Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 95445 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #840 on: August 18, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »

In addition to the above, an easy way to get started making money is to find a Copper Ore node or two near the town you're wanting to settle in. You can farm that stuff day in day out and make quite a bit of money, enough to start recruiting more people, which lets you harvest more ore, which makes you more money....

I'd say you need about 5 people that have their combat skills trained up to a moderate level before you should try to start your own base. And even then, you'll likely be outnumbered 2:1 most of the time.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Disdains the law
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 19, 2019, 02:40:31 am »

Ok despite all my badmouthing I've been bored enough to play a lot of kenshi lately: the game tends to become extremly annoying if your base in the wrong place! Holy nation won't let you stray away for 5 minutes, and all the central deserts are just littered with bandits and such but at least you won't be annoyed by the need of a male greeter with a holy flame and the possibily to ruin your reputation if you're careless enough to greet their 856th daily visit with a woman or an "alien".

You should consider moving far out (fish isle is more or less calm) or buying a house in town, because if not, the game will prevent you from an any meaningful progress as alluded.

I've opened a drugstore in blisterhill: I deliver alcohol and we produce hashish clandestinely in town... It was fun to set up etc but the damn thing makes like 1500 creditd every 5 RL hours so it's completly useless. But I found some neat blueprints and let just say I'll collect Meitou and peel everything, maybe I'll go so far as giving whole towns economy limbs and bringing them back
.... Or maybe I'll grab all the big cheeses, give them cheap clubs, and put them in an arena with beep until beep can beat them all at once  ;D. But I'm sure by then the game will be sucked dry and boring: all the cool lategamey stuff you expect doesn't really exist. Like you can't dismantle or take over empty towns, there is no conclusive bit of lore that you could consider as final boss, only a bunch of faction leaders carrying best quality weapon, and unless you install reactive and interactive map mods the map won't hardly be affected by anything you do.

But the first 40h of grind when it's really hard are pretty fun, especially thieves and slaves, or any badly misthreated minority, maybe playing traders could be fun too but tbh that sounds even less rewarding than lategame, knowing the game (you'd be essentially crawling at snailpaste while trying to outmanouver way too common ennemies)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder, Adequate Thread Derailer
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 19, 2019, 06:13:39 am »

Fucking Holy Nation >:( >:( >:( >:(

I once started a run as a HN citizen because I like their area which meant that I started with a slight boost in my relations with them + whatever goodwill I got from helping them in battles against bandits and such.  Fast forward some months and everyone in my group is either of a "sinful" race or has prosthetics or is a woman or all of the above, so there I was with +15 relation with HN and an attack on sight warrant on my head. Fuck.

And then I decided to build a base north of Squin, where the game recognizes the land as Border Zone. Thing is HN thinks this area is theirs so they are all like "prayer day,motherfucker"!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 19, 2019, 10:36:21 am »

Prayer Day is pretty easy to manage though.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 19, 2019, 12:05:19 pm »

Yes it is, but since they would attack my party on sight it was only a matter of time before they would start sending combat detachements instead of a priest and his merry band of club wielding altar boys  :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:40 pm »

I had plenty of women and non-humans, it never seemed to provoke them to violence. I always just made sure the person carrying the book that would go speak to them was male and human. Maybe I'm missing something there.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:20 pm »

Iirc the Holy Nation sends envoys to all of the Border Zone, or at least a large part of it.
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 19, 2019, 12:30:57 pm »

Probably the one thing the HN wouldn't miss, prosthetic limbs  :D

Some of my party members, including my only two male humans had lost a couple of limbs. Now if it was just their hands I would just remove them and be done with it, but they had lost their legs too. Peace was never an option.

In another run, the HN had given me trouble even when I had a male human with their book. So there we were, traveling through their lands peddling hash from the swamp to the UC minding our own business, keeping a low profile and taking care that we avoid any of their major settlements, the dammed book always on hand and almost all of our encounters with their patrols had gone smoothly. I say almost because one of their priest wasn't very happy about my way of teaching the faith to my two shek bodyguards and demanded that I hand my "beasts" over to the mines.

The Border Zone is considered a contested territory from both the HN and the Shek Kingdom so they both send their respective parties if you settle there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 20, 2019, 01:27:23 am »

Gotten to a point in the backlog where Kenshi appears. What is this game like? Mount and Blade meets Rimworld? What's the best starting tip for playing something like "fortress mode"?

I should also point out that there is a start "The Freedom Seekers" that will give you the materials to start up a base.  The "Old Guard" character has a bounty from the Holy Nation, so either turn him in for the bounty or don't settle in Holy Nation territory.  You might have to start a couple times: Sometimes the game spawns The Freedom Seekers near an abandoned Waystation instead of an active one, and then the bandits will probably get you.

Oh, as for tips, I guess the best one is: Hire Mercenaries. 
I wish someone had told me about them a lot sooner.  Mercenaries are great, they cost 2000 cats, yet when they fight a bandit squad and win, the gear from the dead bandits usually sells for more, so you actually make money off them.  And they let you win against groups that would otherwise destroy your squad, while still allowing your people to get valuable experience.  And they can be hired for Base Defense, so when you see something nasty approaching your base, you can have one character run for the nearest Waystation/Town, hire Mercs, then run back and take all their stuff instead of having them destroy your squad.

Secondary tip: Your character are supposed to get beaten up.  Its part of the game.  Buy lots of medical supplies.  The above Mercs will heal your squad if under contract and after wiping out the bandits, but it might not be soon enough for everyone.  It can be useful in every battle to set one character as Passive and Stealth, then have them heal up everyone else while the Mercs fight the bandits.
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: September 11, 2019, 04:03:44 pm »

Yes it is, but since they would attack my party on sight it was only a matter of time before they would start sending combat detachements instead of a priest and his merry band of club wielding altar boys  :D
Just hide the cyborgs when the priest is visiting. It's okay to have women, sheks and bugmen around, as long as you have a human male speak to the Holy Nation troops, and they can't see anyone with robolimbs. It's only once a week.
By the way, if you ever need to cross HN territory with a skeleton, the paladins don't bother you if it's being carried. Party members you're carrying are treated the same way as enemies you're carrying, i.e. not acknowledged at all.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: September 12, 2019, 09:41:51 am »

"Just taking this heretic to the scrap heap, yessir, totally gonna melt this demon"
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 19, 2019, 01:16:48 pm »

Toppers! Good quality toppers, now with extra historical accuracy! Get yours today!

I found this video showing a weapon that looks quite similar to a kenshi topper. Now the example shown in the video is supposed to be a reproduction from a weapon shown in the maciejowski bible but after looking at the illustrations myself, the closest depiction I could find was one (called faussart according to wikipedia) that has a significantly more acute point...so yeah historical accuracy is debatable in this case... Still I think it is a nice looking weapon.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 20, 2019, 05:40:13 am »

That's clearly a combat cleaver.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 20, 2019, 06:13:17 am »

It. Cleaves. Combat.
Love, scriver~