Poll

Which is better?

Minecraft
Dwarf fortress
Both are great! :D
Better is relative!
BBBBEEEEEEEES!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress VS. Minecraft  (Read 27418 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress VS. Minecraft
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:13 pm »

Minecraft is legos. It's actually just legos. There is no purpose to anything, just legos. At least DF will eventually have a world with actors who you will be able to troll into all sorts of reactions.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 10:06:03 pm »

Just put a third option, "Both are okay".

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:28 pm »

Fourth option: Better is relative.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:51 pm »

Fifth option: BEEEEEES!

I don't see a reason to compare different games unless they are so similar that it's hard to pick between them. It's probably a personal issue, but whatever.

Great thinking to post this here.

If you are lucky, you can derive an inductive proof for Dwarf Fortress Players on THE Dwarf Fortress Forum liking Dwarf Fortress.
Greetings, Cpt. Obvious! ;D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Itsapaul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:02:35 pm »

I play both, but comparing which is better is like comparing CoD with Mass Effect 2 or something.  They do their different things quite well.  I personally prefer DF since it's MUCH easier to get cool "looking" stuff done without wasting all my time, but really there's not the same genre so you can't really say one's better.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »

the thread isn't about how they are the same or diffrent, just which is better.

The problem with this is, some things aren't better or worse, they are just different(as in this case).  It's like asking if an RPG is better than an RTS or if a TBS is better than either.  Or if horror movies are better than dramas, or perhaps action movies are better than either. 

Each of these is simply different.  One is not better than the other.  Comparing games only makes sense if they are in the same genre.  When they are different genres, which one you like more is usually going to say more about the person than the game itself -- that's just the way it is. 

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:53 am »

Ugh who would even like Dwarf Fortress, I mean in Minecraft you can use the grind the bones of your enemies into a dust that magically grows trees instantaneously, it's like, if I want a magical pretty forest paradise I can build it right NOW.

And in DF, it's like, I can't even have one of those? At least the trees are magma proof, but all the bunnies die. :'(

(Is this the sort of argument you're looking for? It's been said before, but we don't need any more threads on this topic...or probably any posts denying the need for threads like this. Hm.)
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:11 am »

Two different game.  As a matter of fact, two completely different genre.
Minecraft is a FPS/Adventure game.
Dwarf Fortress is a TBS/City-building/RPG game.
The only commonality is that both have procedurally generated world and involve some entity that can dig, build, and apply horrible horrible trap against their enemies.
Minecraft: Mob spawn towers.
Dwarf Fortress: Mermaid bone factory.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 11:18:06 am »

Neither is better than the other if you ask me, they both have their own niche, and i'm a fan of both. The crucial difference? In Minecraft, you build, kill and get killed. In DF, you lord over dorfs that all do this (and have better magma physics). Although i really enjoy the level of detail in DF, i sometimes wish i could take on the world from a Minecraft perspective, and vice versa. I swear, if these two games ever had a bastard child, i would forget that i'm a man and shriek so loudly in joy that the government comes checking for aliens. And it would be WORTH IT. I'm slightly inclined to prefer DF over Minecraft right now though, since it's free. :P (the learning curve is more like a learning wall though)

TL;DR: both games have qualities that the other doesn't
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 08:33:14 pm »

Minecraft is based off of DF, end of story.

I am saying this because i play it. Since the alpha.

And before the Infdev.

And before the Indev.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

Guess it depends, do you want substance in a game and are happy with no graphical stimulation?, or are you happy to provide all the substance yourself and require graphical stimulation?

If you picked a game with substance, then go with DF. Otherwise, MC is the sandboxing utopia for you! Of course some like abit of this and abit of that, so some people are going to play some of both.

I love DF all the way, i'm well and truely done with shallow, glamour games with no personality, played them all, DF continues to bring new depths and concepts that mainstream gaming does not. Plus there are a couple of real champions in the modding forum bringing in visual stimulation that is really first rate for the limited graphics capabilities they have to work with.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 02:37:47 am »

They're both great.

Minecraft: You dig an epic subterranian fortress for yourself, and you survive all alone, plus, there are no set goals, and you can build all you want and nobody will penalize you in any way.

Dwarf Fortress: You dig an epic subterranian fortress for a bunch of dwarves, and you struggle to make them thrive, plus, there are no set goals, and you can build all you want and nobody will penalize you in any way.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 03:21:04 am »

In Minecraft, you can build a massive tower that reaches to the sky and back.

In Dwarf Fortress, you can throw cats off it.

/thread
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 03:32:40 am »

Next time let's compare fridges and heaters. This thread is stupid. They're absolutely different kinds of games.
I don't need a signature.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 03:39:16 am »

This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6