Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange happenings in world gen  (Read 4614 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Strange happenings in world gen
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:22:50 pm »

I recently started trying out Legends Viewer, and it's pretty awesome, it's great for finding out about a specific nation's history. So I was looking through the time in which the world was generated, focusing on a specific Dwarven civilisation in a world that genned till 250. This civilisation expanded quite well and thrived, having about 11 forts at it's peak and won several wars.

Up until 249, when all but 3 forts become that sort of dulled colour they do in legends viewer when they are destroyed, followed a year later by complete disappearance or reclamation typically. In 250, they all disappear, as if destroyed. I was thinking that some other civilisation had steamrolled them, but I checked the individual histories of the sites and the only thing listed for the mysterious happening in 249 was 'Unknown' in the space that usually indicates when and how a site ended(In 19 XXX was founded by XXXX and it was destroyed by XXX in 156 or something like that). The unknown is something to do with the XML import being incomplete. I then noticed that this strange event had not just occurred to this specific Dwarven civilisation, but to all civilisations, though only Dwarven civilisations were affected as badly, most other races lost a couple of sites out of 20-100.

I'm going to check this out in in-game legends once my current adventurer kicks the bucket, but this seems to be strange and sort of explains why my Dwarven civs are always almost dead in all of my games. Has anyone else come across this? Is it a known bug or something?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange happenings in world gen
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:11 pm »

You should make a copy of your region folder, rename it, and retire your adventurer in the copied folder. Then you can view the legends without leaving the adventurer behind.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »

From what I've seen while working on Legends Viewer is that sites can die off by either being destroyed in a war, starvation, or possibly beast attacks. Legends, even in game, only indicates that a site was lost when it is destroyed in war, but you can tell a site was lost by other means at some unknown point if it gets reclaimed without being destroyed or is listed as unowned in the sites export file.

Currently dwarves aren't very good at surviving world gen and tend to starve to death, but that is being fixed in the next version.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:45:40 am »

Perhaps they dug too deep, too greedily. Have you tried sending an adventurer to one of these fortresses ?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 04:51:28 am »

OMG IT WAS HAEROBRINE!!11!!HE IS REAL!!1
[Signature]

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:06:35 am »

why would minecraft creepypasta be in dwarf fortress?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:25:40 am »

I'll check the ruins out at some point, if I can find them. Finding Dwarven fortresses in adventurer mode is nigh impossible.

It's strange because the sites all just disappear on the last year of world gen. I remember getting quite successful Dwarven civilisations in previous versions, particularly if there was some sort of central mountain range, but it doesn't seem to happen quite as often any more.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:48:50 am »

Finding Dwarven fortresses in adventurer mode is nigh impossible.

Unless you've modded them to use Human towns, Dwarven fortresses in adventurer mode are impossible to find because they don't actually exist (and haven't since version 0.31.13, when civ sprawl was added).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52:12 am »

Really? Damn.

I looked through legends and couldn't find anything. It seems that everything's running along perfectly fine and then the sites just disappear and stop reporting events for the last year.

E: Oh, also, does that mean no goblin towers? I can't go and slay the leader of some Goblin civilisation?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:09:16 pm by Cheese »

Drifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »

I havt check legends but its seems that many of the dwarven civs fail. 1-2 depending on if i use a high # of civs or a very high #. Also it seems much harder to find coal with a good mix of metal.

Updates arnt always good. liked it better when u could see what the layers were before embark.
Quote from: saltmummy626
adamantine, the only material that can be honed to an edge so fine it can cut light, cleave steel like butter, and sever heads with the enthusiasm of a deranged bloodthirsty child.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 02:55:27 pm »

Updates arnt always good. liked it better when u could see what the layers were before embark.

Keep playing those versions then.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:22:54 pm »

E: Oh, also, does that mean no goblin towers? I can't go and slay the leader of some Goblin civilisation?

Sorry, you can only slay the Goblin leaders you want in Fortress mode. Possibly, if you modded them to have human towns. You'll have to go to 31.12 and lower to get your unique settlements, sorry. In regards to your earlier question, the only fortresses you will find are your abandoned ones and that's because they existed post-worldgen.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 01:05:51 am »

I've modded my goblins and dwarves to build castles.  Unfortunately, from outside they look exactly like human ones sooooooooooo... yeah, adventure at your own risk ;)
where is up?

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 10:38:47 am »

Though I imagine it is undesirable in DF, Dwarven civilizations do have a nasty habit of sucking kobolds in most fantasy universes.  They either dig too deep and are too headstrong (Tolkien),are at the forefront of world-eating disasters (Dragon Age), or are just generally on their way out (most universes).

The more details we get from Toady's work, the more I wonder what the code that underlies all of this looks like.  I mean, how do you just turn off a civ at a certain moment in world gen?  How do you just add bees?  The infrastructure he has developed must be a real interesting C++ brew.
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too