Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167999 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #855 on: December 08, 2019, 02:00:58 am »

Yeah, the AI/bugginess can do weird stuff. Sometimes cool, sometimes really fucking annoying. Like the time I had a whole warparty spontaneously generating jobs to bodyguard a random goat in the desert. Just doing my thing, running around the desert getting into brawls with all and sundry when out of the blue the entire squad peels away from a four-way fight. I order them back in, they obey... for about two seconds, then off they go again. This repeated about twenty times before one of my order stops/stance changes shook something loose. That, or the goat got killed.

Got my own party all ready to roll out. Since I'm playing with that mod that reworks crossbows to make them more like sidegrades than upgrades and increases their range (which also has the fun effect of making those random groups of bandits that happen to have 6+ crossbows really nasty), I think I'm going to set up a hemp farm in Darkfinger and do some neofeudal sniper-spotter terrorist attacks in HN territory with my two main sharpshooters, real Taliban shit. Only took about fifteen times longer than it should have because I kept making extra runs to clean out the hashish from the hidden drug farm, sell it at Flats Lagoon, steal it back, and sell it again in the UC. Exploiting the busted stealth/theft mechanics is like crack.

Spoiler: Da boys (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 08, 2019, 09:34:14 am »

i just wish this game was more stable in the graphics side, even if i put everything at lowest settings it just plays horribly slow (everything before actually playing works fine just when you enter the world is that starts dropping in FPS).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 08, 2019, 05:16:28 pm »

Are you using the Compressed Textures Project mod? If not, try it, the difference is astonishing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 12, 2019, 07:16:49 pm »

Do people feel like there was an AI change between late beta and release as far as the AI attacking defensive walls?

I basically rebuilt my base in release in the same place as during beta, and before all the roaming doinks would circle around my walls to the fort gates before they started attacking.

I gave up on my current game for now because they just kept attacking the wall wherever they'd impact it, and slowly work their way down my walls rather than pathing to the open gate. It wasn't an insurmountable problem, just really really tedious. The resource cost and time for where I'm at in game basically means I'd be repairing my walls full time. Not to mention having to walk my units all the way around my base to kill them since they will just keep attacking until the cows come home.

Now that I think about it, I have occasionally noticed my own guys occasionally fail to respond to a move order to enter the base my its only gate. And some behavior where the AI preferentially started attacking my walls instead of my gate despite being right next to it. Yet then again, the scripted AI attacks had no problems walking in to my base.

Between the bugs and the overzealous ass kicking the game is willing to hand out once you put roots down anywhere in the open, after a while I just get tired of dealing with it. I like Kenshi a lot but I hope they put more effort in to a cleaner game in Kenshi 2.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #859 on: December 13, 2019, 06:25:39 pm »

I think I dream of Kenshi 2 at this point. I'm sure I'll be hyping it up but man. I want grids... Flat space for building... pathfinding... some green grass. I could die a happy man.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 17, 2019, 05:07:51 am »

Has anyone tried to have several bases (not bought buildings) at the same time? It really depends on one’s pc but I’m curious to know if it had any major impact on the game’s performance.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 17, 2019, 05:20:50 am »

Things get unloaded when you're not there. Sending characters around the map will exhaust your computer, so I wouldn't recommend having two bases running at the same time unless you have a very good reason to or a very good computer.

Semi-related: I don't play this game because it melted my last laptop.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 17, 2019, 07:57:02 am »

I pretty regularly run a second base after I get the first built and as automated as possible.  It is extremely taxing on your system, but not really cpu melting, as Kenshi tries (mostly successfully) to minimize the strain.  It doesn't handle the RAM so well tho'  when I have more than one base switching between them usually has up to a minute of loading.

On the more unpleasant side of things, it looks like the latest update has created the most infuriating crash on my install, every single time I try to loot a downed animal the game just freezes then crashes to desktop.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 17, 2019, 10:39:32 am »

I already have to lower the graphics and use mods to reduce a lot of the eye candies for increased performance and even then I still get lots of lag in certain areas (most large cities and especially in southern UC) :(

I wanted to establish a network of semi-independent cities/strongholds each of which would support a fighter squad that would have to deal with their local troubles and when possible gather up to wage war on the major factions. I guess I have to put said plan to hold for until I'll upgrade my pc...

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 20, 2019, 05:53:14 am »

Double post with a minor spoiler

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 20, 2019, 08:33:35 am »

Do people feel like there was an AI change between late beta and release as far as the AI attacking defensive walls?

I basically rebuilt my base in release in the same place as during beta, and before all the roaming doinks would circle around my walls to the fort gates before they started attacking.

I gave up on my current game for now because they just kept attacking the wall wherever they'd impact it, and slowly work their way down my walls rather than pathing to the open gate. It wasn't an insurmountable problem, just really really tedious. The resource cost and time for where I'm at in game basically means I'd be repairing my walls full time. Not to mention having to walk my units all the way around my base to kill them since they will just keep attacking until the cows come home.

