Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disabling extinction of wild animals completely?  (Read 5923 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Disabling extinction of wild animals completely?
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:12:58 am »

So I've been playing around with a camp of dwarven hunters, in a heavily forested area of my world - however I am worried that the wild life will eventually run out leaving me with nothing but domestic animals, and crops.

Which is totally against everything this fort stands for!

So - is it possible to make wild animals infinitely respawnable so that they never go extinct, without having a badgersplosion on my embark? :-[
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling extinction of wild animals completely?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:36:34 am »

I think they must do this automatically, because I embarked on a 1x1 tile fort once, having all my dwarves be warriors (to test this very thing)

I killed maybe... 500 badgers... maybe more. (The dwarves were made of steel, so yes this was possible. lol)  They kept spawning in from the edges.

So I don't think you need to worry about extinction, unless you run out of animals on the whole world to randomly wander on your map.

It went like this:
Dragonfire -> groundhogs... all dead
Dragonfire -> Rhino's... dead
Dragonfire ->elephants... dead
Dragonfire->rhino's again
dragonfire->elephants
got tired of dragonfire, so they punched these groundhogs

These were entire waves wiped out, and then the next wave would be the same thing, or some other random critter.

Then again, I got tired of this after the 50th or so wave, so I might have actually made them all extinct eventually...

time for more !!SCIENCE!! I guess.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:39:26 am by kragnoth »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:45:58 am »

I think they must do this automatically, because I embarked on a 1x1 tile fort once, having all my dwarves be warriors (to test this very thing)

I killed maybe... 500 badgers... maybe more. (The dwarves were made of steel, so yes this was possible. lol)  They kept spawning in from the edges.

So I don't think you need to worry about extinction, unless you run out of animals on the whole world to randomly wander on your map.

It went like this:
Dragonfire -> groundhogs... all dead
Dragonfire -> Rhino's... dead
Dragonfire ->elephants... dead
Dragonfire->rhino's again
dragonfire->elephants
got tired of dragonfire, so they punched these groundhogs

These were entire waves wiped out, and then the next wave would be the same thing, or some other random critter.

Then again, I got tired of this after the 50th or so wave, so I might have actually made them all extinct eventually...

time for more !!SCIENCE!! I guess.

In what version have you done this ? My wild animals tend to get extinct after the fourth or fifth year, after enough hunting.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:58:57 am »

You need to increase population numbers. As soon as you kill the whole population of a biome, nothing will spawn there.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kragnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • !!noble!! is the most noble of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:10:42 am »

Guess I didn't kill enough badgers and rhino's then.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this was with a mod installed at the time like Genesis.

Sorry for the misinformation. :(

Well, misinformation can always be solved with !!MAGMA!!

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:31:15 am »

You need to increase population numbers. As soon as you kill the whole population of a biome, nothing will spawn there.

So if I edit the population numbers in an ongoing game, they will begin reappearing. (I'm starting to think that a memory editor would be a way of resetting the poplog)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 07:54:06 am »

No, it's a world-generation setting, you cannot change the existing world.

If you find a way to "reset" the world populations (which would require editing the save file), let us know. I am sure many of us would love to know that :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:31:56 am »

There is a way to prevent all of them from going extinct through gameplay.  Don't kill them all.  Animals appear from the map edge in groups.  The size of the group is determined by the [CLUSTER_NUMBER] tag in the raws.  Creatures will appear in numbers determined by [CLUSTER_NUMBER] even if there aren't that many creatures remaining in the local population.  If you always let at least one of each group escape, the local population of that creature will never go to zero, and you'll always get more groups.  This does require careful micromanagement of your hunters to make sure they don't kill every creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:55 am »

The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:15 am »

I'm sorry to necro this thread, but you can check and revive cavern populations by using DFhack's region-pops list and region-pops incr commands. Just thought I should add that.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0