Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167987 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #810 on: April 05, 2019, 09:57:31 pm »

You might need to adjust your settings. I don't know exactly how much RAM Kenshi uses, but there are settings that lower the amount of memory the game uses. I personally haven't had any issues with crashes since 1.0, and that's with running a bunch of (non-texture) mods. I imagine if you have a bunch of mods that add in high quality textures you might run into some issues as well. There's also the compressed textures project mod, which has been known to make the game either more or less stable for people, so if you're using it, try not using it, and if you aren't, maybe try using it. It made the game run much better for me personally, and made the game run at all for someone else I know, so it may be worth looking into. However, there are some known crashing issues with it if you don't have enough VRAM and try to run the game on High settings, so that might be the source of some of your issues if you are using that mod.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 06, 2019, 03:50:43 am »

How much memory should I have?  My rig is decent, but its loaded to capacity.  If I knew how much free space to maintain, it might help.
...yeah, the mods might also be causing problems, but I swear that I had crashes without the mods, mostly when changing areas.

I don't know, I use an i5-6500 (and it's onboard intel HD graphics 530) along with 8GB ram, and win7. The game is playable enough for me with the only consistent problem being severe lag when I move the camera within cities (especialy in the south UC) but it fixes itself if I keep it zoomed in to my characters.

I'm using a list of 8 mods:

• Shidan's tweaks & fixes
  • wearing two hats
  • more bounties for minor factions
  • extended camping
  • less foilage and rocks x4
  • 3 homemade mods*

*They add a brawler start, change some bonuses/penalties in clothing and armor (similar concept as neko's clothing overhaul) and increase the chance for the more major factions to have "standard" quality armor instead of either the junkier or higher tiers.

They only mod I seem to have consistent problems with,  was Shidan's reactive world. I'm not sure how or why but if I use it (along with the rest of my modlist) it increases the chance for a crash.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 07, 2019, 12:05:54 am »

They said it's a thousand years ago, which should put it right at the end of Cat-Lon's empire. Otherwise they would have to have the giant skeletons tramping around, space elevators, satellites, all that futuristic stuff. Ingame, Second Empire and Old Empire are used relatively interchangeably, and the First Empire is supposed to be thousands and thousands of years before Kenshi 1.

I can't express how much I wish they would just make a totally new game. I think one of the game's strongest points is the unanswered questions it has lets you speculate and imagine your own world. I don't think this team is particularly strong at writing, and fear a prequel will be ultimately disappointing.

I'd much rather they take a crack at a new setting entirely and let the fans imagine what they will.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 26, 2019, 06:40:36 am »

So, I'm interested in learning if this game's going to be on sale eventually, or will it be like Rimworld and will only get cheaper in like, 5 years from now on or so.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 26, 2019, 07:44:08 am »

According to this, there have been some on fanatical.com during the past months so some sort of sales is not out of the question. I wouldn't count on a huge (30-75%) discount though, the game has barely 5 months since version 1.0 got released and has been on an "early access" discount for what... six years?

On an unrelated note, I've been looking to update both my game and mods today and I found out two things:

1. GOG seems to be missing a patch from v.1.0.21 to 1.0.22, while having both 1.0.19->1.0.21 and 1.0.22->1.0.25. I've send an email to gog's support about it and I'm waiting for their answer. They've added the 1.0.21 to 1.0.22 patch.

2. A community manager in Kenshi's nexus has taken up the task to bring over some of the mods that were only available through Steam's workshop.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 02:41:03 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 26, 2019, 07:57:09 am »

I see it on sale now and then on sites that offer site wide discounts or discount codes specific to Kenshi and that's how I bought it. I'd recommend getting this one straight from steam though, it's an unpolished, janky, buggy mess of a game that I wish I could have refunded. Might be a worthwhile game underneath, but the game crashed on me regularly enough to make me quit playing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:27 pm »

Shame. I've had pretty much no crashes but Kenshi isn't the kind of game that's so excellent you'd put up with it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 28, 2019, 08:49:27 pm »

Shame. I've had pretty much no crashes but Kenshi isn't the kind of game that's so excellent you'd put up with it.

Them's fighting words. Honestly Kenshi is easily one of the best games I've ever played so I don't know what you mean by that. Though to be fair Kenshi has started crashing for me more but that's only because of all the mods I'm running.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:36 pm »

Kenshi is good don't get me wrong. But if it was crashing for me constantly and losing progress I'd have a hard time staying with it. It's a rough game in a lot of ways, and a "do whatever figure something out" sandbox to boot. It's one of those games you have to dig in for a while to see get what's good about it, and crashes make that hard to do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 28, 2019, 09:38:30 pm »

I put up with the crashes and the slow load times (when complaining about the crashes, I think its important to note that the game takes like 10 minutes to load, as otherwise the crashes wouldn't be so bad) for quite some time.  I only stopped playing because I've moved on to other games, I'll be back when I get the itch, which I know that I will.  Post-apocalyptic samurais in a faraway land?  So much to draw me back to that.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 29, 2019, 12:17:03 pm »

Yeah, the load times are really, really bad. Not as bad as they once were, but still terrible. I did some calculations to figure out if I could fit the game on a RAM disk even (answer: not quite unless I want to shut down literally everything else).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #821 on: April 29, 2019, 12:23:42 pm »

I had better luck cranking up the draw/view distance so things would load farther out. Still super laggy when fast forwarding across the land.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #822 on: April 29, 2019, 01:36:26 pm »

I have Kenshi on an ssd. It still loads kinda slow, but not too bad. Few minutes to launch, maybe 20-30 seconds to load new areas when my squad of super speedy guys is zooming across the map on the fastest speed and gets ahead of the preloaded area. I don't have the graphic settings maxed out though - I turned things down a bit to speed it up. I'm on an older rig (parts are all like 7-10 years old now, it was originally a windows 7 machine) so it won't run Kenshi on the highest settings without a lot of stutter when I go into areas like the swamp.

I haven't seen a crash since one of the prerelease versions though, so I don't know the struggle of crashing repeatedly lol. I don't use many mods though.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 07, 2019, 02:27:10 am »

I have Kenshi on an ssd. It still loads kinda slow, but not too bad. Few minutes to launch, maybe 20-30 seconds to load new areas when my squad of super speedy guys is zooming across the map on the fastest speed and gets ahead of the preloaded area. I don't have the graphic settings maxed out though - I turned things down a bit to speed it up. I'm on an older rig (parts are all like 7-10 years old now, it was originally a windows 7 machine) so it won't run Kenshi on the highest settings without a lot of stutter when I go into areas like the swamp.

I haven't seen a crash since one of the prerelease versions though, so I don't know the struggle of crashing repeatedly lol. I don't use many mods though.

I'm probably somewhere similar, with an i5-3570, a GTX970 and a SATA SSD. I've a lot of bells and whistles turned off and still get regular pauses. I bought a copy of Kenshi for my nephew, who built a new PC last year, and when I was over visiting him, the experience was night and day with his M2 SSD and nicer graphical effects as well.

Really gonna have to build a new PC this year. Maybe next year. I mean, it's almost Christmas. 

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 07, 2019, 11:35:12 am »

That seems pretty bad, I don't have an SSD and it takes me around 20 seconds to load a new area. Although to be fair it also crashes on me a lot. Loading takes nearly 2 minutes for me so after a couple of crashes I'm done with Kenshi for the day.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 68