Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167865 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #825 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:34 pm »

So, I'm playing Kenshi again.

There have been a couple updates, mostly to expand the supported languages, yet they seem to have helped performance significantly.  Load times seem much faster, and I have experienced few crashes.  I also stay away from mods that modify existing town: They can still cause regular crashes.  New town are a lot safer, from what I recall.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 13, 2019, 07:44:48 pm »

I got this, had a *ton* of fun for about a week, but now little things are starting to grind my gears a little, especially with city defense.

if you've got incoming hostiles, and you want your crosbow men to stand on the walls,or melee fighters to guard the gate, you've got to cancel all their other orders, which means you have to re-issue them after the battle.
Post battle, you've now got a bunch of unconscious hostiles in your town (assuming they broke through, and you won), they then wake up, and continue fighting.
you can set your guys to throw out unconscious intruders, but then they just throw them out the gate, and then they start fighting encumbered/carrying a body when one of the previous throwouts wakes up.
Then, if you've set your dudes to help allies and put casualties in bed, they'll pick up friendly mercs, and then carry them around forever. if you manually tell them to put the merc into a bed, your dudes throwing out intruders will then pick up the merc from the bed, and go throw him out of the gate, your medic rescuer will then go and pick the merc up again.

And don't get me started on how much of a pain it is to resup each dude with arrows, med supplies etc. esp if your stockpiles/boxes are all indoors, and there's noone in that building.

and then there's the pathfinding issues, I've a party which is set to bodyguard a packbull, the packbull sometimes gets stuck and wont move. I'm wondering if the party members are sometimes blocking him from moving.

Good news is, it runs ok under proton.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:53:07 pm by se5a »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 13, 2019, 10:59:17 pm »

Yeah, that seems typical, although I have limited experience with outpost defense.

One important thing that might help is Prison Cells.  If you had them, then you could dump the unconscious hostiles into them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 14, 2019, 03:25:26 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:12:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 14, 2019, 03:57:35 am »

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the game that much.

I'm having a blast personally, but I have to say that mods make a big difference for me.  The default thirty member limit is straight up unusable to me, so I picked up the 256 faction limit mod.  I also couldn't stand how hard it became to pick up recruits after a while, so I added recruit prisoners.  I also added interior decoration, copper ore drill and several other items that reduced some of the more asinine overhead, such as the minuscule input-output of machines and the pathetic material storage limits.

While there doesn't appear to be any way to fix the obtuse task system, there are a lot of ways to make it much less onerous.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 14, 2019, 07:02:08 pm »

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the game that much.

I'm having a blast personally, but I have to say that mods make a big difference for me.  The default thirty member limit is straight up unusable to me, so I picked up the 256 faction limit mod.  I also couldn't stand how hard it became to pick up recruits after a while, so I added recruit prisoners.  I also added interior decoration, copper ore drill and several other items that reduced some of the more asinine overhead, such as the minuscule input-output of machines and the pathetic material storage limits.

While there doesn't appear to be any way to fix the obtuse task system, there are a lot of ways to make it much less onerous.

I actually DON'T use recruit prisoners, because I know how to use the Slave Markets to pick up all the recruits I need (typically, 1 in 3 purchased slaves will join up, and a combination of importing and just hanging around certain United Cities for a while can get the pens filled).  I found that Recruit Prisoners made the game too easy, but I use the version where all you have to do is ask the prisoner.  The version where I have to guess how to recruit the prisoner, based upon having the correct item (oh, no rice, no unit for you!), where it was poorly documented, wasn't for me.

I often think about the 256 faction limit mod, which I use.  While I'm probably not going to stop using it, as the rather arbitrary limit of 30 upsets me, I do think the game was mostly balanced around 30 character factions.  Just look at how few people are in most cities.  The capitals probably have less than 256 people.  I think most bandit factions number less than 256 people.  While the Shek, Noly Nation, and United Cities most certainly have over 256 people, most other factions probably fall under the 256 or equate to that number.  Having 256 people isn't just a minor bandit faction, its a tiny empire.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 14, 2019, 07:10:52 pm »

For me I picked up a 256 mod because 30 was a bit on the low side. I didn't want hundreds of guys, but I did want a full combat squad, an explore squad (2-3 guys), and a full set of laborers to keep things running at my main base. 30 just isn't quite enough for that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 18, 2019, 08:55:20 am »

For me I picked up a 256 mod because 30 was a bit on the low side. I didn't want hundreds of guys, but I did want a full combat squad, an explore squad (2-3 guys), and a full set of laborers to keep things running at my main base. 30 just isn't quite enough for that.

