar principle, fair dealing, exists in some other common law jurisdictions. Civil law jurisdictions have other limitations and exceptions to copyright."

Sure, if it's smaller, the bigger the chance the use is fair. Copypasting an entire BOOK because you disagree with paragraph 2 page 153 would probably not be fair use. Also unlikely that you feel the need to criticize the ENTIRE book verbatim, sentence by sentence. But people just assume it's a percentage of what you use what matters, so even if it's a quote, they go "you can't use the ENTIRE quote paragraph, at most 2 or 3 words!". That's just wrong.

So yeah, beware the Streisand effect, you might end up in Slashdot or one of those major Fair Use defense blogs as "Person pissed that someone copied a paper of his, sues for copyright, threatens to take down domain, HERE'S THE LINK"... then forget about having it removed from Google. Also just because a paper says "it's a clear copyright violation" doesn't necessarily make it true. They don't believe in fair use, period (unless they're the ones doing it). Just ask Righthaven or the Las Vegas Review Journal or the Associate Press.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 10:06:47 am »

I doubt if I have to worry about the guy intentionally reposting it. Also, this isn't some huge corporate-owned news organization talking, it's someone from the staff of a small campus newspaper, possibly a journalism professor (not sure, I didn't recognize the name)

Interesting stuff about fair use also.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 03:40:54 pm »

I doubt if I have to worry about the guy intentionally reposting it. Also, this isn't some huge corporate-owned news organization talking, it's someone from the staff of a small campus newspaper, possibly a journalism professor (not sure, I didn't recognize the name)

Interesting stuff about fair use also.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying your small campus newspaper is BigCorp. I was more talking about the big 'uns spreading the FUD all around.
Pages: 1 [2]