Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Civilization to Play

Grigori (Screw the gods!)
- 6 (17.1%)
Calabim (Immortal vampire lords)
- 2 (5.7%)
Sheaim/Infernal (Hell yeah! *Gets hit for the pun*)
- 3 (8.6%)
Luchuirp (Magic dwarves who live above ground and magic stuff to save labor)
- 5 (14.3%)
Balseraphs (Why so serious?)
- 3 (8.6%)
Illians (Let's go back to the ice age!)
- 15 (42.9%)
Other (Specifiy)
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play  (Read 17450 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: CIV IV - Fall from Heaven Let's Play
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2011, 09:21:39 am »

Just an FYI, I think you have the Elohim confused with the Bannor. The Bannor are the militant, rigid lawful good guys. The Elohim are the sort of diplomatic neutral good guys (whose main power is that they can conquer an enemy city and continue to produce the other faction's units there). Sheaim and Elohim in a game together can get interesting because each side has a ritual they can build (repeatedly) to raise or lower the Armageddon Counter.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »

Just an FYI, I think you have the Elohim confused with the Bannor. The Bannor are the militant, rigid lawful good guys. The Elohim are the sort of diplomatic neutral good guys (whose main power is that they can conquer an enemy city and continue to produce the other faction's units there). Sheaim and Elohim in a game together can get interesting because each side has a ritual they can build (repeatedly) to raise or lower the Armageddon Counter.
I think I did indeed got the two confused when describing them.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »

Re: organizational stuff.
-the pics are o.k.
-update rate: whatever you like best. Post an update whenever you've got some interesting stuff to report.
I'd say a bit less image-heavy? Maybe not every minor event deserves more than a brief mention, and not every unit lost needs it's resting place documented, etc. It's just my opinion though.
The maps showing the extent of our dominion at the end of an update is a great idea.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:36 pm »

I played more turns and took more pictures to be edited later.

I also have reached a conclusion: I suck. I'm dead last place points, two cities while most others have 3-5, lagging behind the tech race so bad it's not even funny. I like playing the underdog but this is kinda ridiculous.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »

Maybe restart / try again? It doesn't seem like you'd lose much in terms of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »

Do not fret! You can do it! Don't give up hope! Losing is fun!

Seriously, you don't need to be the biggest and strongest nation to be able to kick ass in FfH.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2011, 05:51:10 pm »

You need to research religious tech when playing as Illians. Tundra sucks for you as much as for the other nations, only the ice boosts your farming output. You need Temples of the Hand built quick to be able to do anything productive with this nation.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:47 pm »

Do not fret! You can do it! Don't give up hope! Losing is fun!

Seriously, you don't need to be the biggest and strongest nation to be able to kick ass in FfH.

How about being the weakest? With hunting researched I've explored most of the map using a combination of open border treats and hawks, with a couple map trades. I can say with certainity, I'm the weakest civilization by far in the game right now.  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2011, 02:22:57 am »

Usually you can catch the computer as long as you don't fall too far behind.

Placement in the early game is meaningless.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2011, 04:48:25 am »

The scoreboard means nothing. I usually play on Deity, and I am almost on the last place during the whole game, yet proper usage of promotions, magic an heroes makes me a victor in the end :).

P.S. You cannot technically lose on Noble difficulty. Just build a lot javeleeners, station them in cities, support them with priests of winter and go for ascencion. Eventually you will win.

P.P.S. As illians, do not build temples of the hand in cities with good tiles. Snow, even for illians, sucks. Do it only where you have too much tundra.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:56:25 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:34 am »

Snow, even for illians, sucks

Really?  :-\

You would think they would mitigate it quite well.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:03 am »

Totally sucks. Just two food, and no commerce on rivers. Just think about it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44:30 pm »

Totally sucks. Just two food, and no commerce on rivers. Just think about it :).
Now, this is how it was done in Orbis, so it might not apply here, but in that modmod you could build farms on ice when playing as Illians.

Actually, I'd strongly recommend you to try Orbis(Master of Mana is not bad too, but I've only played a couple short games with this one) - the mechanics are tweaked in a way that makes the gameplay much more fitting the fantasy setting. The races are highly individualized, with a lot of additional unique abilities, there is more resources on the map(balanced my different requirements for e.g. city growth), cool fort mechanics(you can claim forts outside your borders, which then expand the borders around themselves), more interesting races etc. - it feels a lot more RPG'ish and IMO fun.
Illians specifically have the ability to turn their borders into ice by default, some of their units are invisible in the snow, have huge bonuses for fighting in snow/tundra, and they get a production bonus from tundras, making the new Ice Age a sensible goal to strive for.

Master of Mana is even more tweaked, with spell research, including battle spells and overland enchantements, completely different economy(you need to e.g. collect wood/stone/metal/leather etc. to equip your troops with better weapons and armour, you need to pay upkeep for city improvements and more), new optional game goals(kinda like huge quests) and probably more that I haven't found out yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2011, 12:07:56 am »

In vanilla FFH you can build farms on ice too. So yeah, I think it's sensible to build temples of the hand: Ice is good for you (as good as pastures). And bad for your foes, which means that any city you lose will be nigh-unusable for them.

I tried some of the FFH modmods but found most of the additions unsatisfying, so I've stuck to vanilla
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

The problem with ice is the lack of commerce and hammers. You do not need that much food, and I've already played all versions of all FFH2 modmods :P. Even plain grassland which is considered inferior to plains is better than snow.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]