Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: dragon fell in the magma  (Read 5430 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dragon fell in the magma
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

I was dreading my first Uber creature arrival message, because I have never had to deal with one before.  So, when I received a notice that a dragon showed up as an uninvited guest, I was a wee bit miffed.  I ordered all my dwarves inside, expecting them to ignore it.  I reactivated my military (that I had JUST stood down to get some R&R), and positioned them where they would group up and get killed by the first blast of fire, and waited.  Thinking I should check to make sure the Dragon is coming my way, I zoomed to it, and discovered it inside the magma vent.  Oh crap, it's going to come up the magma channel, I ...wait...I see smoke.  I see..burning dragon.  I see...dead dragon.  

That's right, the fire breathing beast with a thousand names fell in the magma and killed itself.  My dwarves didn't even have a chance to wet their pants before they were turned into crispy critters.  I don't know if this is a bug, that a fire breathing creature can burn to death in magma.  I do know that if it's NOT a bug, the dragon's pathfinding AI is, uh, broken.

EDIT:  This is in 33f, vanilla (I use a different font and a different graphics set, but I don't consider those mods).

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: hapes ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: dragon fell in the magma
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Breathing fire =/= Wading through magma.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:37:00 pm »

Best thing ever: Magma moats.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

you are under attack from !!Dragons!!
The !!Dragons!! Die!
LEVEL UP!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 12:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG> you are under attack from !!Dragons!!
The !!Dragons!! Die!
LEVEL UP!
</STRONG>

Get the 'Action Boy' perk.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

SIEGE!
*goblins fall in magma moat*
The !!goblin!! runs around screaming!
Siege over.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Dragons have a few glands in their throat that allow them to spit a chemical that oxidates as soon as it contacts air. They don't have super isolating skin that protects them for exended periods of high temperature. Infact, if they did have it, they would be forced into permanent hibernation and thus extiction because they are reptiles without any way to activate their metabolism, which is dependant on the outside temperature.

Look i have a handgun and therefor i am impervious to howitzer shells. Wait, nevermind.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

the point is the dragon managed to fall in the lava, even if its not magma proof it should know not to wade in there.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Do you know if the dragon jumped down into the vent as part of pathfinding or was there a fight nearby?  Was the dragon burning while alive or was it the body that was burning?  If it fell into the vent and suffocated, I'm not sure what happens with the body.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »

The dragon fell in the vent.  There was no fight, I had ordered all my dwarves inside, and they had actually followed the rules.  It looked like he was heading for my magma channel entrance (I say that because he was in the first square of the channel, actually).  I am pretty sure the dragon was burning while alive, it did burn up after it died though.  There was lots of smoke generated.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

To Asehujiko:

Point 1:  Dragons have a few glands in their throat, etc...

And your scientific proof to back this up is...?

Point 2:  There's a bug here.  Whether it's 'dragons should be fireproof' or 'dragons should pathfind AROUND magma/lava' is up to Toady to decide.  I just report 'em.

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

Hahaha.

"Oh shit, I'm being blocked from my Dwarf Kabobs by a rock door. But I heard a rumor that they don't lock off their magma channel, I'll just go through there."

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

quote:

Every time you bring up science in a fantasy game discussion, God kills a catgirl. Won't you please think of the catgirls?

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

when asking for "science" in this game, please remember to replace "science" with "words that came from Toady's keyboard".

I'm tired of the science vs. realism thing. I think dragons should be at least partly fireproof. And there is no evidence that dragonfire is chemical in nature. We're going to get at least a moderately magical world (unicorns, dragons, wizards, etc.) I don't see any reason why dragons shouldn't be semi-magical at least.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hapes:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>

Mythology and research/speculation from Cryptologists.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5