Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Millenium Fortress  (Read 20604 times)

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Millenium Fortress
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:20 am »

This is an awesome idea.  Do we know how much really goes on in the world during dwarf mode?  It would be interesting to look at the legends afterwards.

Based on what I have seen from looking at legends mode after the fall of a decade old fort of mine, the world outside pauses, and the only things that happen are things that happened to you in fortress mode.
Yes but that might be because a decade is too small a length of time for anything notable in the world outside to happen anyway.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:32:15 am »

This is an awesome idea.  Do we know how much really goes on in the world during dwarf mode?  It would be interesting to look at the legends afterwards.

Based on what I have seen from looking at legends mode after the fall of a decade old fort of mine, the world outside pauses, and the only things that happen are things that happened to you in fortress mode.
Yes but that might be because a decade is too small a length of time for anything notable in the world outside to happen anyway.

Nope - once you end world-gen and start a fortress or an adventurer, nothing will ever happen again in that world, except what you cause to happen.

Consider - the only way to advance time from that point on is by playing, and while you are playing, the rest of the world is in stasis.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:07 am »

Nope - once you end world-gen and start a fortress or an adventurer, nothing will ever happen again in that world, except what you cause to happen.

Consider - the only way to advance time from that point on is by playing, and while you are playing, the rest of the world is in stasis.

And so if PTTG embarks on his millenia fort in year 1, the only history that will show up in legends mode will be his.....

That is actually pretty cool.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 01:19:02 am »

I thought this thread would be about ancient Egyptian lazor beams. You lied to me.  :P
Seriously, though, this is an epic idea. I wish you the best of luck!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

So far, so good.

Alpha fortress is now running smoothly. After some early year instability, we are now fully self-contained, complete with a complex yet functional irrigation system and associated farms, a very stable drinking water supply, and most importantly, a legendary dining room.

We ran into some trouble where we had two murderous ghosts going around. We lost our doctor, a metalsmith, and a farmer. We also lost a miner to a berserk trader who got in when I needed to send a miner to the surface to open our water supply.

Now it should be a relatively easy task to let the fortress run.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 03:19:43 pm »

FPS?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »

So far, so good.

Alpha fortress is now running smoothly. After some early year instability, we are now fully self-contained, complete with a complex yet functional irrigation system and associated farms, a very stable drinking water supply, and most importantly, a legendary dining room.

We ran into some trouble where we had two murderous ghosts going around. We lost our doctor, a metalsmith, and a farmer. We also lost a miner to a berserk trader who got in when I needed to send a miner to the surface to open our water supply.

Now it should be a relatively easy task to let the fortress run.

If it's not too late, on this fort and/or the final, you could take screen shots of the fort at the start and every subsequent 100 years and upload them to the map archive for comparison - e.g. this is the fort after the great tantrum spiral of 267 nearly annihilated the entire population and destroyed most of the statues.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 03:43:25 pm »

FPS?

1600 with occasional spikes. A year takes only a couple minutes.
I guess I could upload the map now.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »

Hey, that's only 70 hours. Not bad. ;P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 01:44:29 am »

Ghosts.

Ghosts.

And more ghosts.

I can hardly unpause without being besieged by immigrants who march happily into my surface drawbridge emplacements. Below, a the dwarves have a monklike devotion to pulling the lever constantly.

The squished immigrants' freed spirits then float down through the stone and into the fortress, causing problems. I spent a LONG time trying to build tombstones for each one and set up a ready-access graveyard, but that meant I spent the vast majority of my time paused, hunting down ghost and giving specific slab-engraving orders.

I can't figure out why my fortress is apparently so valuable that hundreds of dwarves have swarmed en mass to clog my halls with ectoplasm.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 02:11:39 am »

Set your max pop to zero dude... really...

Twistshock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:00 am »

I suppose you could use dwarf foreman to maintain an acceptable amount of booze, just make sure to have it check the booze levels more often.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:15 am »

Set your max pop to zero dude... really...

Obviously, this is the answer. Or even less than zero.

Anyways, you WILL finish your millenium fortress with assloads of ghosts.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:52 am »

Why are you atom smashing - you could use drowning chambers and massive amounts of coffins, then you're set.

Btw - cool fort!

screenies?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:49 am »

I maintain a fort of 50 with the pop cap. You should be able to stabilize the population after the first couple of migrant waves and maintain the rest of the millennium with the offspring of the founders + occasional migrants.

But the ghosts are hilarious. Makes sense that a city with centuries of history will have more than a few (true) ghost stories :P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6