Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Civilization to Play

Grigori (Screw the gods!)
- 6 (17.1%)
Calabim (Immortal vampire lords)
- 2 (5.7%)
Sheaim/Infernal (Hell yeah! *Gets hit for the pun*)
- 3 (8.6%)
Luchuirp (Magic dwarves who live above ground and magic stuff to save labor)
- 5 (14.3%)
Balseraphs (Why so serious?)
- 3 (8.6%)
Illians (Let's go back to the ice age!)
- 15 (42.9%)
Other (Specifiy)
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play  (Read 17457 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:51:19 pm »

Yeah, high difficulties just give the AI mad hax. (Although at least the Civ series is nice enough to tell you that the AI gets mad hax!) Pick a difficulty you can plausibly win, bearing in mind you'll probably be getting some crazy, impractical advice from the forums.  ;)

Standard speed and a decently-large map would also be good. Standard speed because otherwise it'll probably start dragging, and large map for lots of interesting opportunities to expand/meet new civs/etc, of course limited by whatever your computer can handle.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:55:52 pm »

I generally play on huge, in marathon, so I assume my computer should be able to handle any map the forum chooses without problem.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 12:56:40 pm »

Don't play on an overly large map. Play at the size the game recommends for 5 opposing civs.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »

Oh, and before I forget, what's HEWDGE MAPPP?
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 01:01:51 pm »

Sheaim. I loved those guys, their portals are hillariously fun. And dear god (hah) bringing the daemons into the world is just plain funny.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 01:03:41 pm »

Oh man, I *love* FFH2. I hardly ever play vanilla Civ4 anymore, just FFH2.

I've played with every single civ, but so far I've only beaten it with a handful (Bannor, Grigori, Elohim, Ljosalfar and Balseraph, I think)

Sheaim can be very fun, because you wind up with an army of random assorted monsters once those summoning gates get built. And as the world goes to Hell, you get stronger.

My favorites these days are the Amurites (trying to go for a Tower of Mastery win), Lanun (paired with Octopus Overlords and a water-rich map, you can be quite powerful), Ljosalfar (cover the world in forest and influence, and then use your World Spell to summon seventeen metric f**ktons of Treants to finish off the remaining enemies), and Clan of Embers on a "Terra" map (where everbody starts in the "Old World" and races to discover and settle the "New World" full of barbarians. You're at a research disadvantage, but if you can level up Rantine bigtime and put him on a boat to the New World, he can go from city to city converting them and giving you an empire out of nothing)

The only ones that are somewhat boring are the Sidar (although they got a bit more interesting in the final update or two, with some of their "divided soul" abilities), the Malakim (there's just not enough desert for their bonuses to be of use, although with the addition of the Overcouncil, they suddenly became a lot more interesting in terms of going for a diplo victory), the Doviello, and the Hippus. Even those, I think could be fun if I just figured out how to use them properly.

But my vote is going to be for the Khazad. Why? Because THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!  :D

Plus, you have little to worry about in the way of magic, and religion really isn't their thing (Yes, they would do well to adopt the Runes, but the Luchuirp are more geared for being religious dwarves). Khazad strategy is straightforward: Build a few cities with lots of hills and/or trade resources around them, and mine the shit out of them. Build up defenses, make money hand over fist, stay out of wars as much as possible, and build up doomstacks. Once you've got cannons and some assorted higher-level units, open your gates and unleash the dwarven war machine on anyone nearby.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »

For the record, I also suggest that you ensure that all of the civilizations on the poll are in your game. That way, we can have insane cultists trying to turn the world into hell while other insane cultists try to turn the world to ice while godless humans don't give a fuck and rampage as vampire lords eat everyone.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:39:53 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 01:18:34 am »

Actually it's not meant to help even them. Even the leadership of Sheaim knows that winning means death of them - one just cooperates out of fear and for the second one this is the only way to suicide.

But they are the only ones who at least arn't outright disadvantaged by it... and can even get a new civ from doing so.

I just like the races that do mass world conversions but to my knowledge only two are really strongly supported by it.

Also Fall from Heaven the first was also a Civ 4 mod. The difference is the expansions. I think... I may be confused if the latest Civ isn't Civ 5
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:23:03 am by Neonivek »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 01:27:18 am »

FfH1 was a scenario for Civ4. It was very simple and had like 3 or 4 races or something. It was on a fixed map and I think was story based.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 01:29:24 am »

Illian Temples of the Hand generate frost around them. I dont think any of the Illian projects freezes the world overall, though.

Fall from heaven 1 is a mod for vanilla Civ IV (instead of beyond the sword)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 03:04:36 am »

I guess I was mistaken.

I thought there was a race/faction that's goal was basically to force the world back into the ice age (outside of their story mine you).

So I guess only one starting faction has a world transforming goal then.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:10:11 am by Neonivek »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:51 am »

I guess I was mistaken.

I thought there was a race/faction that's goal was basically to force the world back into the ice age (outside of their story mine you).

So I guess only one starting faction has a world transforming goal then.

The Illians do that in a sense.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:44 am »

I'll try to start, if college allows me this coming week, ideally tomorrow, or at most, if everything goes wrong, Friday. I'll lock the poll when I start, so if you haven't voted yet, do so before I do so.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 08:01:58 am »

Illian Temples of the Hand generate frost around them. I dont think any of the Illian projects freezes the world overall, though.
Enacting The Deepening will cool the world down signifigantly, but not enough to bring back the Age of Ice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 10:15:31 am »

HEWDGE MAPPP means Huge Map Size, of course!  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5