Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do Dwarves experience inebriation the same way Humans do?  (Read 4228 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do Dwarves experience inebriation the same way Humans do?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:32 am »

Dwarves' best attributes are their focus and spatial sense. Alcohol obviously doesn't affect them the same way it affects us.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 09:25:46 am »

Dwarves are born in a state of knurd. That is; they see the world for how truly depressing and hopeless it is. This realisation of the world makes them fall into a melancholy and work in an apathetic state. Thus dwarves take to alcohol to bring themselves up to less sober levels so they can work in peace. Your drunkard dwarves are probably just normal humans in regards to sobriety. The sober ones were the emokids at school who wrote dark poetry about how the world is pointless.

The fact that their livers are bigger than humans (despite Dwarves being smaller than humans) is simply compensation for the fact that dwarves require alcohol to remain sane.

Discworld fan, huh?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:41 am »

I feel like, since the Dwarven liver is so much larger than our human livers, they lack the enzyme alcohol decarboxylase (I hope I spelled that right ^^), and have a different enzyme which instead directly fuels its mitochondria on the alcohol, through an as-yet, and especially as-then not understood reaction, probably involving little magma internal combustion engines.

Either way, I think alcohol dependent creatures literally need it to be a healthy, complete being, thus they burn it directly as fuel, like a plant, or they have a different enzyme which metabolizes it differently to produce a necessary vitamin, similarly to how humans produce vitamin D in the sun. If this is the case "sobriety" would be more like rickets or scurvy, than the absence of intoxicant.
Pages: 1 [2]