Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HUGE, randomly thawing plains of ice. (FPS bomb)  (Read 1121 times)

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
HUGE, randomly thawing plains of ice. (FPS bomb)
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:04:36 pm »

So, I'm trekking my adventurer out to my last fortress. Well, this fortress happens to be on an uninhabited island, and crossing the ocean to get to that island is absolutely infuriating, and here is why: There are massive plains of ice out there. "But, Byttingen, in cold temperatures, water freezes." Well, not only is this ice not in a cold climate, it's also randomly thawing in MASSIVE chunks, whereupon the entire water level decreases by one z-level generating massive fogbanks that just nuke my FPS and load times.

BIG PICTURE
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:07:50 pm by Byttingen »

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE, randomly thawing plains of ice. (FPS bomb)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »

Traveling along the oceans is very buggy and unsafe. It's very common to get entombed in ice because of these bugs when traveling across a frozen ocean/glacier. Had one such accident once :)

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:19:48 am »

So its like the cave-in-to-the-caverns bug, but at sea.....

Interesting. Most intriguing indeed.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 05:01:23 am »

Traveling along the oceans is very buggy and unsafe. It's very common to get entombed in ice because of these bugs when traveling across a frozen ocean/glacier. Had one such accident once :)
Being frozen in a solid block of ice isn't a bug, though OP's sudden sea level decreasing with fog everywhere looks like one, probably somehow relating to the glacier not being where it should be. I'd just say that OP is lucky he hasn't frozen to death, yet.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 07:50:43 am »

It'll refreeze soon and turn into a deadly glacier.

Deadly glaciers won't stop growing until they reach places where it's too hot for them to grow. They WILL kill you.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

david1joseph

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:59 am »

Traveling along the oceans is very buggy and unsafe.But it sounds interesting will surely try.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:07 am »

Traveling along the oceans is very buggy and unsafe.But it sounds interesting will surely try.
A spambot made a post that was almost perfect!

THE END IS NEAR!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!