Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Horror of Birdsplosion  (Read 12588 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror of Birdsplosion
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 04:50:17 pm »

One day, I'd love to write that I bought an entire shipment of goods from the elven caravan...with ten bins of elf skull goblets :3
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 04:56:11 pm »

Four more poult-hatching sessions. This more than makes up for the twenty-some deaths. Birdfall construction has been deemed necessary by the overseer.

Countless newly-hatched turkey offspring plummet hundreds of feet down a shaft to explode into gore and still-undeveloped bones below. Dwarves stand ready in the darkness to collect the tiny skulls, carving each into a grim totem of sorts. From this bloody chamber the macabre crafts are hauled up by the bin, soon to be sold to eager traders.
Sounds like a reasonable way to deal with overpopulation.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 06:10:36 pm »

I just stuff all the poults into a single cage until they're older and have more meat on them.

If you build several cages, you can designate one for each season so you'll know when to harvest the lot two years down the line.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

If you can make the downward fall big enough to have them explode into turkey bones on impact, place butcher/bonecarver workshops directly beneath the platform. With just the right amount of turkeys, one could theoretically have a constant rain of poults that matches the workshop's production speed.

Tame animal corpses cannot be butchered - this would only work with wild turkeys, and wild animals don't claim nest boxes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »

Bonus points if you use the birdfall idea, and have the impact zone in the middle of your dining area so you can harden your dwarves to death.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 08:55:35 pm »

If you build several cages, you can designate one for each season so you'll know when to harvest the lot two years down the line.
That's...
That's actually a brilliant and obvious solution for me.
In all seriousness, I always forget which poults are how old. That's a good plan!
I'm pretty dumb like that.  :-X
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:41 pm »

If you can make the downward fall big enough to have them explode into turkey bones on impact, place butcher/bonecarver workshops directly beneath the platform. With just the right amount of turkeys, one could theoretically have a constant rain of poults that matches the workshop's production speed.

Tame animal corpses cannot be butchered - this would only work with wild turkeys, and wild animals don't claim nest boxes.

Since when did wanton bloodshed need to make sense?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:55 pm »

That's...
That's actually a brilliant and obvious solution for me.
In all seriousness, I always forget which poults are how old. That's a good plan!
I'm pretty dumb like that.  :-X

Just remember to make a (N)ote of which cage is which.

And apparently, blue peahens are better than turkeys so I'm switching my bird farms over to those.  They're only slightly smaller, but they grow to full adult size in one year instead of two years.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 03:16:14 am »

Wish you could make gear from skulls specifically. Elf skull helms, pauldrons, and all that stuff.

What, no codpieces?

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 04:58:27 am »

And apparently, blue peahens are better than turkeys so I'm switching my bird farms over to those.  They're only slightly smaller, but they grow to full adult size in one year instead of two years.
Ducks, on the other hand, are almost completely useless, all they butcher into is a skull. >:(
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 09:30:26 am »

Since when did wanton bloodshed need to make sense?
He was referring to the attempt to make crafts out of the wanton bloodshed afterwards. You can have your rain of birds but you can't do anything useful with it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:32 am »

When corpses explode from falling, you can butcher the the pieces even if you could not butcher a whole body. That is how my dwarfs (without modding them) can have *Goblin tallow roasts*.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 11:20:28 am »

*raises an eyebrow* re-he-heally...suddenly my 12z lvl dodge me trap has become way, way more fun...i'll be able to get x bones and x tallow then eh...guess i'll dig out space to make a butcher and a kitchen down at the bottom level...

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:18 pm »

If they fall deep enough and land on a person, will they damage them?

If so, build several 50z level over your entrance and use them to rain down feathery bombs onto goblins.

Turkey poult #428 collides with an obstacle.
The goblin swordsmans head takes the full force of the impact, jamming the skull trough the brain.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 01:42:00 pm »

If they fall deep enough and land on a person, will they damage them?

If so, build several 50z level over your entrance and use them to rain down feathery bombs onto goblins.

Turkey poult #428 collides with an obstacle.
The goblin swordsmans head takes the full force of the impact, jamming the skull trough the brain.
If the bits can't be used to make crafts, I think I'll do this. Even if it isn't damaging... there's gonna be a giant turkey drop-tower somewhere around my fortress. It will happen. The dropzone can be sort of like a welcome mat, with more blood, bones, and concussion possibilities.
And, if what EveryZig said is true, the parts can be used for additional profit.

Or just, you know...
I just stuff all the poults into a single cage until they're older and have more meat on them.

But where's the fun in that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4