Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This probably wont last very long...  (Read 1437 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
This probably wont last very long...
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:49:42 am »

So, my current embark has a "cavern" on it - i found this whilst travelling in adventure mode so didnt even investigate it. It turns out not to be a cavern. Instead on the north bank of my river I have several dozen each of Giant bats, large rats, giant rats, badgers, giant badgers and badger men. They seem to get on with each other. Thankfully the river keeps them away from me. More correctly, the numerous sey lamprey and carp keep them away, which are taking chunks out of any critter that comes too close. Well, all but the bats, who are constantly pestering my temporary pasture before running away from my dogs (not before they maim them a little, only to return once the vomiting stops). I have iron ore on my side of the river and a nice spot starting to be carved out, but I dont anticipate surviving very long. those bats will no doubt cause me problems, and whilst I am safe from the hordes of rodenty fun, my migratns are bound to spawn next to rodentville.
This is a blank sig.

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This probably wont last very long...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:57:49 am »

So, my current embark has a "cavern" on it - i found this whilst travelling in adventure mode so didnt even investigate it. It turns out not to be a cavern. Instead on the north bank of my river I have several dozen each of Giant bats, large rats, giant rats, badgers, giant badgers and badger men. They seem to get on with each other. Thankfully the river keeps them away from me. More correctly, the numerous sey lamprey and carp keep them away, which are taking chunks out of any critter that comes too close. Well, all but the bats, who are constantly pestering my temporary pasture before running away from my dogs (not before they maim them a little, only to return once the vomiting stops). I have iron ore on my side of the river and a nice spot starting to be carved out, but I dont anticipate surviving very long. those bats will no doubt cause me problems, and whilst I am safe from the hordes of rodenty fun, my migratns are bound to spawn next to rodentville.

You should probably get underground, build a military, dig under the rodents, build stairwell then pop out like an alien from some guy's stomach and kill them.

And who needs migrants? Migrants are idiots and supply wasters.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »

Training spears are usually enough to deal with these threats.  Anything unarmored is vulnerable to shaped pieces of wood.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:34 pm »

I habitually play an "everybody mines" embark, so im not too bothered about immediate threats other than the giant bats, who have killed many a dozen of my civilians going back several hundred forts. Thank god for the river keping the giant badgers away, even if this does mean carp.
This is a blank sig.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:22:24 pm »

Training spears are usually enough to deal with these threats.  Anything unarmored is vulnerable to shaped pieces of wood.
One could also invest in crossbows.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:52:19 pm »

There's no tunnel going down to the caverns? Yet there are cave creatures? Intresting, to say the least.

As mentioned above, crossbows are the solution if you want them dead.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 03:11:21 pm »

Academic in any case. The autumn caravan was bait enough to bring 15 or so bats down into my fort. After most of my citizens died, the place was nigh on unsustainable. Investigating the site with an adventurer showed there to be a cavern slightly to the north, of screen of my embark.
This is a blank sig.