Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167810 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #885 on: December 26, 2019, 06:29:46 pm »

There's a reason my current group is called Narko's Naiads and it's only half for the pop culture reference.

Okranites are post-apoc redpiller Klansmen who can't even get their shit together enough to clear out the cannibals, so they just sit in their valley beating their multiple wives and arresting foreigners for being foreign; they deserve every last crucifixion and peeling.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 26, 2019, 07:51:27 pm »

Considering how they came to be, I'm not entirely sure which one would be worse, them or their previous overlord which Kenshi 2 would presumably feature...I shudder at that possibility.

But right now /nothing/ beats stomping them into the dust like the scum they are - If only there's actually a mechanic for bleeding them white that way.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 27, 2019, 07:42:42 am »

Or a woman.
They're honestly pretty chill towards women, so long as you don't pick the "slut" dialogue options when talking to city guards. I haven't had an encounter I couldn't talk my way out of.
Meanwhile in the United Cities, some fucker in robes is trying to hunt me for sport.
Okranites are post-apoc redpiller Klansmen who can't even get their shit together enough to clear out the cannibals, so they just sit in their valley beating their multiple wives and arresting foreigners for being foreign; they deserve every last crucifixion and peeling.
The Holy Nation is the safest place in the world, though. They're squeezed between cannibals to the north, fogmen to the west and rogue iron spiders to the east, but the worst the holy farmers have to deal with on the regular is river raptors trying to eat their crops.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 27, 2019, 11:29:54 am »

No.  They are not 'chill' towards women.  They will randomly attack groups that have disproportionate numbers of females, women will be harassed by guards and priests, and if your outpost has a large number of females it may be attacked for NO REASON.

And 'safe' is extremely questionable when the goddamn BDN show up on your doorstep during prayer day, and proceed to wreck your shit while the paladins stand on and do nothing, only for the priest to get upset because all your people are laying on the ground trying not to bleed out, so they send a purge to remove you from their land.

But if your experience is entirely city driven or late game fortress, then sure, 'safe' is exactly as applicable to them as every other place in the game.

If you want safe, build on Leviathan Coast, cannibals are a complete joke if you've got walls and decent fighters, and no one else will ever come to attack you unless you provoke them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 27, 2019, 03:14:45 pm »

No.  They are not 'chill' towards women.  They will randomly attack groups that have disproportionate numbers of females, women will be harassed by guards and priests, and if your outpost has a large number of females it may be attacked for NO REASON.
Just stop being so rude to those guards and priests "harassing" you and you'll be fine. Say that you're a loyal servant of Okran and show them your Holy Flame. And consider hiring a male spokesman for your outpost, it's hardly a major expense by the time you're actually building outposts.
And sure, "safety" is relative, but if you're trying to do something simple like travel from the south to the northeastern United Cities, your options are pretty grim. There's Venge and the Deadlands, each with their own flavor of skeletons and murder weather. You can go around the south, fighting beak things, gorillo bandits and reavers. You can go around the north, fighting every cannibal and/or fogman along the way. Or, you can go straight through Holy Nation, rest in comfortable inns, buy some grog as a souvenir, and contend with trying to be polite to paladins. That's if you're a woman. If you're a man, those paladins give you free food and band-aids.
Most of all, the Holy Nation just seems like the nicest place to live for ordinary citizens. The United Cities use slavery as the basis of their entire economy, rather than punishment, and have laws against the poor. The Shek are insane, only temporarily kept from killing themselves by Esata the Stone Golem, and don't seem to have any farms. The Swamp is a lawless hive of scum and villainy. Mongrel is under permanent siege by Fogmen. The tech hunter cities are fine if you're a tech hunter, but it's not like most people ever could be.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 27, 2019, 07:34:15 pm »

I have played over 1300 hours of Kenshi, I have played on the side of, and against, every major faction, I have defeated every single megaboss except for Cat-Lon and Tinfist.  I have experienced almost EVERYTHING Kenshi has to offer, and while I agree that the Holy Kingdom has the SECOND lowest number of problems, because the Shek are vastly more chill and as long as you don't piss them off they basically ignore you, I completely disagree with your assertion that they are the easiest to deal with.

