Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarfs!? - New casual indie game on Steam  (Read 63275 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs!? - New casual indie game on Steam
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 06:25:30 am »

The simplistic graphics hearken back to a more primitive time, when we were still running around in caves drawing on the walls in very simple linear symbols.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 06:37:11 am »

Food supplies? There was an update I missed or are you just talking about a game you haven't even played? If you even play this for 5 min and you still compare it with DF you clearly never played DF.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 06:37:45 am »

Thank you Dutchling.

Exactly my sentiments.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 06:37:56 am »

Thank you ein, as much as that wasn't the exact point, but derived from it.

I did answer your question, Briggsy. A blue square symbolises water, a yellow for sand. Blue is symbolic of water. This type of symbolism has been used since before anybody alive on this earth was born. But regardless, how the game presents itself is irrelevant as to why it chooses this form. Did it choose it because it wanted to embellish days long gone and summon a sense of nostalgia, or because somebody else was already doing that, and doing it very well?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:40:42 am »

The graphics are decent and simple. They aren't nostalgic as they aren't in that style.

Have you played this game?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 06:46:58 am »

You are not exactly listening (Read: Reading) are you?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 06:49:12 am »

Just answer the question instead of dancing around it, have you played this game? Yes or no?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 06:50:46 am »

Well no, I could not give a sock! I did watch the lp though. The point that you enjoy dancing around is the other mark similarity, instead praying on that sole distinction. The point still stands, regardless of if they must eat or not.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 06:54:37 am »

So you're arguing about a game you haven't played. I see.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:19 am »

Away from the pointless arguing a bit, I figure this will soon be $2.50 during a steam sale, will it be worth a look at then?  I realize its not DF, but would it be a fun puzzle game to get 2.50 worth out of? 

Also a small rant:  It seems to be a constant that every game that comes out that includes dwarves or is slightly like DF the topic about it dissolves into flames and bile on why its not as good as DF.  (this, goblin camp, etc)  Gotta say this is getting sad folks, DF is a very oddball game and the work of years.  Comparing other stuff to it is always going to be apples and oranges.  Any independent developer like this who manages to bring a game out deserves to have the thing judged on its own merits rather than being held up against something like DF.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:08:42 am »

I've bought it and it's a very nice game. If you still doubt, take a look at this :P

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:33:57 am »

Get the demo, I say. It is too much arcade for my taste. Really all you do is 1) encase water and lava so it can't get out and 2) train warriors to kill the rare, rare invader and 3) direct dwarves towards the good loot. All these 3 things can be done in one to three clicks.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 09:59:58 am »

Also a small rant:  It seems to be a constant that every game that comes out that includes dwarves or is slightly like DF the topic about it dissolves into flames and bile on why its not as good as DF.  (this, goblin camp, etc)  Gotta say this is getting sad folks, DF is a very oddball game and the work of years.  Comparing other stuff to it is always going to be apples and oranges.  Any independent developer like this who manages to bring a game out deserves to have the thing judged on its own merits rather than being held up against something like DF.
Well said, good sir! I'm fully agreed with you.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10