Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Horror of Birdsplosion  (Read 12603 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Horror of Birdsplosion
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:19:35 pm »

Embarking with 5 turkey hens and a turkey gobbler; only 36 points and producing a lot of food. Great idea, right?

I locked the birds up in a 5x5 room with 5 nest boxes. I'd planned to wait until they hatched some eggs and then harvest the poults and spare eggs.

Next spring: 3 unit pages of poults. The 5x5 room is completely full, often 3 or 4 turkeys to a tile. This all happened in under a year, starting with five turkeys. The poults are savagely mauling each other. One poult has already died, and the walls are covered in turkey blood. I'm honestly afraid to open the door. I worry for the safety of my fort and my FPS.

Catsplosions are nothing. Fear the fowl.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror of Birdsplosion
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:25:51 pm »

Welcome to turkeys, fast gaining notority for how many eggs each one can lay. Oh and they take 2 years not 1 to grow up.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 02:27:43 pm »

BIRDFALL! Put a turkey hen in a single tile room with a locked door. Instead of walls, have the area channeled out and over a meeting area below it. New turkeys are born, everything enrages, and they dodge into the meeting area below. For greater effect, use several such rooms, each with a chained turkey hen.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 02:37:47 pm »

If you can make the downward fall big enough to have them explode into turkey bones on impact, place butcher/bonecarver workshops directly beneath the platform. With just the right amount of turkeys, one could theoretically have a constant rain of poults that matches the workshop's production speed.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »

BIRDFALL! Put a turkey hen in a single tile room with a locked door. Instead of walls, have the area channeled out and over a meeting area below it. New turkeys are born, everything enrages, and they dodge into the meeting area below. For greater effect, use several such rooms, each with a chained turkey hen.

I'm not sure whether it's more embarrassing that I actually tried this or that I failed and most of my hall's roof collapsed. I'll find somewhere to implement a birdfall.

Death count: 7 poults. 5 bleed-outs, 2 suffocations.

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »

If you can make the downward fall big enough to have them explode into turkey bones on impact, place butcher/bonecarver workshops directly beneath the platform. With just the right amount of turkeys, one could theoretically have a constant rain of poults that matches the workshop's production speed.
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel always is recycled into business plan.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 03:13:56 pm »

You could have several layers falling into to the same shaft with the following design ( I think dodging happens with the same total frequency regardless of the number of available spaces to dodge to):

Each floor:

. = empty space above a long fall
# = wall
d = locked door
n = nest box with poultry

#####
  d n .#
#####
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »

Birdfall sounds like some kind of Biblical plague.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:25:23 pm »

This will happen. Only one question:
Does the male turkey need to have access to the hens and eggs for them to hatch, or does he just need to be on the map? I plan to make a 1-square pasture space on the nest box, assuming that will work, as well as tightly closing and forbidding the doors.
Fun will be had, One way or another.

Death count: 15 poults. 7 bleed-outs, 8 suffocations.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:26:23 pm »

Birdfall sounds like some kind of Biblical plague.

Or something from Bob the Angry Flower
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »

This will happen. Only one question:
Does the male turkey need to have access to the hens and eggs for them to hatch, or does he just need to be on the map? I plan to make a 1-square pasture space on the nest box, assuming that will work, as well as tightly closing and forbidding the doors.
Fun will be had, One way or another.

Death count: 15 poults. 7 bleed-outs, 8 suffocations.
No need for the males being anywhere near. All creatures in DF reproduce by long distance spores (or magic).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 04:04:24 pm »

Poults are so small they will only drop skulls on death, so be sure to put craftsdwarf's workshops close to your birdfall.

On the other hand, this is excellent for training bone carvers and having loads of free junk (namely, poult totems) to sell to the caravan.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 04:35:19 pm »

Or you could divert the poults to a number of other pastures.

Also, I suggest peafowl instead of turkeys, I hear they grow up faster.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 04:42:29 pm »

Poults are so small they will only drop skulls on death, so be sure to put craftsdwarf's workshops close to your birdfall.

On the other hand, this is excellent for training bone carvers and having loads of free junk (namely, poult totems) to sell to the caravan.
Wish you could make gear from skulls specifically. Elf skull helms, pauldrons, and all that stuff.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

Wish you could make gear from skulls specifically. Elf skull helms, pauldrons, and all that stuff.

Oh, fuck yeah.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: [1] 2 3 4