Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lignite/Bituminous coal rarity?  (Read 11157 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Re: Lignite/Bituminous coal rarity?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2011, 06:26:36 pm »

I've made 20 sets of complete steel armor and wapons using only charcoal.
Same here.  I've never had a problem using charcoal to make pig iron/steel.  Of course, as Hoan mentioned, I use a Bar/Block storage area near the smelter that only accepts metal and coal/coke/charcoal bars (I don't remember off hand which it lists as, but its in the same section as Potash and Soap for bar type).

I did the same. The charcoal was only a few spaces from the smelter.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:30 pm »

People are talking about how often they find coal but not talking about what worldgen paramaters they are using.

I don't think I've gotten any coal since the metal rarity stuff was changed (.21? i forget) but then again I tend to do crap in worldgen to get lots of volcanoes which means messing with volcanism which is probably messing things up.

For people who are getting lots of coal, what sort of worlds are you genning?

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2011, 07:28:12 pm »

People are talking about how often they find coal but not talking about what worldgen paramaters they are using.

I don't think I've gotten any coal since the metal rarity stuff was changed (.21? i forget) but then again I tend to do crap in worldgen to get lots of volcanoes which means messing with volcanism which is probably messing things up.

For people who are getting lots of coal, what sort of worlds are you genning?

I generated 2 worlds, mostly defaults dropped savagery by 1 notch.. then I got fed up with getting basically nothing but copper..
so I generated an older world, 550 years instead of 250 with the top level for minerals. I've got way more variety now, and actually got some iron (though not an excessive amount), but I still haven't found any lignite or bituminous coal. dfprospector isn't showing either, but I'm not sure if those show up on it or not.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »

The default for MINERAL_SCARCITY is 2500 (I don't know what that maps to in the quick-create screen, someone needs to do science and write down the worldgen params for the various settings).  At 500, you'll be a lot more likely (about 2x to 2.5x) to see metals of any type.  But there's still a chance that your embark will have nothing but copper or nickel or silver.  Or gold.

Rumor has it that you're more likely to find sedimentary layers in areas with aquifers.

Deep soil also has a good chance of giving you hematite mixed in with the soil layers. 

I generally embark, then run DFProspector with the "-b" switch and decide whether it's worth staying.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »

I was hoping someone would do some science and figure out whether drainage has some sort of impact on sedimentary layers, and how it works, but I don't think anyone has yet. (I haven't done it because after writing most of the advanced world gen docs I just got really sick of thinking about world gen stuff....)

I'm guessing that maybe low (?) drainage contributes to aquifers, but I just can't find any info on drainage other than what sorts of biomes require what level of drainage.....

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 01:31:24 pm »

originally, I had no trouble finding lignite and bituminous coal.
not so anymore. My past two forts have yielded a total of zero of either, despite all my attempts otherwise. My only source of either so far has been merchants.
This space for rent

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »

I was hoping someone would do some science and figure out whether drainage has some sort of impact on sedimentary layers, and how it works, but I don't think anyone has yet. (I haven't done it because after writing most of the advanced world gen docs I just got really sick of thinking about world gen stuff....)

I'm guessing that maybe low (?) drainage contributes to aquifers, but I just can't find any info on drainage other than what sorts of biomes require what level of drainage.....
If you remember 31.18 nearly every site with one of the sedimentary flux stones had an aquifer layer.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »

I managed to gen a world that has a mountain range with all 3 iron ores and plenty of lignite/coal. I've made (and lost) 3 fortress there already, and I'm not planning on moving to a new world anytime soon.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »

Geologically speaking, reservoir (aquifer) rocks are almost always sedimentary. With the exception of pumice, ingenious and metamorphic rocks have neither the porosity (empty space within the rock for water to hide) nor the permeability (the rock's ability to let water soak in and move around). The other factors governing where aquifers show up are surface topography and elevation, the existence of structural traps to keep aquifer water localized, rainfall and drainage.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 2 [3]