Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about the new undead in next update  (Read 2360 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about the new undead in next update
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:54 am »

sorry if someone answered this before elsewhere but for the necromancers and mummies, will they be available in fortress mode?

For example would i be able to have necromancer dwarves, or have buried noble dwarfs or something rise as mummies if their tombs get disturbed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: question about the new undead in next update
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:07:34 pm »

I don't know if you could have them as part of your fortress, but they will definately siege you.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »

I don't think mummies will siege you. Necromancers will.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »

Yeah, how am I supposed to deal with all those goblin corpses?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »

Yeah, how am I supposed to deal with all those goblin corpses?

How do you think?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:38:12 am »

We don't have details on them being present, besides that necromancers will siege you. Normally this would mean Toady hasn't done anything there, but he did say some things that seemed to imply vampires in your fortress, so it's possible that mummies are there too and he just didn't share info to keep from spoiling it.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 12:12:48 pm »

I'll just be glad for the undead to get their power back.  They used to be a force to be reckoned with (perhaps too strong in fact) but now it takes almost nothing to kill anything that is 'undead'.  Heck I was attacked by an undead giant (embarked on his home) a short while ago and he was killed by a random untrained dwarf without any serious injury in seconds.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not looking to go back to when you had to smack around an undead yeti for a few seasons just to bring it down, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.. While we're on the subject I'd also like to see the megabeasts that die in one pop (usually the ones made of liquid) to get powered up.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 12:56:16 pm »

I'll just be glad for the undead to get their power back.  They used to be a force to be reckoned with (perhaps too strong in fact) but now it takes almost nothing to kill anything that is 'undead'.  Heck I was attacked by an undead giant (embarked on his home) a short while ago and he was killed by a random untrained dwarf without any serious injury in seconds.

Dont' get me wrong, I'm not looking to go back to when you had to smack around an undead yeti for a few seasons just to bring it down, but somewhere in the middle would be nice.. While we're on the subject I'd also like to see the megabeasts that die in one pop (usually the ones made of liquid) to get powered up.

YES! 
I just got my first Titan at a new fort, a giant undead cyclops.  As soon as he appeared, I thought,
"Ok, it's GO time!  Let's see what all that training can do."
and spent the next few minutes paused setting out the orders and locking doors to get my fresh militia ready for their first big fight.  As soon as I unpause it pauses again, informing me a human caravan+diplomat arrived.  I grit my teeth, thinking,
"Now the stakes are even higher, I can't afford to let the humans get attacked.  I really need that leather..." 
I change a few more orders, then unpause.  Immediately a combat report shows up. 
"Odd, they shouldn't have been able to engage yet..." 
After a few moments of confused report reading and searching in vain at the edge of the map where all I see is a broken arrow, I realise what happened.  A caravan guard bowman one-shotted the Giant Undead Cyclops.  By hitting it in the arm...