Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarfs!? - New casual indie game on Steam  (Read 63279 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs!? - New casual indie game on Steam
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2011, 05:01:48 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone checked their homepage today but... jeeze. I have never seen such an elaborate apology over a perceived slight. Not that this isn't an incredibly cool thing to do Nomet, because it is, but I didn't think there were really any hard feelings between Bay12 and Dwarfs!? to begin with. There are just a couple folks on this forum who cry bloody murder whenever they see another game with dwarfs or...digging. Because Toady invented those things.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that this is an awesome thing to do. Going to try out the game right now.

Screeny of what I'm talking about for posterity.

EDIT: Fixed derp broken link
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:03:25 pm by kinseti »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2011, 05:03:54 pm »

I'm actually worried about what Kinseti is saying. Are we so bad reputation wise as a community that an indie dev had to try to appease the more loud members with free stuff?

That's not a very good feeling to have.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 05:05:50 pm »

I'm actually worried about what Kinseti is saying. Are we so bad reputation wise as a community that an indie dev had to try to appease the more loud members with free stuff?

Well, I feel a little less bad that they did a similar thing for Facebook and another place before us. That was nice of them too :) I'm hoping more people will try this game now, I certainly have (my first game was fun because it ended with half of my dwarves dead).

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2011, 05:06:31 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone checked their homepage today but... jeeze. I have never seen such an elaborate apology over a perceived slight. Not that this isn't an incredibly cool thing to do Nomet, because it is, but I didn't think there were really any hard feelings between Bay12 and Dwarfs!? to begin with. There are just a couple folks on this forum who cry bloody murder whenever they see another game with dwarfs or...digging. Because Toady invented those things.

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that this is an awesome thing to do. Going to try out the game right now.

Screeny of what I'm talking about for posterity.

EDIT: Fixed derp broken link

Nah, it's obviously that Toady invented games. And air, don't forget the air!  :P
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2011, 05:08:00 pm »

I'm kind worried now too, after reading the previous posts that might have caused this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2011, 05:08:40 pm »

I'm kind worried now too, after reading the previous posts that might have caused this.

I also noticed that there was a 98-post outcry thread on the steam forums.

Why, humanity, why?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »

I also noticed that there was a 98-post outcry thread on the steam forums.

Why, humanity, why?

I believe there is one post saying it's a rip off, and the rest are telling the OP that he is wrong, along with other DF players.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »

Awesomeness was had and codes were quickly consumed.

nomet

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...
    • View Profile
    • Dwarfs!?
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

Well hope you guys like the game. If you have any feedback or id's don't be afraid to go into the forums and post away!
I'm a dwarfs and i'm digging a hole...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2011, 05:41:57 pm »

Well hope you guys like the game. If you have any feedback or id's don't be afraid to go into the forums and post away!
Game's pretty fun. Just a few thoughts, I can imagine giant antlions would be a terrible surprise for dwarves to randomly face as a boss character, and would have to kill them off in a manner similar to how ants take on antlions (overwhelming force is best). Having random events occur like sinkholes would also hamper some arcade play once in awhile (dug out tiles all of a sudden become pits), running into ant colonies (or fire ant colonies) would also be a rather unpleasant surprise to dig into as well. Another boss idea could also be a sandworm/giant earthworm.

I dunno. Just got through the tutorial, so I don't know how many of those already are implemented or not.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:44:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2011, 05:50:07 pm »

Sandworms would be interesting if the dwarves were digging in a desert...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2011, 06:13:29 pm »

Well, with the earthworms, they would be particularly nasty beasts since they can eat both rock and dirt blocks as they move and can compromise some blocking of water or lava caves, however, their weakness is that they can only keep traveling in un-dug dirt tiles, meaning you'll have to trap them in exposed tiles before you can kill them off. Sandworms could be similar, except they're actively hunting other dwarves and are invisible until it's too late and can (exclusively) travel dug out tiles. Unlike earthworms though, they can't go through solidified rock walls.

Sandworms would be an especially nasty surprise since you are not notified about exposing a cave with them, so you'll have to keep a close eye on opening new caves as you play, and treat them with equal levels of paranoia as you would with lava or water. I think they would require at least 5 warriors or a few lvl 3< warriors to take them on.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:16:56 pm by Itnetlolor »

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:16 am »

I love how the df community can manage to get the developer to give away the game shame i missed out
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2011, 08:49:40 am »

I want to give the developer a hug. Now this is actually making me tempted to buy the game, after that show of generosity.

How good is Dwarfs!? I've been looking at it from time to time, but never watched any videos of it.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2011, 12:47:00 pm »

considering purchase when I get paid, maybe will do give away of it for a few copies for you guys.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10