Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Civilization to Play

Grigori (Screw the gods!)
- 6 (17.1%)
Calabim (Immortal vampire lords)
- 2 (5.7%)
Sheaim/Infernal (Hell yeah! *Gets hit for the pun*)
- 3 (8.6%)
Luchuirp (Magic dwarves who live above ground and magic stuff to save labor)
- 5 (14.3%)
Balseraphs (Why so serious?)
- 3 (8.6%)
Illians (Let's go back to the ice age!)
- 15 (42.9%)
Other (Specifiy)
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play  (Read 17453 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 11:27:58 am »

Illian Temples of the Hand generate frost around them. I dont think any of the Illian projects freezes the world overall, though.
Enacting The Deepening will cool the world down signifigantly, but not enough to bring back the Age of Ice.
Plus your Priests of Winter can cast blizzards about them, Drifa the White Dragon creates tundra/ice around her IIRC, and if you ever get to Auric Ascended I think he leaves ice behind wherever he walks. Takes a bit more proactive approach, but you can certainly turn the world to tundra/snow if not ice.

Just once I'd like to see a game where the Illians and the Infernals are the two dominant powers, and everyone is caught in between trying to figure out if they'd rather burn or freeze.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 12:12:10 pm »

Unfortunately you would have to set up the Infernals yourself.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

Start a hot-seat game and play the Illians AND Infernals. As a lets play. Time it so that the two factions start the world-conversion process at the same time.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »

Start a hot-seat game and play the Illians AND Infernals. As a lets play. Time it so that the two factions start the world-conversion process at the same time.

This would be quite... hard... You see, the conversion to hell is not controlled by the Infernals, but by the Armageddon counter, which all civilizations can influence (admittedly the Infernals can raise it pretty easily, just by playing normally without looking much at it, and it's generally easier to raise than to reduce it), so it's extremely hard to have this level of fine control over it, and it's pretty gradual, at first hell terrain appearing the lands of civs with Ashen Veil lands, then as the counter increases, to other evil players, then to unowned lands, and then to neutral lands, with the good guys never getting hell terrain. Plus when it gets high enough there are some extra effects, but I never had the experience with Armageddon counters over 30-40.

That said, I could set a hotseat with Illians and Sheiams (or pretty much any of the more intellectual evil civilizations, to summon the Infernals)
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 05:22:04 pm »

It really doesn't make sense to me that good civilizations never get hellscaped. It should obviously be high on the AC (90 or so), but it never happening while good civs are still around really ruins the "world has become hell" image.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 05:54:54 pm »

It really doesn't make sense to me that good civilizations never get hellscaped. It should obviously be high on the AC (90 or so), but it never happening while good civs are still around really ruins the "world has become hell" image.

It makes sense if you know some of the "good" units who actually have the ability, just by existing, to lower the world corruption rating.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had the ability to stave off corruption at least within their own boarders.

Also I thought you couldn't start as the infernals... you had to make them as another race... or am I thinking of something that happens after the infernals that I am trying not to say because I am afraid of spoilers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 05:58:16 pm »

As far as I know, the Infernals have to be summoned by the Ashen Veil, an act that tends to screw both the summoners and everyone else in the world over. Since, you know, you just
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 06:18:56 pm »

As far as I know, the Infernals have to be summoned by the Ashen Veil, an act that tends to screw both the summoners and everyone else in the world over. Since, you know, you just
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, to what I've seem, he does not actually get all that cities, just a starting one plus settler (or two settlers, I'm not really sure). Their world spell, once they have the tech, can take control of one single extra ashen veil city, but that doesn't make much difference usually. It pretty much screws up everybody but themselves (and the player, if he chooses to abandon his civ to play the Infernals, but in this case it's better to see if you can talk to him in the between turns and give everything you can to him :P ), but as summoning him is a side effect of researching a very powerful tech for ashen veil, it's hard not to do so.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 01:17:57 am »

Due to college I'm going to postpone the start of the LP a few more days.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 05:26:47 am »

this thread inspired me to play Illians... so I think you should try them too. Lets turn the world into ice!

the thing that was most different compared to my usual game was that you have to focus a lot on the military side of the game. Always keep in mind that soon or later, you will get lots of people extremely angry at you.

Also, after Auric ascends you must be careful to avoid getting him killed by the godslayer. while almost invulnerable  against normal units, the godslayer sword gives an insane bonus against gods.
I don't know where when and how it spawns, but I am probably going to find out soon. my bet is that it is found in letum frigus.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2011, 05:44:35 am »

According to wiki, the strongest player is awarded the sword, most likely it just appears at the capital. Apparently, it kills Auric even if the unit holding it loses the battle.

And now, for something completely different: you know those random events that grant one of your regular units the hero promotion? I had this trigger for a worker unit last time it happened.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:25 am »

OUCH!!! XD Could you give it any proms? I mean, Medic may be useful.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:46 pm »

Introducing Urst, Legendary Soapmaker!

Seriously, why not use the hero worker as a fighter?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »

Yeah, I wanted to make him into the hero of the Soviet Union, the initiator of the Stakhanovite movement. It would be even more fitting, as I was playing the Mechanos.
Alas, I was soon overrun by some aggroing AI.

As a side note, I'm not sure if workers have the "can only defend" tag. Still, no way of getting any combat promotions, and the "heroic strength/defence" is probably inaccessible as well.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:50 am »

C'mon, why Illians?
The ice age was over after the god of winter was beaten.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5