Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Millenium Fortress  (Read 20603 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Millenium Fortress
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »

POPULATION_CAP only controls immigration.

BABY_CHILD_CAP controls births, but only in the sense that it limits how many babies and children there can be at any one time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

Besides simply running for a thousand years, are there any other things I might as well check out? I'm going to try to get as many generations in there as possible- I might even tweak dwarves to have shorter generations- but what else? Maybe trap an immortal elf and lock him away somewhere with food supplies?

One thing I want to see is the effect of long time periods on forested areas- will they grow over into solid tree?

Any other tests I could do with that much time? I wouldn't mind seeing if ghosts actually do die of old age, if that didn't mean that I'd need to have a ghost scaring people to death for 160 years or whatever.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

Observe dwarven genetics.  Try and pair up particular hair or eye colors for marriage, and see if their offsprings keep it up, or see if they maintain "He is very large" and other traits.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 01:44:32 pm »

NECRO'D

Dwarfy, have to admit. Also nice that someone is actually willing to try out the dragon-breeding trick I plotted a long time ago  :P

So, how about those screenshots?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 02:21:39 pm »

It's been four days. It's not even sick yet...

Anyway, finishing finals. No updates until later this week.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:30 am »

your actual citizens who die of old age won't need coffins or slabs.
how likely is it to have a dwarf die of old age? :PP
In a fortress designed to run for a thousand years, quite likely.
depends on if you isolate the place or start killing gobbos like ants

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:44 pm »

your actual citizens who die of old age won't need coffins or slabs.
how likely is it to have a dwarf die of old age? :PP
In a fortress designed to run for a thousand years, quite likely.
depends on if you isolate the place or start killing gobbos like ants

He OBVIOUSLY isolated the place. It's supposed to be self-sustaining for a thousand years, and even more.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:51 pm »

That said, 1000 years of goblinite might be fun...

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »

That said, 1000 years of goblinite might be fun...

You'll have to make an automatic goblin killer then.

And for it to work flawlessly for 1000 years, without need for maintenance and without endangering your dwarves... maybe a repeating pit trap.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 03:37:43 pm »

20-30 build orders of 20-30 coffins each should produce enough coffins that a fort (not killing off migrants) would be able to bury all their dead for a thousand years.

If you're killing off migrants that number could be higher. Also you're going to need one hell of a catacomb complex.

Also remove [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »

Full automation will be unnecessary- I'll need to be watching to unpause, after all.

We will need some crazy catacombs, though. Luckily, migrants stop showing up after a couple decades of deaths.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »

>.>
<.<
Watching...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »

Full automation will be unnecessary- I'll need to be watching to unpause, after all.

We will need some crazy catacombs, though. Luckily, migrants stop showing up after a couple decades of deaths.

You can disable most of the pausing stuff in the announcements file, so I'm not sure what kind of rare, catastrophic events would be left that inspire a pause from the game.

And yeah, on my short-generation forts, fifty years of deaths and births led to such convoluted catacombs that I had given up designating coffins and was letting corpses rot on the roof into nothingness to save space. But that only worked in 40d.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »

If dwarves only die of old age, there isn't a need for catacombs anymore (at least with enough masterfully-engraved things to keep them happy). I suggest having a huge area for corpses to rot, and then occasionally dumping them every few years - if you're stable enough not to have accidental deaths or sieges.

As for long-term experiments to try... you got the basic ones covered. Are elves REALLY immortal? how about goblins? Do dwarves have genetics? How awesome are 1000-year old dragons? How stable are various types of traps? 

You could also build better super-soldiers, when coupled with the breeding program. You could test various designs of your fort for frame rates, including pathing options and total stone-quantities and food quantities effects. What can you do if you dig out basically every tile on the map beside your personal fort? Does that increase FPS, or decrease? How long does it take to train a new born dwarf into a legendary fighter, using nothing but standard training?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 02:31:44 am »

If I may point out something.

Get a stable, secure fort... then use Sheat Engine to alter the speed. 10x faster maybe? 3 hours to 1000 years?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6