Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 168040 times)

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #465 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:46 am »

Try hemp instead of cotton for making fabrics. And narcotics, if you were so inclined.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 18, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »

I haven't found anybody around who sells hemp. I suspect I'd have to go exploring a bit more to find someone who does. Pretty much the entirety of the map I've explored is dominated by the zealots who have probably banned hemp, and the Shek seem to hate me just for being human so I'm a bit wary about going anywhere near them. The hivers seemed like chill kinda of people, maybe I'll look into them since they're not too far away.

As much as I don't like the zealots (my first interaction with them was them stabbing me in the gut for saying I wasn't one of them, probably shouldn't have been too surprised by that) they're the closest faction I can trade with aside from the outcasts who simply occupy two 'bars' (the Hub and "rebel shack") which don't sell specialized stuff.

Does hemp grow in arid climate? The climate I'm at is 10% green and 100% arid (as odd as that math is).

E: Has anyone tried doing anything involving livestock? I noticed that there was some for sale at some of the zealot farms, and oddly enough there was even a bonedog for sale.
Also, has anyone found where to get blueprints for toppers? I've found places that sell blueprints to sabers and naginatas and katanas etc. but haven't seen toppers yet. (Nevermind, just looked at the wiki and toppers are the only weapon without blueprints available yet.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:43:18 pm by OzyTheSage »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 18, 2016, 10:10:29 pm »

You haven't been to the swamp? o.O Just south of The Hub (my home base) is the Swamp - the river delta between the Hub and the Holy Nation. Watch out for blood spiders and those pesky ninjas... (South of the river is a rock. Go there. The Swamp Villages are all unique and have their own populations - they sell hemp and hashish, but be very careful carrying that stuff...)

That big rock formation in the center of the green bowl? A very nice city with 6-7 shops, 2 bars, TONS of units-for-hire (I hired 6 uniques there, free of charge.), oh, and half a dozen factions who will constantly get into fights with each other. At least one of which you can join.

How do you think I got my tier-3 armor? ;)
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 18, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »

Noice. Be sure to use that sneak to Stealth KO some Mine Guards and put them on the cages they are supposed to be guarding.
It might take a few quick loads to do perfectly, but on the next day the remaining guards will treat them like prisoners and put them to work. When fighting happens, a lot of confusion goes on.

I bumped into this a few months ago, so I'm not sure if it still works, but it's a nice 'easter egg-like' feature.  :P

*Tries to regain composure from laughing* I will have to try this!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 18, 2016, 11:47:55 pm »

Wow, a lot's changed since the last time I played this. Prospecting's new, you can't build mines for your guys to work at anymore, research requires books, fertility affects crops (except I'm at a 100 fertility area in this save and it still won't let me plant anything here) and lastly, random animals attack me as they pass by.

So....has anyone found a good base location? I'm ideally looking for a somewhat flat area with all resources within shooting distance.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 19, 2016, 12:08:35 am »

I've been down to the swamp... sort of. I saw the big green area on the map and figured it looked like it could be a nice place. Then I saw the giant scary trees and decided not to go in there in case there's nasty stuff. Went west instead and encountered nasty stuff, so I said screw it. I'll come back once I get more skilled. Right now I'm building up money to get an actual adventure party of sorts ready to go out while I have people back at base making stuff.

So....has anyone found a good base location? I'm ideally looking for a somewhat flat area with all resources within shooting distance.
The plateau I mentioned in a recent post seems pretty nice. You can only get at it from one side so it's probably pretty easy to defend, and I haven't been harassed by bandits or animals. The problem is that it's arid so growing stuff can be a pain, and the only copper resources around are 40% 'quality' and are off the plateau so you'll have to do a bit of hauling to get it. It's also a good distance away from most proper towns, which isn't surprising given that it's on the 'border zone'. I haven't tried setting up a proper shop of any sort so I don't know if that will attract unwanted attention or not. It's pretty close to the Hub so you can run there to sell stuff, but you have to manually move people if you want them to take the shorter path over the hill instead of the roundabout way down the cliff.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 19, 2016, 02:35:41 am »

So does trading work yet regarding your own base? If you set up a shop do caravans come there to trade automatically and stuff? Can you attract immigrants?

Been a while since I played. Back then I actually liked to set the base in an area plagued by the weakest bandits; their occasional raids were a nice source of exp and income.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #472 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:32 pm »

So this game has come a long way in the last few years. I haven't played it since February of 2016, so I started fresh instead of importing my squad of super soldiers. The things I've noticed so far:

The map area has tripled since I last played with them working on the other quarter of the map. It feels much more alive - way more places to explore and there seems to even be faction diplomacy now and factions interacting with your base.

You can lose limbs now, and replace them with robotic limbs. I haven't lost any limbs yet, but the higher end ones are actually way better than your real limbs - more health and better stats. But they are very expensive, and you have to carry expensive repair kits to repair them. The cheapo replacement limbs let you function, but aren't very good.

