Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why doesn't the Dwarf race thrive?  (Read 7320 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't the Dwarf race thrive?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 03:59:19 pm »

This effect seems exponentially worse the more I crank up savagery and beasts too.

Considering that dwarves dislike savage territory and that megabeasts fuck over anyone, that should be expected.

I've never had a problem with any vanilla species getting knocked off during world gen or being at a significant disadvantage, Just generate large worlds. Then there's plenty of room for everyone.

From my experience, mostly a few versions old,  savagery matters. Humans seem quite robust, but dwarves can run into problems in savage worlds. Maybe because they're crowded out by the more prolific humans who compete for the desirable spots?
Benign worlds on the other hand were often devoid of goblins or elves - maybe they can't keep up with dwarves and humans if they don't have many wildlife reserves?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

This effect seems exponentially worse the more I crank up savagery and beasts too.

Considering that dwarves dislike savage territory and that megabeasts fuck over anyone, that should be expected.

I've never had a problem with any vanilla species getting knocked off during world gen or being at a significant disadvantage, Just generate large worlds. Then there's plenty of room for everyone.

From my experience, mostly a few versions old,  savagery matters. Humans seem quite robust, but dwarves can run into problems in savage worlds. Maybe because they're crowded out by the more prolific humans who compete for the desirable spots?
Benign worlds on the other hand were often devoid of goblins or elves - maybe they can't keep up with dwarves and humans if they don't have many wildlife reserves?
The gobs and elves don't get their five ton flying jaguars.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »

Dude, how many dwarves really manage to live to old age in your fortress?  In ANY Fortress?

Sure their military may eventually be able to turn away sieges, but you get ONE noble who loves slade...
"Urist has set a mandate!"
"Urist mandated slade beds!"

:3

Urist has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Urist McConsort is throwing a tantrum!

Urist McFriend is throwing a tantrum!

A dog has been struck down!
The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the population, jamming the anger through the farms!
The fortress is having trouble making enough food!
The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the morale, jamming the dwarves through the lengendary dining room!
The tantrum spiral strikes the fortress in the magmapipe, jamming the magma through the living area!

The fortress has been struck down.
And now you have your answer.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:04:24 pm »

The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the population, jamming the anger through the farms!
The fortress is having trouble making enough food!
The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the morale, jamming the dwarves through the lengendary dining room!
The tantrum spiral strikes the fortress in the magmapipe, jamming the magma through the living area!

The fortress has been struck down.

So sigged.

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »

Because the best way to laugh at your enemies is behind 50 feet of stone.
Dwarves (at least not in gameplay) never take the fight to the enemy, so they can only kill as many enemies as are sent after them. I think it's that simple.

Also tantrum spirals. ;)

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »

Because 2/3th of all dwarves want to be lye makers, cheese makers, shearers and millers.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 10:03:06 pm »

The most likely to die out are the elves (awesome) After that Dwarves (not awesome) Humans are usually constant.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 11:35:08 pm »

The reason the dwarves don't thrive is because of people like us.  ::)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »

The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:52 am »

The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.
...... *Stares at Urist Imiknorris's Avatar*
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 03:24:53 am »

...... *Stares at Urist Imiknorris's Avatar*

Also, They make good fodder FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

Lost socks are the reason the dwarf race cannot thrive.  All a goblin or troll raiding party needs to do to kill dwarves one at a time is drop a sock and ambush the poor dwarf that comes out to pick it up.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 03:47:42 am »

Dude, how many dwarves really manage to live to old age in your fortress?  In ANY Fortress?

Sure their military may eventually be able to turn away sieges, but you get ONE noble who loves slade...
"Urist has set a mandate!"
"Urist mandated slade beds!"

:3

He'll have his slade bed... IN DEATH
*magma chute lever*
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 04:04:36 am »

Because 2/3th of all dwarves want to be lye makers, cheese makers, shearers and millers.
I just put Dorfs like that on general farming/hauling duties.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 [2]