Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Horror of Birdsplosion  (Read 12592 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror of Birdsplosion
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 03:38:24 pm »

It's been determined that falling objects and creatures do not harm creatures they fall upon, not does it harm the falling creatures; the bottom creatures "catches" the falling animal.

While I can't find the thread, this concept has already been considered for use in military deployment.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »

However, if enemies do walk directly under the drop zone, the landed poult would act as a decoy and possibly lead the invaders into more traps.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 04:12:38 pm »

I made the drop-tower about 12z high at the first drop point. Only two hens were left when I built it, and one quickly dodged away from her poults, falling off. I'll need to get some more hens from the next caravan, if I can get any more caravans.

From the poults that already fell, I've gotten mutilated corpses, a variety of limbs, and beaks. Lots of beaks. The products can't be used for anything, nor are any poult corpses so far butcherable, but the tower's pretty cool.

I caged up all of the poults left over. I'm debating between letting them mature, selling them, or throwing them into the river. Any solution promises Fun.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »

I made the drop-tower about 12z high at the first drop point. Only two hens were left when I built it, and one quickly dodged away from her poults, falling off. I'll need to get some more hens from the next caravan, if I can get any more caravans.

From the poults that already fell, I've gotten mutilated corpses, a variety of limbs, and beaks. Lots of beaks. The products can't be used for anything, nor are any poult corpses so far butcherable, but the tower's pretty cool.

I caged up all of the poults left over. I'm debating between letting them mature, selling them, or throwing them into the river. Any solution promises Fun.
Have a vault full of skulls.

Seal it with multiple z-levels of floodgates, and claim your throne as Urist, Slayer of Fowl Beasts!

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 06:24:43 pm »

Got a nubbish question for you guys... If I cage my birdsplosion, will the polts mature inside the cage? I dislike the amount of animals, but if I could get more than skull totems out of a cage deal, it would be pretty good... If not, back to making a pit of death for the turkeys :P
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »

Yes, they will age inside a cage. They just won't breed. So, if you want to use a turkey or peafowl or goose for breeding stock, you'll have to let them out. I suggest you only let "gigantic and fat" birds breed, as size seems to be inherited, and bigger birds produce (potentially) more stuff when harvested.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »

Awesome, thanks. I was worried I was going to sit on a pile of useless feathers for a couple of years only to find that they don't grow in cages, then slaughter the lot for their skulls. Pity skulls can't be made into stuff other than totems atm though. No skull thrones yet, outside of a stupendously lucky moody dorf or somesuch.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2011, 06:44:41 pm »

Awesome, thanks. I was worried I was going to sit on a pile of useless feathers for a couple of years only to find that they don't grow in cages, then slaughter the lot for their skulls. Pity skulls can't be made into stuff other than totems atm though. No skull thrones yet, outside of a stupendously lucky moody dorf or somesuch.
Drop skulls on invaders! bwahahah.

CRITICAL HIT!
0.0000000000000000001 damage!

>:3

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2011, 07:25:52 pm »

The spinning !!turkey polt skull!! hits the marksgoblin in the upper body, crushing the third floating rib and tearing the heart!
Ah well, if only. How high does the tower have to be for turkeys to explode into gibs on impact?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »

The spinning !!turkey polt skull!! hits the marksgoblin in the upper body, crushing the third floating rib and tearing the heart!
Ah well, if only. How high does the tower have to be for turkeys to explode into gibs on impact?
Not sure.

But exploding turkeys don't do damage. Falling objects (NOT CREATURES), do. The heavier, the better; so time to use your microcline!

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »

Eh, I just wanted the novelty of some exploding turkeys, but you make an excellent point. Pity I don't have any of the bugged "wooden" logs that appeared in the last version of the genesis mod. Those things weighed enough that it took a hauler most of a season to move them from depot to stockpile, and had something like an 8 digit weight value... but that's off topic. I find that if one leaves the turkey polts long enough in an enclosed space, they kill each other, driving the population back down to manageable, non-fps killing levels. Besides, at least they don't adopt dwarves like cats do... I had a guy who liked cats and he had something like 20 of the fuzzy bastards following him around. I think he must have been adopted by 4 full litters plus the parents... bad times.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 07:58:28 pm »

Would this work to keep the hen from dying?

. = empty space above a long fall
# = wall
d = locked door
n = nest box
c = chain the hen is attached to

######
  d c n .#
######
Soaplent green is goblins!

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:46 am »

Would this work to keep the hen from dying?

. = empty space above a long fall
# = wall
d = locked door
n = nest box
c = chain the hen is attached to

######
  d c n .#
######
Not sure about that tbh... Won't the chicks spawn on top of the mother, start berserking over the lack of space since they're all crammed onto one tile, and beat the shit out of each other/the mother?

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 07:49:16 pm »

Allright what about this the ultimate Butcher fowl battery ever

z-level = 0

######
#.CND#
######

z-level = -1

######
xxxxxD
######

Going to the hallway which leads towards the butcher shops, leatherworkers craftdwarf workshops etc.

Will this work?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

Allright what about this the ultimate Butcher fowl battery ever

z-level = 0

######
#.CND#
######

z-level = -1

######
xxxxxD
######

Going to the hallway which leads towards the butcher shops, leatherworkers craftdwarf workshops etc.

Will this work?

Of course it won't work. There's not nearly enough blood and gore involved. Drop can be NO LESS than 10 z-levels, and preferably 30 or more.

But, actually, a 1-level drop usually won't do more than stun. Unless you had planned to do the killing at the butcher's shop. That isn't as dwarfy though.

Also, use code. The symbols line up.
Code: [Select]
z-level = 0

######
#.CND#
######

z-level = -1

######
xxxxxD
######

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4