I have done more than a hundred different role-play setups and other than slaver raids no faction causes me more grief due to random shit than the HN, I've got a dozen saves with fortresses setup in Okran's Valley and positive relations with them and I still find dealing with them more frustrating than anyone else.  Prayer day isn't a big deal, unless they spot someone with a prosthesis, or you have too many women, or everyone is KOed, or you left to avoid the BDN and then couldn't get back to the priest before he left.  I DON'T intentionally antagonize them, because high paladins and inquisitors are actually really badass and can cause serious damage to a group without late game setups, but the number of things that are difficult or impossible to control makes them the worst to deal with overall.  Also, they STILL FUCKING IGNORE BDN AND DUST BANDITS WHEN THEY ARE ATTACKING YOUR BASE.  Unless they spot cybernetics on one of the BDN or Dust Bandits, but that's awfully damned rare.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 28, 2019, 04:55:33 am »

Just stop being so rude to those guards and priests "harassing" you and you'll be fine. Say that you're a loyal servant of Okran and show them your Holy Flame. And consider hiring a male spokesman for your outpost, it's hardly a major expense by the time you're actually building outposts.

Except you can have their damned Holy Flame, you can have a male greenlander spokesman, you can be polite to them and proclaim that Okran is your lord, hell you can even have positive relations with them on top of it all and their asshole inquisitors will still demand that you "surrender your beasts* to be send to Rebirth or they'll kill each and everyone of you".

*Beast = shek

By your logic you can claim that UC is paradise on earth by simply not being poor. Just bust your ass on the nearest mine, get rich selling the ore and just bribe anyone that tries to give you trouble.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:00:09 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #892 on: December 28, 2019, 07:37:07 am »

And sure, "safety" is relative, but if you're trying to do something simple like travel from the south to the northeastern United Cities, your options are pretty grim. There's Venge and the Deadlands, each with their own flavor of skeletons and murder weather. You can go around the south, fighting beak things, gorillo bandits and reavers. You can go around the north, fighting every cannibal and/or fogman along the way. Or, you can go straight through Holy Nation, rest in comfortable inns, buy some grog as a souvenir, and contend with trying to be polite to paladins. That's if you're a woman. If you're a man, those paladins give you free food and band-aids.
Most of all, the Holy Nation just seems like the nicest place to live for ordinary citizens. The United Cities use slavery as the basis of their entire economy, rather than punishment, and have laws against the poor. The Shek are insane, only temporarily kept from killing themselves by Esata the Stone Golem, and don't seem to have any farms. The Swamp is a lawless hive of scum and villainy. Mongrel is under permanent siege by Fogmen. The tech hunter cities are fine if you're a tech hunter, but it's not like most people ever could be.

Yes.

Beep

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 28, 2019, 01:50:13 pm »

Except you can have their damned Holy Flame, you can have a male greenlander spokesman, you can be polite to them and proclaim that Okran is your lord, hell you can even have positive relations with them on top of it all and their asshole inquisitors will still demand that you "surrender your beasts* to be send to Rebirth or they'll kill each and everyone of you".
Well, yeah, obviously the paladins are going to be a bit on edge if you got shek in your party. After all, is it not written:
"But the horned devil possessed a sinful mind, it rejected Okran's light in its heart in favor of Narko's temptations."

To be serious for a moment, I feel like the game's kind of skewed against the Holy Nation because why on earth would anyone play as a human in a game that allows you to play as a nonhuman? Holy Nation is really remarkably friendly so long as your party is all humans with all original human limbs, but it's not like the game even tells you that. No, you start a skeleton in Hub, go check out the other nearby settlements, and your first encounter with the HN is getting attacked by the Stack gate guards. Sure, they're not very nice people and they really do hate women, but they're still no worse than anyone else in the godforsaken hellhole that is Kenshi. It's just that it's nigh impossible to form a positive first impression of them.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 28, 2019, 03:23:51 pm »

I think that is intentional, in the Shek towns you get harassed by racists, in the UC you see nobles berating people, and if you make the mistake of visiting Stack with a non-human you get wrecked.  The setup of each is pretty blatant in its attempt to make you feel unwelcome in this world, and I think that plays very well into the basic idea of "You aren't special" that Kenshi uses as its core conceit.

