Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Civilization to Play

Grigori (Screw the gods!)
- 6 (17.1%)
Calabim (Immortal vampire lords)
- 2 (5.7%)
Sheaim/Infernal (Hell yeah! *Gets hit for the pun*)
- 3 (8.6%)
Luchuirp (Magic dwarves who live above ground and magic stuff to save labor)
- 5 (14.3%)
Balseraphs (Why so serious?)
- 3 (8.6%)
Illians (Let's go back to the ice age!)
- 15 (42.9%)
Other (Specifiy)
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play  (Read 17529 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »

So, I trust we'll be seeing a lot of Ice and Entropy with the Illians?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2011, 04:47:08 am »

So, I trust we'll be seeing a lot of Ice and Entropy with the Illians?

I certainly hope so.

I'm setting the new tentative start date for this Friday, after my tests in microeconomics and probability.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:46 am »

Playing a game as illians. I am sitting on the largest mass of occupied terrain, yet don't have to worry too much about guards because I'm fairly secure: the two accesses to my zone are barricaded by heavily guarded cities, and my arcane barges guard the seas - not that anyone has a navy worth a can of piss.

I'm kind of having lots of economic problems, though. And stupid Os-Gabella researched Infernal pact, which has dealt me a severe blow. I had Aqua Suceallus and the biggest population in the game, so it was not as bad as it could have been (others were hit worse), but still, it was painful.

I'm trying to enhace heavily my capital city. Already built star-compass in it, which should hurry things a bit. The idea is to fortify my two access cities further, build the draw, then switch to god-king and do ascension as fast as I can. Hopefully my two fortified cities will be able to hold back aggressors till I ascend. I worry about bassium though, because he is close and has some nasty strong units. I expect that adding more wizards and javelineers to the cities will help, though. I have a a couple of them able to summon ice elementals and/or Eineres.

As an addenum: oddly enough at present I have a cozy relationship with Bassium and Saphiel, and am at war with Clan of Embers and Os-Gabella. Since I fully intend to go for ascension, I don't expect this to last, though.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

a small suggestion for you: get as man vassals as you can, before finishing the draw.  other people will hate you, but they will soon be enemies anyway. And vassals stay loyal after you build the draw, which means they can take a few hits for you... even a couple turns can be a great help.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:47 pm »

Does perma allies also stay after building the draw?
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »

probably. I doubt there is anything that can break a permanent alliance. But I didn't test... I disabled them for that game, and I didn't want to summon basium ( although I kept that as a plan in case things started going badly)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

probably. I doubt there is anything that can break a permanent alliance. But I didn't test... I disabled them for that game, and I didn't want to summon basium ( although I kept that as a plan in case things started going badly)

I'm pretty sure that even if you were the one that summoned Basium, if you go Ashen Veil, he will declare war against you. Don't quote me on this though.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:55 am »

I'm pretty sure that even if you were the one that summoned Basium, if you go Ashen Veil, he will declare war against you. Don't quote me on this though.

Not sure about the final version, but at least in a couple of previous versions, the AI for Basium was...odd. I saw him have a Pleased attitude towards Hyborem, of all things. And at war with some third-party empire which was already at war with the Infernals. The "mutual military struggle" modifier was doing a good job of countering all the other natural enmities, it seems.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:07 am »

I changed the Kuriotates soundset to make it a bit more ominous. I mean, the devs might have intended the Kurios to be fluffy good, but I find the concept of a kid who is possessed by a dragon (and who apparently can shapeshift into the dragon late in the game) to lean on the creepy side.

I intend to try around a game with them. Maybe convert to council of Esus, maybe not. The hidden nationality units are nice, but it's limited ot scout-line units, and not really predictable.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 02:31:16 pm »

This Let's Play will start later tomorrow if I'm not too drunk. If I am, it'll start when I wake up tomorrow. But for now, Let's Drink With Friends. I'll edit the first post with links to the the "episode" posts as I make them.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 02:33:28 pm »

Will you ascend?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 02:34:10 pm »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:17 pm »

The game is starting now, huge Erebus map, normal speed, acient era, temperate climate (at least for start, let's fix that), medium sea level, 10 computers oponents, making sure the Sheaim (the devil worshipers), the Elohim (the militant "good" faction, following the order, a fanatical and extremely militant religion with focus on discipline and obedience), and a random neutral leader (just to have at least a neutral leader, instead of all good or all evil). I'll not enable permanent alliances (a change from my usual games), but I'll enable All Features, so I can show them all of. I would enable last days to increase urgency, but as I'm evil I would be extremely crippled by it, as I would be one of the first to suffer with hell terrain, and I don't worship the demons.

