Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: "Make Science!" - The Dwarf Fortress Space Pirate Mod (for 0.31.25)  (Read 20921 times)

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A mod that tries to combine space pirates (from the metroid series) and dwarf fortress.  Why hasn't this been done sooner?

current version: 0.51 (beta), based on a variant of pheobus's graphic set and DF 31.25

in this version:
-Playable space pirate race
-Luminoth race (playable in adventure mode)
-Ing race (like kobolds but actually a threat)
-galactic federation (humans that hate your guts and will probably siege you)
-Zoomers, Geemers, Skree, and Kihunters (now with their own spites!)
-Megabeasts like ridley, samus, quadraxis crocomire, thardus, and mother brain
-over a dozen new weapons, armors, and ammo types
-A few metroid-themed metals like radion, maldium, and cordite, as well as two types of phazon and its alloy.
-Some metroid themed plants, foods, and toys.
-A couple of metroid types: zebes (just called "metroid"), tallon (weaker than zebes, more long-lived), hunter (oh god why are they so strong), fission (tougher, breed like crazy), and phazon (may or may not be broken, i'm not sure yet, hangs around the z level where you SHOULD get phazon)  these now have sprites too.
-tamable robots like the dreaded ingsmasher.  you can bring some with you from the get go, like the cyborg zebesian or the "jolly roger" drone.  the jolly roger drone has three subtypes, the standard "jolly roger" which is fast, the "incinerator" which has a flamethrower, and the "sentry" which is a bit tougher and has a more powerful melee attack.

download - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4339

comments on bugs, balancing, and anything else you'd like to see added in would be great.

heres the new items/materials added

copper <  iron < cordite < denzium < bronze < bismuth-bronze < radion < talloric alloy< steel <   maldium < bendezium < phazon < red phazon <<<< adamantium < phazite

power scythe -> longer, deadler short sword
large power scythe -> modified longsword
hammerfist -> hammer
jagged spear -> spear

claw blaster > sharpened blaster in terms of firepower (both fire rounds), but the sharpened blaster is better for melee and uses the sword skill.  claw blaster uses grasp strike or wrestling up close.

heavy cannon and missile launchers are about the same strength when the heavy cannon shoots heavy rounds and the missile launcher shoots super missiles, but the missile launcher can also shoot weaker missiles that cost less to make.  both do significant blunt damage, while normal rounds do piercing damage.  the heavy cannon and the missile launcher, while better at ranged combat than the blasters, are terrible in close combat.

in terms of increasing protection
light carapiece < tempered carapiece < power armor
pincer wraps < pincer guards < claw gauntlets
pirate trooper cap < pirate full helm < commando helm
leggings < banded leggings < greaves
portable battle shield < shield < hazard shield
arched boots <  two toed war boots < arched sabatons
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:09:10 pm by gauld »

Rameus76

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: PIRATE FORTRESS MOD (for 0.31.25)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »

I love the metroid music you have put in the game, I hope you add more.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »

In my game, the Elves are at war with the Space Pirates.  Arr, bring them on!

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

Troll pets? Oh dear.

And thus the story of The Mother of Brains begins, dubbing their new home, Tubeconstruct.
(Self destruct lever will be without a question built.)

EDIT:
Space pirates cannot make rock pots ): and next boxes and other crafts. Same for wood.
So far, so lovely though. "It's already been three hours?"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:18:05 pm by IcarusOne »

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:34:48 pm »

sorry about that, i was working with DF .18 and when i ported it up to .25 and completely forgot about the new industries added...

it'll be fixed in the next release which will be out sometime this weekend.  some more megabeasts will be added in as well as a couple more metroid species

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »

Neato!

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

Aaaaaand,

[ACTIVE_SEASON:<seasons>] In entity_pirate might be causing the pirate caravans to come every season, so i removed them all but summer. Will check if the caravans stop coming every season.

Getting the trade agreement from the previous season ready after the next caravan arrived was kind of funny to be honest. Silly incompetent pirates!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:24:06 pm »

Are there plans to make the pirates different than vanilla dwarves?

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:23 pm »

Are there plans to make the pirates different than vanilla dwarves?
well, besides being evil identities, they're planned to get their own weapons and armors like claw blasters, and reactions and buildings like science chambers and phazon-based reactions for nicer armor than can just be crafted... that won't be for a while, though, as right now i haven't the slightest clue on how to make advanced reactions or workstations.

they should already reproduce at a much more rapid rate and should be significantly weaker to blunt attacks, if i coded them right.  also they're perfectly fine with all sorts of evil shennanigans like eating ones own race or torture.   

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 05:36:36 am »

The exoskeletons make them weaker to blunt attacks? Figures. Any special advantage to the pincers, besides being awsome?

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »

The exoskeletons make them weaker to blunt attacks? Figures. Any special advantage to the pincers, besides being awsome?
well, ive noticed that they win more often against dwarves in unarmed fights, but i'm not sure if this is just luck or not.  probably going to keep it that way so wrestling isn't as useless as it is right now in vanilla

also, i've addressed the tool and caravan bugs and added in a few more creatures
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:41:38 pm by gauld »

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »

Time for more testing then!

PS: a fisherpirate just crushed a carp's skull with his right pincer. I'm in love.

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 09:20:37 am »

This mod makes me wonder if there's a way to get space pirates taken over by megabeasts the same way goblins and humans get taken over by demons. In particular, if it's possible to do so with a pre-defined leadership slot (unlikely, sadly) or only with VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL

gauld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:23:40 pm »

This mod makes me wonder if there's a way to get space pirates taken over by megabeasts the same way goblins and humans get taken over by demons. In particular, if it's possible to do so with a pre-defined leadership slot (unlikely, sadly) or only with VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL
i dont know if its the same thing, but i gave mother brain the "power" and "intelligent" tags.  i'll see if i can make that work, though. 

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 01:44:21 pm »

do geemers and zoomers lay eggs? haven't seen them reproduce. This will be kind of necessary seeing how quickly they die of old age compared to dogs and cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5