Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haven't started a fort since 40d or something. What do I need to know?  (Read 4446 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Thread title sums it up. What's different between then and now that I should know to manage a new fort successfully until ill-advised science ends it (instead of some weaksauce crap like invaders)?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back

Lots. Lots and lots. See this thread.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:51:16 am by xmakina »
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

What the balls did you do to that URL?

I somehow managed to fix it....
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back

What the balls did you do to that URL?

I somehow managed to fix it....

Put the URL in quotation marks. Apparently, not a good idea. :o
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to know nothing, nothing at all. Just go ahead and play. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Well, I was mostly wondering if stuff like the squad system was going to be arcane to figure out.

And if Burrows are implemented and how they work if they are.

Stuff like that.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Dachande

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I was mostly wondering if stuff like the squad system was going to be arcane to figure out.

And if Burrows are implemented and how they work if they are.

Stuff like that.
Haven't played since 31.18 I think, just before the caravan arc, but unless it's been changed...

Yeah, the squad system will take you a while to figure out. And burrows have been implemented; they're sort of an integral part of the squad system. The squad system, once you figure out how it works, is pretty cool, I think. Just really annoying to set up.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile

A few minor things I noticed

Some animals are now grazers,  they need grass (or moss) to survive.  You need to put them in a pasture.  They'll starve even in cages.

You can make large pots out of stone.  They basically act like barrels.

Skills and attributes rust.  There's more attributes now too.

The Arena!  You can now test how many knife-wielding goblins it takes to take down a dragon.

There's poultry now, and eggs.  Also bees.  There's pottery, which you use clay for.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pottery is basically awesome because with magma you can create infinite large pots to act as barrels with much less hauling delay than glass pots or barrels.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Also the hospitals, the hospitals are awesome. Good doctors can make the most crippled dwarf into a useful Urist WasInjured in a few seasons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Pottery is basically awesome because with magma you can create infinite large pots to act as barrels with much less hauling delay than glass pots or barrels.

This sounds amazing, especially with guaranteed magma.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Large pots made from stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop don't even need magma, just stone.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Also the hospitals, the hospitals are awesome. Good doctors can make the most crippled dwarf into a useful Urist WasInjured in a few seasons.
This is dwarven medical !!Science!! at its best (I don't think this will happen though. Not even dwarves are that stupid. Ok, now I'm just not sure.)

Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

So if I'm not mistaken, Fire Clay looks like the game's most useful resource on account of "DUDE, freaking INFINITE FREE BARRELS" with no need to glaze them.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile

So if I'm not mistaken, Fire Clay looks like the game's most useful resource on account of "DUDE, freaking INFINITE FREE BARRELS" with no need to glaze them.

Regular stone pots from the craftsdwarf shop does the same thing but requires no fuel. Any stone will make a watertight barrel analogue with no fuss. You can set it to auto-produce to train stonecrafters and dump all the excess on trade caravans. And the pots only weight 2 urist, so lighter than barrels.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: [1] 2