The stealth and theft system has been fleshed out a lot. You can now KO people from stealth and rob them. Kidnap people. Rob shops. Etc. For instance, I've been playing as a very successful thief this run. I just went into a weapon shop, KOd the guard near the door, KOd the one near the safe, and looted the place. Then another one woke up from upstairs while I was unlocking the safe, but I knocked him out as he walked down the steps. I left with two small backpacks and inventories completely full of expensive weapons and blueprints and ran to a waystation to unload the stolen merchandise (meanwhile the rest of my little squad was chilling at my in-town base the next city over crafting stuff).

You can do martial arts now. I trained it up a little and am able to defend myself from even when going weaponless (extra slot for stolen loot!). While I was training (using a few kidnapped bandits locked in a house with me) I was literally kicking and punching their limbs off. Eventually the four bandits I was training on were crippled and refused to get up anymore after I kicked one of their legs off. One especially hardcore bandit fought until both his arms were gone, then proceeded to try and headbutt me until I kicked his leg off. Then he just kind of flopped around on the ground, still hostile to me and triggering counterattack but not actually making any attacks.

Slavery is fleshed out now. You can buy slaves (which frees them, but they usually join you unless you're the one who put them there). You can sell slaves - squad members or kidnapped people. You can be enslaved (roaming slavers will jump you if they outnumber you) and either work as an obedient slave, or try to escape. You can free other slaves and have them join you. My latest recruit was a slave I freed from a stone mining camp. Fun fact: The slavers will still buy a slave missing two arms and a leg. I'm not sure what they plan to do with him, but I'd recruit and replace his limbs if it would let me (he's got 60 toughness from taking such a beating, as well as 50 dodge and 30 martial arts).

You can get and manage pet animals now. Pack bulls, pack garru's, bonedogs. The pack animals can carry a lot of weight. The dogs are slightly annoying if you're using powerful cutting weapons, as you'll inevitably whack off limbs and the dogs will grab the limb and run around playing with it and eating it instead of fighting.

Overall it seems like a very fun sandbox now. Anyone else come back to it after a few years?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »

Oh man, that post was a great read. :)) I wish my laptop could run the game well enough to experience this sort of thing!

Last I played I think I managed to set up a mine somewhere out of town (where I'd almost lost people in some ridiculous brawl) and was struggling to figure out how to operate it.
Should give this another go sometime.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 25, 2018, 08:57:53 pm »

I wish my laptop could run the game well enough to experience this sort of thing!

Even on a fairly powerful desktop Kenshi still runs like crap, I can't imagine what it would be like on a low spec laptop...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:23 am »

I'm using a 6 year old PC and it runs good. It actually runs way better now than it did 6 years ago when the PC was new, haha - despite having way more content and better graphics. I remember Kenshi was pretty bare bones back in 2012.

The game is actually really smooth for me now. It gets a little jittery when first loading big towns as I approach and the little loading icon pops up, but only for a few seconds. And I run everywhere with the game on max speed. I waste loads of in-game time by running max speed while I slowly do stuff, heh. I'm already on day 64 and I still only have my little in-town base with two storm houses and 6 guys (have only been to 6 towns so far, recruited everyone I could find - I need to go exploring more, I've been watching my armorsmith make chainmail).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 26, 2018, 08:04:36 am »

Anyone else come back to it after a few years?

me! so much stuff to do! so much to build! I'm only kinda bored by the slow start, got two guys mining copper day and night and it'll take a week and some to even buy the first house and get started with crafting and stuff.

is there a way to do training with your companions?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 26, 2018, 08:21:17 am »

Wow, really?  There's more content? 

I use to just mindlessly kite one mob of misfits to the gate of with guards and loot the remains. 
I think I quit just around when you can start building your own base, but it wasn't really complete.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 26, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »

Building base is fairly complete now, ranged combat is in too, new map, few new race and mecanics, all in all, even if its still early access it is quite complete.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2018, 03:48:25 pm »

They just moved the Experimental build to Stable, so if you're one of those people who are squeamish about experimental builds you can now play with all the latest features in stable.

The game is pretty fun right now. The big thing that bugs me is the way weaponsmithing is worthless - your absolute best weapons (even after getting AI cores and unlocking Edge) are weaker than the stuff that the skeleton npc in the middle of the map sells. His stuff is 16% better than the critical success stuff you can make at the highest weaponsmithing. Thankfully the game is easily modable with the tools it comes with, so you can change silly stuff like this.

You can do some pretty crazy stuff in this build of the game. Sandbox fun! I've been playing around with the ever lovable Holy Lord Phoenix. In one game I kidnapped him and fed him to cannibals. In another I was playing a group of skeletons (robots who the holy nation hates with a passion) and I kidnapped him and took his shoes and had him walk on the acidic ground at my base until his legs melted off. Then I replaced them with robotic legs and brought him back to his throne room. His elite paladins promptly called him an unholy spawn of Narko and beat him to death. And then they raided my base in vengeance, and my poor skeletons got massacred because skeletons kind of suck at direct combat without the ability to wear shirts and helmets and shoes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:56:46 pm by Paul »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 68