Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Close Shaves  (Read 2041 times)

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Close Shaves
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:02:07 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Close Shaves
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:36 pm »

Well, once I was messing around pretending to be invicible, clad in adamantine from head to toe. I had genned a world where adamantine wasn't exclusive to Fortresses and there where dwarven towns. And so, in my travels I came upon a labyrinth, thinking I would find sweet adamantine loot I dived in to kill the minotaur, my adventurer was a legendary dodger, armor user and shield user but that was it. The battle with the minotaur was terrible, I don't remember where did he hit me but he managed to cripple one of my legs and have my adventurer give in to pain, between the small frames of "consciousness" among the pain, I noticed that for some reason he had not been able to kill me. I don't remember clearly but I managed to recover one of my weapons cut one of his legs and kill him... maybe it was the adamantine?

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

had aprox 15 followers (All professional soldiers)
We were ambushed by goblins in the middle of the night *remembers the event* 6 of my men charged at the main force (aprox 14) and were chopped to bits in seconds but my other force of crossbowmen began to loose bolt upon bolt on the oncoming goblins while I held the stragglers that tried attacking from the sides (one of my kills was throwing a iron battle axe into a goblin wrestlers chest, knocking him over and crippling him). My crossbowmen killed 9 of them and got stabbed, slashed and torn to bits by the others..... Whilst I turned to slay another of the greenskins, a bronze bolt broke my leg and I thought I was done, But I found a river whilst crawling away (Throwing all manners of things back at the attacking goblins) and jumped in, started drowning, got out and threw pebbles at the goblins from across the river, went to the nearest town, retired and put the story here.....
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Xenxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:05:33 pm »

The last adventure I had i was fighting some bandits and I had a companion with me.
My companion was being hacked by an axeman so I stabbed the spearman I was fighting in the gut and then ran off to save my friend.
I was able to save my companion he crawled away and passed out but I took a big hit to the chest i was bleeding and in pain and the axe was stuck i nthe wound but you know that all adventurers don;t feel pain so I kept fighting and eventually i took out all the bandits basically bleeding through my chest me and my companion who has gashes everywhere and half of his limbs are broken we crawl back to town and heal up.

My companion died in the next bandit battle And I Died a week later fighting a vile ogress.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

This happened a while ago, I was playing as a dwarf hero who's weapon of choice is a Toy Hammer and a bunch of arrows for throwing. Been doing pretty well up until this point, having bested 4 night creatures and a giant alone.  I go to kill this skeletal hydra, and right at the start of the fight I'm immediately put on the ground as both my right arm and my left leg bitten off.  I'm fighting for my life trying to get away, in extreme agony, faint and near death from blood loss, pretty much fucked and starting to get desperate. Nearly every attack I launch is missing at this point, so after a lucky roll puts some distance between the two of us, I decide that the toy hammer isn't working; ARROW THROW GO! The one silver arrow hits it in the upper body, and POOF... fight over.

Now this hero wields silver crutch that doubles as both a walking tool and a lethal weapon, very nifty (especially since he was already a Misc. Object User to begin with). Good thing both of the missing limbs weren't on the same side, that would've made crutchwalking REAL awkward.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:17:38 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 01:43:41 am »

Last one where I seriously thought I was dead but managed to escape...

My dwarf along with a bunch of companions were fighting a relatively large group of demons. One of them bit one of my arms and one of my legs off. Either I or a companion managed to kill the demon I was fighting about the time it bit my leg off, but I had lost so much blood that I was faint with blood loss.

I managed to duck behind a hill and go into Sneak mode, then managed to escape. (I was a legendary ambusher at that point so this wasn't too hard, even missing a leg.)

Later I got a crutch and practiced crutch walking until I was back up to normal movement rate. After that I was back to kicking ass as usual.

I finally got bored of the character at some point and retired it. I still have it around somewhere....

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:29:52 am »

I've mentioned this one in another thread. I got mauled by a winged plains titan as a hero in adventurer mode. It managed to make me pass out, and I thought I was done for when I suddenly wake up and the beast is dead, slain by one of my followers, an axeman. The damn thing could've killed me, but apparently it was too busy tearing my face off.

That adventurer lost an eye, his nose, lips, cheeks (both or just one, don't remember) and an ear. Turns out the massive beast was clawing my face for several turns but somehow didnt crush my skull. I actualy retired that one some titans and demons later.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:20:09 am »

i had onewhere i was fighting a night creature, hit me badly and i got the -mortal wound flashing at the bottom, before i managed to kill it
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »

My most recent close shave, that I can't really consider a victory, was against a Roc.

