Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Megabeast stopper exploit! (Works on Clowns!!!!!!!!!)  (Read 9263 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EDIT: Awesome MB exploit!
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 08:24:47 pm »

Thank Armok for such knowledge to befall me! The fatal flaw of Megabeasts is pride, for they cannot make an undramatic entrance!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 09:02:25 pm »

MrHappyFace cancels fort: Interrupted by bugfix.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 09:13:04 pm »

Thank Armok for such knowledge to befall me! The fatal flaw of Megabeasts is pride, for they cannot make an undramatic entrance!
They sit there and cry. They wish for you to pull the magma lever so their shame is washed away.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MBs just standing in front of my fort?
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »

Dragon cancels Wreak Havoc: Interrupted by sock.
Funny thing is that stupid dorfs picking up socks is the leading cause of death in sieges and MB attacks. Ah the irony.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 11:32:53 pm »

Funny thing is that stupid dorfs picking up socks is the leading cause of death in sieges and MB attacks. Ah the irony.
For me it's dwarves running the wrong way. As in, they run in the worst possible direction.

Goblins coming from the side? They run away from the fort.

Goblins come from straight ahead? They still run away from the fort.

Goblins come from behind or from inside the fort? They run into the fort.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »

For me it's dwarves running the wrong way. As in, they run in the worst possible direction.
Claimed socks are the best bet at creating a conducive scenario for that.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »

Claimed socks are the best bet at creating a conducive scenario for that.
That's not what I mean.

I mean when an ambush comes, the dwarves run away. In the most inconvenient direction possible. While socks may be a great factor, they are not the leading cause in my forts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »

Place claimed socks inside fort.  Every dwarf will now instantly path their way into your fort.  In the wild, the native dwarf will run towards new, freshly claimed socks still wrapped around the goblins stinking foot.  In a controlled environment, the sock can be used to lure a dwarf back into the safety of the dirt and stone.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 12:03:21 am »

Place claimed socks inside fort.  Every dwarf will now instantly path their way into your fort.  In the wild, the native dwarf will run towards new, freshly claimed socks still wrapped around the goblins stinking foot.  In a controlled environment, the sock can be used to lure a dwarf back into the safety of the dirt and stone.
They aren't picking up socks. They are running away in terror.

Like a deer and a hunter.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 12:08:28 am »

problem is that no one seems to touch socks that are already claimed except for the owner.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 12:18:57 am »

This is true.  What you need is a forbidden stockpile of unclaimed socks (provided you can stockpile and forbid them before they're claimed - unlikely) in your panic room.  Then when ambush comes, unforbid the stockpile, and watch as all your dwarves run to safety to claim their newly discovered socks!
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 12:25:58 am »

I'm picturing a stack of twenty pairs of nice white cotton socks, in a glass case on the wall at the back of the most secure portion of the fortress.  Written across the front of the glass are the words:

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
BREAK GLASS
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 03:06:13 am »

It's made out of metal.
It's not, and if it was; more and heavier bolts. :)

Bronze Colossus is Bronze.
Yes, but we are dealing with a cyclops.
WHAT THE FUCK?

When I first read this I was sure I read "bronze colossus".

That is fucking weird.

Hey, just got here, wanna mention something about bolts vs. Bronze Collossi

Okies, I was once attacked by a Bronze Collosus, during my first truly successful fort. My pop was over 120, and I was pumping out weapons and armor for my danger roomed military.
Long story short, it beat my military to death while laughing. I had no weapons strong enough to take on bronze effectively(or so I thought...) and though, after killing off or maiming most of my war dwarves, it had red-class injuries EVERYWHERE (including a missing arm, a missing forearm on the other side, and lopped off feet at the ankles), it would. Not. Die.

By pure luck, the damn thing fell into a murky pool. I thought this was great, until it started causing cancel spam on my dwarves.

Months go by, and lousy doctoring means that my military was not returning to their posts, but were either still in the hospital, or succumbing to infection. Way lame.

Anyhoo, a minotaur shows up. I figure I'd send what's left of my military out after him. Less than five marksdwarves, and a few raw recruit melee dwarves, who've barely touched the danger room. I flip the kill-switch on them, and they stream out of the fort.* I'm keeping my view centered on the minotaur, to make sure it doesn't flee the map, or if it does, I can at least turn off the kill command so my dwarfs won't stand around outside.

The melee dwarves show up, and get ye olde piss beaten from them. More deaths. After a bit, I wonder where the markdwarves show up, and attempt to melee the Minotaur. They had no bolts. Very peculiar. So, I looked in the combat log for one of them. Apparently, he passed by Collosus pond on it's way, and decided to take some pot-shots.

Then I reach the end of the log. As I recall, it went something like this:

The copper bolt strikes the collosus in the torso and the severed part flies off in an ark!

The fort died a half a year later, due to a siege, not enough traps, and a bed-ridden military. Worse, when winter came, the bronze statue was, of course, destroyed.

To sum up: I once killed a (admittedly weakened) bronze collosus with bolts.

I'm just Saiyan.

*Well, trickle. This was on my old comp, so it ran slow, and there weren't many besides.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2011, 06:07:39 am »

I'm picturing a stack of twenty pairs of nice white cotton socks, in a glass case on the wall at the back of the most secure portion of the fortress.  Written across the front of the glass are the words:

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY
BREAK GLASS

Hey, reminds me I have thought of a very nice and destructive trap for building destroyers some time ago.
-make external pressured water/magma reservoir, on the way to your fort, so that building destroyers WILL walk next to it.
-before filling it, replace one wall with a glass window. They're magma-proof, so they will contain water/magma just fine, but they're buildings, therefore, they are likely to get destroyed.
-fill it.
-add a note on top of the window: "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS", or something like that. Not mandatory, but just better this way
-building destroyer will not be able to fight the urge to break the glass and very likely drown/get incinerated in the process.
-what, cleaning up the mess? Not my business. You figure it out.  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2011, 01:00:55 pm »

I rebooted the game and I got a BC instead. I turns out the only way it goes away is if you remove the obstruction or remove the door. I just keep it in my cellar now, along with all my other prisoners.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4