Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Millenium Fortress  (Read 20592 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Millenium Fortress
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:21 am »

Why not disable moods?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:50 am »

Because I managed to forget about that. Ahahaha.

Seriously though, the biggest problem is the ghosts and diplomats. WIth those out of the way it would seem possible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »

You can deal with the diplomats (and traders) by walling off all edges on the surface with raising bridges.  Diplomats, traders, and liaisons won't spawn if there's nowhere for them to spawn.

Unfortunately, this also prevents new immigrants from appearing.  Without immigrants, your population will come entirely from children born in the fortress.  Children will have no labors other than hauling enabled, so there will be nobody to plant plump helmets once your last farmer dies.  You may need to accept manually setting children to be farmers every now and then.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »

as for ghosts, can't you just order up a metric ftone of coffins, place them and set for burial?
dwarfs that die of old age dont respawn as ghost afaik.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2011, 01:19:40 pm »

Are the old map exploits still in? I somewhat remember hearing Toady had fixed this on the surface but I've never done the exploit so I wouldn't know.
I think it's safe to assume that all my population will come from children. It's part of the experiment.

The only other thing I can think of doing with diplomats is to just edit them out of the raws. I'm no modder though so I'm not sure what affect this would have on the civ.

Got popcap set to 0 so theres only two waves of migrants in the fortress. This is to stop a population boom and also so no pesky wildlife like badgers make their way into the fortress and start killing the dwarves.
I'm considering leaving Goblins on to see if they'll stop coming after a few years. I'd like to know if their raids are made out of thin air or they come from the population pool. We'll see how FPS fairs if they do show.

As for ghosts and coffins, I've had the traders die by wildlife and their ghosts have come back for revenge. So that does't quite work either.  :-[

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2011, 01:58:48 pm »

Sealing off the edges seems to work. I only blocked off a portion of my map, but if I extended the bridges all the way round it should stop things from spawning as well as it does now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]