Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Measurement Thread  (Read 15017 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Measurement Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »

There's something neat and tidy about metric. I mean, the fact that 1 centimeter cubed of water is 1 milliliter is 1 gram? That's just awesome.

Favorite unit though? Angstroms are pretty neat, largely because of the funny little circle on the A for its symbol.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »

Aangstroem would be more correct.
Ångström.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

As a person under the Imperial unit of measurement system I'll agree that Metric is probably better and I would love to have a base 10 system of measurement. Make everything simple and whatnot.

However, you must also agree that to change our system of measurement would be absurdly costly and to accuse us of being inferior for keeping with such a system is childish.

Not nearly as costly as total global conversion to duodecimal metric, but when I'm King of the World...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 03:19:03 am »

Despite being American, I find the Metric system just seems to be more useful and relevant.

My favorite unit is the Hellameter (10^27 meters).
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:44 am »

Favorite non-real measurements: The Urist & the Arbitrary Unit (don't ask how I use this one.)
Favorite real measurement: Probably watts, just for the lame jokes that I get to say in the middle of physics lecture. They're even funnier because the professor is a huge stickler for units. "I'm sorry, but that's 64 whats?" "Yes."
I once had a teacher that, if someone forgot the units, started to talk about cubic crowbars.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:54 am »

Of course everybody agrees that Base 10 is the best. Of course, in what base has that 10 been written...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 05:08:51 am »

So, what is your favorite unit of measurement

Picokelvin.

and your favorite thing to measure?

COMMENT REMOVED - VIOLATION OF FORUM POLICY

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 05:37:42 am »

and your favorite thing to measure?

Somehow missed this one. :b
I like to measure weaponry.
Heft, length, et cetera.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 06:19:36 am »

Hmm, I like the Tesla.

Mostly because Tesla rocks, but also because one unit of Tesla is huge, it's like the Metric Fuckton in real units. MRI machines that produce enormous magnetic fields are only 9ish T, and the absolute manmade record in 2009 was a whopping 45T.

And it's cool to say "Tesla".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:28:31 am »

As a person under the Imperial unit of measurement system I'll agree that Metric is probably better and I would love to have a base 10 system of measurement. Make everything simple and whatnot.

However, you must also agree that to change our system of measurement would be absurdly costly and to accuse us of being inferior for keeping with such a system is childish.
Don't have to change it all abruptly, do you? Have both systems for a while, start teaching Metric in school and sooner or later you'll be bi-systemal. Then you can stop using Imperial all together.

There's something neat and tidy about metric. I mean, the fact that 1 centimeter cubed of water is 1 milliliter is 1 gram? That's just awesome.

Favorite unit though? Angstroms are pretty neat, largely because of the funny little circle on the A for its symbol.
It's not funny! :(

On a serious note, though: My favourite unit would be either Celsius, Joule, or Curie, all because I like how they sound. And also Kelvin because of how ridiculously great and impractical it is at the same time. And Rankine because of it's creators absurdly awesome beard.

I don't see any fun in measuring stuff though.
And while I have a lot of bad jokes about measuring "stuff" bubbling inside me at the moment, I think I'll abstain from posting any of them as I do not want to push this thread further into what I believe Vector has called "boy's locker room humour" territory.
Love, scriver~

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:47 am »

My adventure earlier today.
I guess I exaggerated the total distance and understated the distance walked.
I said three miles by foot as a hyperbole, and it was 3.5. :b

Also, nearest game store (Gamestop) is about 25 miles away.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 06:37:37 am »

Eh, the school systems already teach dual measurement systems pretty much completely, especially any sort of science class. It doesn't change the fact that redoing every sign in the country is kinda pointless and wasteful.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:01 am »

Don't have to change it all abruptly, do you? Have both systems for a while, start teaching Metric in school and sooner or later you'll be bi-systemal. Then you can stop using Imperial all together.
Yeah, that's what we do. Granted we could do a better job ob being equal about it but I'm not gonna deal with the public educational system problems in this thread.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:33 am »

Eh, the school systems already teach dual measurement systems pretty much completely, especially any sort of science class. It doesn't change the fact that redoing every sign in the country is kinda pointless and wasteful.
You mean like in the UK where all the signs are in kilometres? Oh wait.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:58 am »

My favourite unit is the Deni (Equal to one Kgms-1, named for a friend of mine when we realised Momentum didn't have a fancy unit name.)

My favourite thing to measure? Well, I'm going to plunge past all those folk saying they don't want to be immature and come right out with it.

Girth.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8