Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a tutorial for adventure mode?  (Read 1918 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a tutorial for adventure mode?
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:32:29 am »

Hey.
I finally got me some free time again and I've been looking at playing some more DF lately. I decided on trying out something new so I've begun exploring my current world in my very own adventure.
Now this is the first time I play adventure mode so while I'm used to how DF works I'm quite lost when it comes to keeping my adventurer alive.

So I'd like to ask, could anyone point me towards a good tutorial on adventure mode? I've done a little searching but to no avail. I would prefer a written guide on how to get started rather then a video.

And ofcourse some questions as well. Let me say first the world I'm exploring is a pocket region and contains only a dwarven elven human and goblin civ.
For some reason my dwarf adventurer started in a human town on the other side of the realm rather then a mauntainhome, but no biggy I'll make my way there eventually. It's not to bad infact as the entire dwarven civ seems to be in an evil biome (very dwarfy I know).

Anyway, I had 3 tries up til now, so far two of my deaths has been to goblin ambushes. I stand no chance vs a goblin that pierces my vitals in one stab of the spear. My latest adventurer found her way safely to the human capital (wich was quite underwelming) and after meeting with the civs master, wich seemed to be a grime beast or some such, I recruited two human swordsmen.

So now how  to proceed in a way that won't get me killed before I can even manage to get to my fortress.

I understand my highest priority right now would be to gather some decent equipment, beginning with some armor such has chain or plate. However I've not yet found a shop to actually buy armor. So far I have visited 2 human towns and a human fortress, I found one merchant who sold some useless crap. Do I need to find a dwarven merchant to find dwarf size armor?
What should and shouldn't I loot? So far I've been looting everything I imagine being of some value, from honey badger corpses to two handed silver swords. Can I carry as much loot as I want?
How do I get food? I'd love to have a steady supply of food, if only I could butcher the wild animals I've killed so far. Maybe I could make some lion brain roast. Also how do I fill my waterskin?
Another one, what's up with quests? So far nearly all quests I've gotten is to kill night creatures. I valiantly volenteered with my previous adventurer, wich is why it's my previous adventurer. This one got a quest to kill a human bandit wich did succeed, but I'm not quite confident to go find that night creature den again. Having your face scratched off does that to you.

Will post more questions if I come up with something else.

I've quite been enjoying myself with this adventure mode to, it's a lot of fun to actually experience what goes on in the world as you read it in legends mode. This one seems to be quite a messed up world with a human civ led by a grime monster, the elves led by a night creature spouse, the dwarves settling in the frozen evil mauntains and the goblins getting hammered by the humans and elves, and the latter two at each others throats aswell. Now I'd love to visit my underground town and explore the surrounding caverns.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a tutorial for adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:54 am »

I vaguely skimmed over this thread, but, there is an adventure mode forum specifically, and the wiki does contain a vague tutorial on adventure mode.  And, as always, pressing ? during gameplay brings up the in-game help.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »

Oh I see I posted this in dwarf mode discussion and it was supposed to go to gameplay questions. My bad.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

I was under the impression that the gameplay questions was for every aspect of the game, and the two discussion for actual discussion of that specific game mode. They're just gameplay questions not discussion. Not that it matters much since it's in  the wrong section regardless.  :'(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

Ideally yes, but we're a relatively small community (compared to, say, WoW, or even other single player games like Mass Effect), so we don't usually care overly much if something is misplaced.  But if you're gonna ask about adventure mode, asking it to the adventurers would certainly help.  Even if it's not -exactly- the right area to ask, there's more people there who are likely to know how to help.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 01:33:07 am »

How close is this to what you were looking for?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_mode_quick_start

I rewrote this a while back. It's still kind of vague but it's a lot less vague than it was before. Let me know what parts you get stuck on and I'll try to improve it.