How many laborers do you have at your main base to keep things running?  I've never gotten too far in base building, so I have no idea how many people a proper base should have.  My bases have never gotten past "an isolated shack in the middle of nowhere".
I am also curious how many people you have in the full combat squad.  I've heard a lot of talk on reddit about 6-man teams for some reason.

I'm playing around now with a mod that allows the player to create guns, and a mod that allows the player to create special leather armor (it appears to be hardened/boiled leather).  I'm thinking of training up some people to sneak, and one to knock people out.  Plan on sending them with care packages of guns and armor to "upgrade" the Rebel Farmers while they sleep.  I wonder how the UC Samurai will far versus the Rebel Farmers when the rebels have been upgraded with automatic guns and body armor...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 18, 2019, 05:33:37 pm »

Well, there are about 5-7 or so people on farms/cooking, too many less and food can be a real issue. By late game I only have 1-2 people on mining/refining, mostly running materials from machine to machine but early game it takes more like 10. Armor/weapons/medial supplies/science is another 2 people, 2-3 more on other crafting jobs.

Main combat squad is about 8-10 people. 6 with lighter weapons, at least 2 with heavy weapons, and possibly 2 more with light armor, defensive weapons, and backpacks with supplies.

The exploration team is 2-3 guys. Generally one real badass (often my starting character, who will have trained up to beastly levels at this point) and one or two "runners". The runners carry multiple backpacks (since you can carry fully backpacks in your main inventory) and basically exist to carry loot back so the badass can stay out longer. sometimes I will add another combat character to make engaging spiders or whatever without waiting for the combat squad to arrive a lot less risky.

Now when the combat squad is at home they can defend the base, but when they are not it is nice to have at least some defenses, so I often have a "light" combat squad (4 guys) and a few turret operators (2-4) that stay home. The light squad is really just reinforcements for the combat squad that are currently training up, but together with the turrets they can be effective enough..

So, that gets us to 30+ guys late game. Early game the combat squad is often much smaller and future members are part of the mining industry, farming is simplified and focused on food, there is far less crafting going on outside of whatever is making me money, and there is no base defense group since the combat squad that exists is too weak to clear ruins anyway so they just stay home and the explorer plays it safe.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 23, 2019, 12:52:39 am »

Oh man, I'm at something stupid right now in my main save. I think I have something like 114 people total? 3 armorsmiths, 2 weaponsmiths, 40-50 miners, 10-15 farmers, half a dozen haulers, and then another 30-40 for plate beaters, steel refineries, leather tanners, building materials, and chainmail crafters. On top of that I've got a quick response squad of 20 which is split throughout the different locations in order to defend the miners and take the wounded back to bed.

Sometimes shit gets tricky since my base covers a huge span of territory smack dab in the middle of Okran's Pride. There are always constant attacks from HN squads just casually strolling by. Mostly it's due to how spread out everyone is and the time it can take to respond to simultaneous attacks on opposite sides of the base.

Currently I'm on day 187.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

shovelmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 23, 2019, 06:14:09 pm »

Dammit. Now I want to play Kenshi again....#scehdulestimefortheweekend
Reach out and crush someone!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #836 on: July 23, 2019, 07:32:39 pm »

That's gotta be the converse for #OneMoreTurn :P

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 18, 2019, 11:45:41 am »

Gotten to a point in the backlog where Kenshi appears. What is this game like? Mount and Blade meets Rimworld? What's the best starting tip for playing something like "fortress mode"?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 18, 2019, 12:10:49 pm »

Best tip would be “don’t rush to build a base”. Kenshi doesn’t have any buffer mechanics so the moment you start your base a lot of people would immediately get the memo and come for you. So take your time, train your party, travel around the world until you find a location that you like and then settle down. 

The easiest way to get your base started is to buy a building inside an existing town. You won’t have enough space for everything but they’ll be safe from attacks. (Disclaimer: there is/was a bug sometimes causing the player to lose building ownership when a towns gets reset or changes state.)

With the “proper” answer out of the way, you could always just start a base right away. You might have to suck up to some of the attackers for some time, you might lose some of your people, but eventually the survivors will become strong enough to start kicking some butt. The only major problem would be the down time after each fight where all/most of your team will be either resting or unconscious from their wounds (which can get really boring).

edit: typos

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:00:18 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 18, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »

In addition to the above, an easy way to get started making money is to find a Copper Ore node or two near the town you're wanting to settle in. You can farm that stuff day in day out and make quite a bit of money, enough to start recruiting more people, which lets you harvest more ore, which makes you more money....

I'd say you need about 5 people that have their combat skills trained up to a moderate level before you should try to start your own base. And even then, you'll likely be outnumbered 2:1 most of the time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68