I'll be play Auric Ulvin, of the Illians, at noble difficulty because I hate cheating computers. I'll edit this post with the episode when I finish it.

Proper play:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Starting area, plus starting area with a little exploration and place where I'll put the town. Nothing much to say. Cold terrain is actually good for me, so no complains there, and the deer is nice. Without techs I'm not able to know if there's any metal around, so that's a big question. I have one scout and one warrior. I built one extra scout and one extra warrior, so I can explore more and have extra defenses against barbarians (a real, present and permanent threat in FoH2)
Tech. I'll start with crafting, go to ancient chants (for monuments, so I can get culture at a city I can possibly create.

Our present civic options. All of them are at a single type of option, so are mutually exclusive. We are using Natiohood, as it's the standard for Illians.

Exploration. You might notice I can see the good/neutral elves (the L-something. They're generally good with one neutral leader possibility. They're also imperialistic and ultra expansive. Expect them to be in one of the first places in points. Also, if you never played FoH2, you may find strange the amount of mountains there are around. The Erebus map (the standard map for the game) does tend to do so, creating walls of mountains. It so seems that my only way out is at that one square with a watch tower, at east, but it'll have to be confirmed with further exploration.

A little more exploration. Found one of the unique features. Odio's Prison. I'll see if I can transcribe (or if someone wants to do it for me I'll be more than grateful) the description, but on effects, it basically gives +25% combat to any unit near it (2-3 squares of distance max). Also found Raw Mana. Raw Mana is awesome, as it allow me to create a mana of my choice when I get the tech for it, which allows me to casts the spells of that school, with the proper unit and proper upgrades for that unit. Some kinds of mana also gives small general bonuses.

VOLCANO! We have struck magma! I don't think it have any real effect though, except maybe a small unrest penalty.

Tech! Nothing particularly important though. Starting Ancient Chants.

More exploration, plus killed the scout killed a wolf. Gave him hills promotion. Seems this way is closed.

Event. If I had order as state religion, I could start a golden age now. There's one event for most/all religions. So, unless you're playing Cassiel, you'll get yours some day. If you ARE playing Cassiel, tell the gods to screw a goat and go away. You are awesome, your adventurers are awesome, and you want all gods to [lost in translation] and [lost in translation], as they truly deserve for screwing with the mortal races.

More exploration, I seem to have found the way out my mountain cage. Also, nice a village. The previous two I had found only had a small handful of gold, so I didn't care to call attention to them, but who knows what this might brings.

They gave me a tech, nice! Or to be precise, it would be very nice if I were not about 2 freaking turns from completing it myself. Still, saved me a couple turns. Going to farming, because food is good.

Oops, lost a scout to a bear.

Oops, lost another scout to another bear. Also, more exploration. It seems there's only a single way out the mountain valley we're in.

A view of known resources, a view of our influence range, and a general view of the map, with the overall way out (as we know till now), and where the elven influence range seems to be, both marked.

The game will be picking up speed with more turns, and more options will be given, but for now: Suggestions of names for the Capital, and future cities? Any other suggestion you want to make? If no one makes a good point (for now I'll try to play my best (which is not actually very good). I'll surrender to your will a little later in the game, after we're established and I don't have to take and edit over 40 screen shots for the episode.

On more technical aspects, is the image size and quality good enough? If not, should they be bigger, smaller, just change quality, don't crop them? Is photobucket a decent enough host, or should I use another? Anything else I should consider?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:40:53 pm by Felius »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59:50 am »

So, do the elves need to go through you in order to leave the mountain range area, or do they have their own exit?

It looks like they may have to kill you to expand, if they don't have their own exit.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2011, 08:47:42 am »

So, do the elves need to go through you in order to leave the mountain range area, or do they have their own exit?

It looks like they may have to kill you to expand, if they don't have their own exit.
They're beyond the mountain range. I might be able to talk with them when their influence range expands, but we can't move units to each others territory as of now. There's probably a connection further in the way out I've pointed, so no need of fighting them yet.

This terrain is pretty good defensively, so we're pretty good if we want to ascend?

What would be a good intended update rate?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5