Having legendary defensive skills, including dodging which was well over 3000, I thought it would be a walk in the park, particularly considering the 3 dragons I had taken out with the same guy.

Got there, the Roc tore off my left hand, then my right hand, then my left lower arm and right lower arm. I still thought I had a chance at killing it by throwing things and kicking it to death, but then it tore off my left leg, so I called it quits, crawled to the nearest merchant town and retired.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:31:50 am »

My group of 10 armored soldiers was jumped by 20 goblins, many of them archers. They killed 2 of us immediately, and wounded half of us. Our blades were superior, and killed half of them before they ran off. We had our three best men left, in fully clad iron.

We went to the troll we were assigned to kill. The other soldiers charges and started their battle, blocking every hit. I marched to the beast, and slashed my sword. The troll dodged it, and punched my head off immediately.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 03:00:33 am »

I had an army of about 12 orcs. I was attacking a bronze colossus and we had almost destroyed it when, suddenly, it grabbed my by the throat! I passed out. I thought "Damn, this adventurer is gone. He was fun while he lasted" BUT, my favourite spearorc stabbed the BC in its head, killing it.

I checked the combat logs. If I had been strangled a few more times, I would be dead.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 07:25:39 am »

I was playing vanilla as a duel blade human with a 2H sword in each hand.  I had done so many quests and got my first fortress quest to kill an ettin.  I picked out my army of about 7 humans and we slaughtered that ettin.  On the way back, we got ambushed by goblins and a massive battle followed.  I got knocked down and killed SOMANY gobbos while down.  Right then I made my transition from swordsman to swordmaster and gained a sexy new sprite.  As I stood up to continue the fight, a goblin snuck up and hit me from behind, shattering my ankle.  I went down and he beat the shit out of me as I flickered in and out of conciousness.  I still had lots of soldiers and there were still tons of goblins left.  I watched in horror as a bloodbath ensued.  As I finally regained conciousness, I looked around.  It was the middle of the night and NOBODY was left.  I was really badly mauled so I limped back to town.  As I stumbled into a hut and laid to rest, my wounds began to heal.  After a long rest, I checked my wounds.  My ability to grasp in both hands had been completely lost.  I could no longer hold a sword.  Seeing that my adventuring days were over, I headed back to my home town and retired for good.  I still have no idea how I survived that battle.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:31:41 am by Zdrok »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 07:50:52 am »

One time I was in battle with a bandit leader, who at an artifact steel whip. Every hit he made would strike me to the ground, and every time I stood up he would get 2-4 hits in on me, so I fought him like that. I managed to cut off his leg with my iron short sword (lucky strike, as he was a grand master dodger) and then knock him to the ground and stand up. By the time I beat him, several of adventurer's toes, one hand and his torso were either broken or otherwise unusable, and all it would have taken was a lucky shot to one-hit me.

Then I went and killed a roc.

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »

My favorite adventurer so far, Galir Obinuce went to one of the abandoned forts where there are animals everywhere. There were tons of lions and rhinos. Almost all of my companions died, but I managed to save one just before he died. I went near to the door of the castle, and unfortunately there were like eight rhinos and five lions hidden right near there. I went near it, and got my ass kicked quite badly. I managed to crawl away, and the rhinos and lions stayed there, oddly. While crawling away, I gave into pain. A sole lion walked up and began pounding on me. I almost died... but then the guy I saved crawled over. He attacked the lion, and severely wounded it, but it killed him anyhow. Almost as soon as he died, I woke up, and then the lion ran away because it was in a worse state than I was. I crawled to the door, but, funnily enough, there were two rhinos on the little entrance hall area. I got a couple rocks and threw them at them, until both fell unconscious. I came in and killed them, then went to the currently uninhabited lord's hall. Inside, I rested until dawn (or at least was going to). Lions and a rhino woke me up. I was mostly healed anyway, so I attacked the lions and killed them. The rhino was up against the door, so I threw some of those rocks I had left over. It was knocked unconscious, and I killed it. Then, I left for the town nearest. I recruited some people, and eventually became a legendary swordsman. This character is still adventuring to this day, and kicking ass as well, if I do say so myself.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »

Once I was fighting a night monster.
It was all going good, when all of a sudden it starts dominating me.
I thought "And another adventurer dies."
When suddenly it attacks my bowman companion.
I desperately slashed it, and I managed to bisect it.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: [1] 2