Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Civilization to Play

Grigori (Screw the gods!)
- 6 (17.1%)
Calabim (Immortal vampire lords)
- 2 (5.7%)
Sheaim/Infernal (Hell yeah! *Gets hit for the pun*)
- 3 (8.6%)
Luchuirp (Magic dwarves who live above ground and magic stuff to save labor)
- 5 (14.3%)
Balseraphs (Why so serious?)
- 3 (8.6%)
Illians (Let's go back to the ice age!)
- 15 (42.9%)
Other (Specifiy)
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play  (Read 17446 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:28:18 pm »

So, I want to start a let's play, and decided to do the Fall from Heaven mod for Civilization IV. Suggestions?

Going on more technical questions:

What race does the forum mind wishes me to play? I mostly play Grigori (sticking it to the so called gods all the way through. :P ), although my most recent game was Kuriotates, and I've been thinking of trying my hand at the Sheaim going to infernal as soon as I can summon them, to try a radically different play style, although I don't really oppose to any race you might want me to play.

What speed rating should I play? I mostly play marathon in my single player games, but even without having to consult the forum mind and take, format and upload screen shots, it can take a really long time to play out, with the added problem that it's common to have long periods of times that nothing big goes around (specially in the early game. "Ok, let's build a settler to build my second city. What do you mean it's going to take 60 turns?"). On the other hand, I find that in faster ratings the game becomes just a race to the end of the tech line before any decent conflict takes place, specially in bigger maps, where sometimes, having just researched and built a new unit, by the time it actually reaches the enemy it's one or two generations outdated and completely obsolete.

And speaking of that, what map size and special settings should I put?

I'll write something more in deep about the civilizations and options later, but for now, I'll leave you with the wiki for the mod: http://fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Edit: Index:

Episode 1: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84087.msg2286083#msg2286083
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:41:53 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:05 pm »

I quite like the look of the Luchuirp, the Dwarven Golem Crafters. All of the races look interesting, though.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »

I like the idea of a decadant vampire society ruled by ageless lords who farm their human subjects like cattle, so I vote Calabim. Balseraphs are a good second, as they're sort of what it would be like if Mardi Gras was evil and happened every day across an entire nation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

I discovered this three weeks ago, almost was my ruination because I spent one of my holiday weeks playing this instead of studying. Very addictive.

I usually go for Balseraphs/Perpentarch or Calabim/Flauros, which are my all around favorites. I did a test-run with Illian and found them quite interesting, too. The Sidar I find to be quite boring. I want to test Sheiam and the guys with the king who is a kid possesed by a dragon.

Edit: Ninjaed
I like the idea of a decadant vampire society ruled by ageless lords who farm their human subjects like cattle, so I vote Calabim. Balseraphs are a good second, as they're sort of what it would be like if Mardi Gras was evil and happened every day across an entire nation.
I have the same preferences only the other way around. I like the idea of the Balseraph court with a lot of nobles dressing in various mottley trying to appease the whims of their crazy liege. (The scenes at Nero's court in Quo Vadis come to mind)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:46:54 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:09:26 pm »

I discovered this three weeks ago, almost was my ruination because I spent one of my holiday weeks playing this instead of studying. Very addictive.

I usually go for Balseraphs/Perpentarch or Calabim/Flauros, which are my all around favorites. I did a test-run with Illian and found them quite interesting, too. The Sidar I find to be quite boring. I want to test Sheiam and the guys with the king who is a kid possesed by a dragon.

Edit: Ninjaed
I have the same preferences only the other way around. I like the idea of the Balseraph court with a lot of nobles dressing in various mottley trying to appease the whims of their crazy liege. (The scenes at Nero's court in Quo Vadis come to mind)

I personally imagine the Balseraph as what would happen with a nation if it were ruled by the joker.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:00 pm »

Frankly I want to see the world change... I want to see it be plunged into the depths of hell but unfortunately only ONE side actually benefits from this.

So can you play them? heck can you play Fall from heaven 2?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:31:24 pm »

You make it sounds like turning the world into hell is supposed to help people who aren't daemons/daemon worshipers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 06:23:40 am »

Actually it's not meant to help even them. Even the leadership of Sheaim knows that winning means death of them - one just cooperates out of fear and for the second one this is the only way to suicide.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 06:58:51 am »

heck can you play Fall from heaven 2?
This is Fall from heaven 2. Fall from heaven 1 is a mod for CIV III, if I recall correctly.

Also, Illians change the world as well - into ice. Unless it's something only added in one of the modmods that I used to play.
Speaking of which, I'd highly recommend playing with those modmods - Orbis or Master of Mana. These seem much more fun than the vanilla FFH.

Anyway, I'm putting my vote for Illians - let's plunge the world into eternal winter.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:56:26 am »

My vote goes for Illians too.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

IIRC, one of the Ilian only wonders halves the popualtion in all your cities and forces everyone to declare war on you. But you get this OOOOOBER unit and the world starts turning to ice. :D

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:33 pm »

Added poll for civilization.

I also want input on game speed and map size folks.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 12:35:22 pm »

Normal speed, standard map, immortal difficulty - I'd rather see this finish too early than drag on forever.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »

Normal speed, HEWDGE MAPPP, difficulty you feel comfortable with.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 12:47:51 pm »

Normal speed, standard map, immortal difficulty - I'd rather see this finish too early than drag on forever.

Do know that I'm really not that good of a player. I can handle the noble difficulty without much trouble (as long something such as Acheron spawning just on my only and single way out of a mountain pocket), but I fear that on immortal the game might go extremely fast with my demise. Also, I kinda dislike cheating computers. That said, I'll leave the ultimate decision for the forum mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5