It's also funny that Shek are without question the most powerful warriors in the game, followed immediately by humans, then skeletons, with Hivers coming in dead last.  A very interesting power dynamic that plays into the setting of the world, the Shek kingdom is in ruins, but they're almost unassailable.  The Holy Nation is powerful but poor and badly equipped.  The UC is very strong, much like any multi-ethnic group, but so corrupt and inefficient that they are collapsing under their own weight.  The skeletons hide from everyone in inaccessible locations, Cat-lon adds a fuck-huge army in to make it even more undesirable to find him.  And finally the Hivers just act friendly to everyone and sell you shit, sometimes even good shit, like building or farming supplies.  And the Southern Hivers have a fuck-off OP 'king' who will pretty much wreck anyone.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 29, 2019, 02:21:59 am »

Thing is HN's friendship is as genuine as the authentic skeleton repair kit, all it takes is one unlucky hit (losing a leg) and boom you are in the HN's most wanted.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 29, 2019, 03:19:20 am »

I think that is intentional, in the Shek towns you get harassed by racists, in the UC you see nobles berating people, and if you make the mistake of visiting Stack with a non-human you get wrecked.  The setup of each is pretty blatant in its attempt to make you feel unwelcome in this world, and I think that plays very well into the basic idea of "You aren't special" that Kenshi uses as its core conceit.

It's also funny that Shek are without question the most powerful warriors in the game, followed immediately by humans, then skeletons, with Hivers coming in dead last.  A very interesting power dynamic that plays into the setting of the world, the Shek kingdom is in ruins, but they're almost unassailable.  The Holy Nation is powerful but poor and badly equipped.  The UC is very strong, much like any multi-ethnic group, but so corrupt and inefficient that they are collapsing under their own weight.  The skeletons hide from everyone in inaccessible locations, Cat-lon adds a fuck-huge army in to make it even more undesirable to find him.  And finally the Hivers just act friendly to everyone and sell you shit, sometimes even good shit, like building or farming supplies.  And the Southern Hivers have a fuck-off OP 'king' who will pretty much wreck anyone.

I'm sorry, how are humans more powerful warriors than skeletons?  Skeletons have more hitpoints.  Yes, they need the expensive robot repair kits to heal and take permanent damage that needs specialized beds to fix.  But they got the infrastructure to handle all that.  Only reason the Skeletons haven't wrecked everyone else is because they're too depressed to bother.  The lack of helmets are only a minor inconvenience....

And obviously, the Western Hivers are the best people bar none.  They never try to kill you unless you try something against them or their Queen.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:26 pm »

Full-cyborg humans are a close second, although if you can get all the limbs off a skeleton somehow... Customized skeletons are a force to be reckoned with.

I have never had a cyborg Shek, they could be OP, not sure.

EDIT: I have an interesting idea for a starting scenario: One human with some basic explorer gear and low skills, and one skeleton with high science skill, no limbs, and overall heavy amounts of wear. Starting location somewhere with ruins. "During a scavenging trip near <starting location>, you find a severely damaged skeleton. It awakens when you start digging it out and promises to help you make use of the tech you scavenged if you will get it to safety. Clearly it has useful knowledge, but its poor condition will make your task difficult."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:53:58 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 29, 2019, 11:52:59 pm »

Humans can use full body armor, meaning they take less health damage proportionally over the course of a battle, also, headgear makes them extremely resistant to being taken out by headshots, the single largest weakness of the skeleton.

To be clear, I am reporting this mostly based on other players who have reported on their exploration of the combat system, but also based on my skeleton vs. Holy nation playthrough, where skeletons with eighties across the board in their combat stats were being disabled (temporarily) by human opponents in vastly inferior gear with lower stats.  We won these battles, but by the end of most I had half or more of my skeletons effectively out of the fight due to blunt damage or wear.  The assault on the capital was especially bad, I almost lost that one twice with an army of more than thirty skeletons in primarily masterwork gear, Mk III weapons, and combat stats above eighty.  Humans are stronger combatants than skeletons, period.

While Skeletons WILL eventually wear down opponents, so long as they have adequate repair kits, however they get knocked down much, much more frequently than humans or shek.  Meaning they spend less time damaging enemies, and more time healing.

Further, even Beep can in fact become the strongest warrior on the continent if you grind him up high enough, but the base power disparity is definitely present between the races, and is clearly reflected in the way they are presented in-game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:56:00 pm by NullForceOmega »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 30, 2019, 08:24:07 am »

Also headwear is very stylish. This aspect cannot be denied.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 68