Now that I think about it, I have occasionally noticed my own guys occasionally fail to respond to a move order to enter the base my its only gate. And some behavior where the AI preferentially started attacking my walls instead of my gate despite being right next to it. Yet then again, the scripted AI attacks had no problems walking in to my base.

A while back, but after release, some of your walls would spontaneously fall apart if you walled off your base entirely. That was changed so that if the AI couldn't path into your base through a gate, they'd attack the nearest wall (which are all made out of tissue paper). If you have a gate but the AI can't "see" it, even after a CTRL-SHIFT-F11 then it could just be a bugged bit of map that you might be able to get around by laying down your own pathing - but that's overkill. Some mods that remove clutter make certain preset buildings completely inaccessible. I think the one I had trouble with was... hmm, either "reduce stones and some other foliage" or "clean and speed". I recently upgraded my PC so I don't use either of them anymore, though I still use the reduced textures mod, which is just great.

If you don't have any mods installed like that, maybe do a SHIFT-F12 and try rebuilding the mesh. You can also see the pathing from that menu, but personally I don't know enough about it to tell you how to edit it. I HAVE done it in the past, but I've also caused myself some spectacular problems with the editor. I wonder whether you'll find that there's a pathing track that leads directly to the wall being attacked, which your base is cutting off access to the other side.

Worst case, replace the wall that's being attacked with another gate. At least you'll know to defend it, and the gates have more HP (I use a mod to increase this further anyway).

To someone's point about crashes, FWIW I went from constant crashes with a i5-3750K 16GB GTX970 to almost no crashes with a Ryzen 3600 32GB 5700XT build, while using much the same mod list on both PCs. I suspect the RAM has made the most difference.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 20, 2019, 10:14:54 am »

Does Kenshi really do what it says - a world runs by itself and the player is only a part of it? We all have played DF and while the world in DF does run by itself but what happens in legend mode or world gen is very different from what happens in either fortress mode or adventure mode.

So for example if you set a tree on fire and come back a week later what will happen?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 20, 2019, 10:29:03 am »

Aside from the fact that you can't light trees on fire (the simulation is nowhere near that complex) things very much do happen without your involvement. But not complex things.  You won't find cities that have been taken over by another faction unless you initiate it.

As an example:

You could lead a group of roving bandits into a town, and start a huge battle.  Likewise, you can witness this happening without your input, it's normal to see battles rage between various factions while just wandering around, but when you aren't present much of it doesn't happen to save on memory and processor usage.

Starving bandits will attack animals in the wild, and if they win they will kill the animals and gather meat from them.  Holy Nation military patrols actively engage dangerous wildlife, and you'll sometimes see reports of wilderness camps or animal dens being wiped out while wandering around.  But so far as I am able to tell, it only applies to the region of the map you are currently in.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 20, 2019, 10:39:42 am »

The proverbial tree would have burned if it could burn in the first place.

The world by itself is in a dynamic balance when you start a new game. Some things1 can and will change during gameplay regardless of the player's actions but in general without the player's influence2 the world will generally stay in the same state of affairs.

1. NPCs will get injured or die by fighting, they might get better at certain skills, some of them might become slaves to the others, animal dens/bandit camps might get whipped out. Your base might have visitors regardless of whether you are there or not (they won't do anything but they'll still come). These kind of stuff will happen but they won't have any sort of lasting effect.

2. There are the so called campaigns, where one faction can move against their enemies. These get triggered by certain events like the death/kidnapping/imprisonment of particular NPCs which are extremely unlikely (if not completely impossible) to happen without the direct involvement of the player.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:41:19 am by Ulfarr »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 20, 2019, 12:23:52 pm »

The proverbial tree would have burned if it could burn in the first place.

The world by itself is in a dynamic balance when you start a new game. Some things1 can and will change during gameplay regardless of the player's actions but in general without the player's influence2 the world will generally stay in the same state of affairs.

1. NPCs will get injured or die by fighting, they might get better at certain skills, some of them might become slaves to the others, animal dens/bandit camps might get whipped out. Your base might have visitors regardless of whether you are there or not (they won't do anything but they'll still come). These kind of stuff will happen but they won't have any sort of lasting effect.

2. There are the so called campaigns, where one faction can move against their enemies. These get triggered by certain events like the death/kidnapping/imprisonment of particular NPCs which are extremely unlikely (if not completely impossible) to happen without the direct involvement of the player.

NullForceOmega's explanation was more accurate.  I once saw the Holy Phoenix get killed by a bunch of bandits.  I was just sitting around Blister Hill, and some bandits attacked.  Apparently, they managed to get to the Holy Phoenix and he died in battle.  Dunno if they got into his headquarters, or if he went out and fought them.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 68