Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving military docs  (Read 1447 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Improving military docs
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:25:19 pm »

Not sure about everyone else right now but I feel like the military docs are a bit of a mess. For example, recently I found this:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Military_interface

Which is great but I hadn't been able to find it as a new player because it almost wasn't linked to from anywhere. (I linked to it in about 3 or 4 places to fix this.)

What would people think about reorganizing them by expertise or "theory" levels as follows?

Beginner - How to create a squad, how to order squads around, basic stuff about the UI
Novice - More comprehensive reference docs on the exact features available. How to set up patrols, etc.
Expert - Design advice, theory, more detail about equipment

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Improving military docs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:31:57 am »

I found it when I searched for it (don't know if it was via google or via the wiki) and it helped me a lot. But if you think you can improve it, feel free to do so.
I was thinking of three sections:
1. goblins attack my base wtfshudido?
2. easy to understand help about everything, (what it is now)
3. maybe a section for 40d people who keep bitching about the new military system? They are the only ones who do not seem to understand the it afaik

They might overlap so your idea could be better >.>

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:45:11 am »

Well, so far two newbs who have posted threads about how they don't understand the military stuff have ignored my questions about which documents they read on the wiki and what parts they got stuck on, so I'm starting to think the docs are fine and these particular people just decided to start asking questions on the forum without bothering to read anything first.

Anyway, I'm not really inspired to do anything until I find some people who did try to read the docs and can give me some idea where they got confused or what the docs didn't explain.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:25:10 pm »

Bla... Well, I moved all of the military stuff out of the "Quickstart guide" into it's own page, mostly just to shorten the quickstart guide. Then I linked the military quickstart doc from the main Military doc and sorted the list of articles at the top by expertise level. That's pretty much it....

So, beyond that I don't care. If a newb can't figure out the military docs at this point then they are probably hopeless anyway.