Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What would Dwarf Fortress look like 10 years from now?  (Read 12830 times)

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
Re: What would Dwarf Fortress look like 10 years from now?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »

I could see dwarves using some combination of blood, soap, alcohol, and black powder to start really doing some explosive terrain damage.

10 years from now?  We'll probably be seemlessly hopping between adventure mode and fortress mode within the same game, able to control single units abroad as merchants, diplomats, and assassins or even accompany armies sent out by your fortress as lone soldiers or generals.  Demons and undead and the insane remnants of failed forts will threaten to overrun the world, and the only hope will be to unify or conquer the sentient races to provide a united front to drive them away.  Some forms of magic will be implemented, which will allow over time a fortress to crossbreed dragons with kittens, making a fast breeding, flying, fire breathing mount just large enough for the kobold children you kidnapped as an adventurer and brought home to use as a mount when they are old enough to hold a copper dagger, which is a marginal improvement over the massive 6 legged, 2 headed wardogs you managed to obtain through inbreeding over a hundred years.  Megaprojects will span the entirety of world-gen.  FPS will no longer be an issue, because 10 years from now, technology will have caught up to the game finally, enabling the entire world to be run simultaneously to your fortress.

You'll still have to start up with 7 dwarves, or alternatively the ragtag army you gathered in adventure mode, and set off with oregon trail style.
You just posted awesomeness incarnate. Yes, completely, yes, i hope Toady does this in ten years

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:59 am »

Six milion sales for 4,99 euro. And quintessence of epicness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:58 pm »

Everything imaginable and many things not is possible. You will make kibble from goat meat, euntrepreneurs (sp?) will buy up the fort's copper supply and your fortress guard will beath him if he doesn't sell it back at a reasonable price. Goblins will charge at the gates, their trolls bashing down the drawbridge, only to be massacred by longspear-wielding dwarves riding dralthas or elephants, which will be easy to keep alive because they will munch on tower-caps and oaks as well as moss and grass.
FPS will be high, despite having cracked all three cavern layers on a fair-sized embark and having attracted the king. Modders will make everthing from spaceships to catapaults to steam-powered dwarves made of iron to iron men with jets that can be used as weapons or to fly clumsily.
Natural laws will be correct down to the quantum level. Farms will require more work than throwing seeds at soil. Adventurers will dual-wield axe and crossbow as they sail to far-off lands, plundering merchant tresure and being arrested and beaten for it.

But when you look past the details, the game will be the same as it was when Urist the Hermit and Boatmurdered were played, back in 2D. Dwarves will tantrum, causing others to get angry and the fortress to collapse. Elephants and goblns will be burnt by huge floods of magma, and elves drowned in the depot. The blood of the earth will be mixed with the sea to make obsidian, the underworld used as a trash dump, and insanely large constructions will dominate many a fort.

Why?
Because.
This.
Is.
Dwarf.
FORTRESS!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:33 pm »

They cant just take all that candy without the circus coming to town can they?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

In ten years, army arc and caravan arc will be done. That could easily happen in half the time, though. We also might get things like spherical lands and magic. Hopefully we'll get hauling and pathing fixes.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »

In ten years, Toady's DF spell will finally be complete and Armok shall walk the earth in physical form.  Nations will fall, religions will be wiped out and all will become nothing but Blood for the Blood God.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

KFK

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeper of the enchanting pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »

In 10 years most of us will be playing the sequel to the game that displaced Dwarf Fortress by being essentially the same thing but more polished and accessible. The rest of us (not me personally, I'll be playing the other game) will be DF die hards, and more than a little bitter that Toady didn't get those millions.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

erthel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 07:13:01 am »

You will be able to play it through kinect

mallocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 07:58:17 am »

I'm not sure about these predictions of people leaving in droves for the 'next big thing' or what have you, not because I think that people wouldn't leave, but because I have my doubts that another Dwarf Fortress will actually emerge. Kieron Gillen put this particular chain of thought much better than I could over at Rock Paper Shotgun:

Dwarf Fortress sits at the furthest tip of the development brought to the gaming mainstream by Bullfrog’s Populous. The indirect-control management/construction game, with an eye on physical simulation rules. Except Dwarf Fortress is that taken to simply ludicrous degrees. I’ve been known to compare Toady’s opus to Proust’s Remembrance of Things Past, in terms of monomanical devotion to a singular vision informed pretty much entirely by your own interests. Dwarf Fortress is the designer as God, trying to create a machine which creates universes from a seed of a number at a button-press.

Dwarf Fortress is important because it’s fucking insane.
Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/18/the-greatest-pc-games-ever-5/

I don't think this sort of game comes up very often, and I think the sheer amount of work to get even this far - a state where all but its most die hard fans will admit is in some places entirely lacking - suggests that holding one's breath for another Dwarf Fortress might be a dangerous occupation. I fully understand why people wish that an alternative would emerge, but I think that the frustrations with Toady sometimes ignore that his development priorities, e.g. absolutely everything else before a UI overhaul, are a result of him having the sort of personality that makes the game possible at all.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily right - someone could be working on a Dwarf Fortress beater even as I type this - I'm just adding my $0.02 on that particular topic.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2011, 08:05:13 am »

One thing that will definately happen is that every civ will be playable in fortress mode from humans to kobolds.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 09:40:22 am »

Like Mount and Blade

but those men would be shorter and the horses would be elephants.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 09:43:58 am »

It's more likely that Mount and Blade will look like Dwarf Fortress with graphics, but without the magical elements.

Once again:
Right now Dwarf Fortress is like the most delicious cake you will ever eat, except it's buried under a layer of dirt and you're expected to eat it with a single chopstick. Give me a modern UI and some graphics that live up to the gameplay and I'll be happy.

Hopefully in 10 years (preferably sooner) our delicious cake will be presented on a silver platter and eaten with a jewel encrusted spoon.

Most unrealistic expectation yet :P

I think Toady specifically hates trying to make pretty graphics at this point, after what happened with Armok 1, and is thoroughly uninterested in ever trying again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 09:56:39 am »

It's more likely that Mount and Blade will look like Dwarf Fortress with graphics, but without the magical elements.

You beat it! This is now the most unrealistic expectation yet!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4