Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 168104 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:45 am »

No, but when the IndieFort bundle was released the blog post said.
In other news, the next update is nearly ready, give it about a week!
So... within a week =3
Hopefully

Mind you it isn't a content/feature update.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:55 am »

But it should still make the game a lot moire enjoyable to play.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 11:30:14 am »

But it should still make the game a lot moire enjoyable to play.

Not really not to my knowledge.

What huge problem is this fixing?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:03 am »

The pathfinding as it stands is atrocious, especially in towns, even more so where stairs are involved.  I've had people standing at the bottom of steps, refusing to move up them before.
I seem to recall reading that the improved performance also means Chris has been able to up the amount of NPCs in the game.
Less time staring at the loading message while moving between areas.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2012, 11:40:17 am »

The pathfinding as it stands is atrocious, especially in towns, even more so where stairs are involved.  I've had people standing at the bottom of steps, refusing to move up them before.
I seem to recall reading that the improved performance also means Chris has been able to up the amount of NPCs in the game.
Less time staring at the loading message while moving between areas.

I always select one character and manually guide them up the stairs.

Plus most places you would want to go in don't have complex stairs

Loading however, yeah I can accept that.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2012, 11:48:48 am »

From looking at the site, this is what happened to the pathfinding:
I've been working on the pathfinding system, and by working on it I mean completely torn it out and replaced it with a more solid ready-made one called "recast".  This will not only fix all the old pathfinding and collision bugs, but it will also drastically reduce loading times when you are moving around the map, and it boosts performance because more is now being done on the background thread.

But there are gameplay benefits too!  Firstly I can now have multiple floors in buildings, which will make more use of their space and make them more interesting to own.  And also it paves the way for adding doors to the game.  So when you buy a building you can keep your enemies out and use it as a defensive structure, and also towns will be able to have town gates.

I expect to finish it up in a week or two.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2012, 11:53:19 am »

Yes but the second part hasn't happened yet.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2012, 12:45:26 pm »

Hell, im a DF player, I can wait for more features
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2012, 02:54:45 am »

When you import a new game, do you also import the enemies too? Apart from the hungry bandits, whenever I start a new game to clear vendor inventory all the dust bandits and that seem to be getting better too :/
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2012, 11:59:44 am »

This game was just what I needed to be convinced to grab the Indie Fort bundle. :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:03 am »

I just found out about this game.
SO naturally I'll download the demo and see if it's worth my money.
By the way, what's the difference between the demo and the full version?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:17 am »

About seven, give or take two.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2012, 12:41:48 am »

About seven, give or take two.
And no skill cap

Buying supports the developer, naturally.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:25 am »

I just found out about this game.
SO naturally I'll download the demo and see if it's worth my money.
By the way, what's the difference between the demo and the full version?

Honestly I'd read the FAQ before buying it and trying to filter out as much salespeak as you can. A lot of it makes you SERIOUSLY wonder if they know what the heck they are doing as the majority of the FAQ is full of "We don't want to do what those OTHER games do, those stinky smelly games, we will in fact do it better and differently" which has always spelt doom for a project. Even so far as to cry against even logical cliches. It can make you worry it is just another "we will do it differently" game.

As well looking at what they want to do can also make you question if they can really give you what they are claiming they can do. They have done nothing resembling a single iota of what the true ambition of the game is going to be and outside it they may fall into something ONLY I dislike.

This thing that I dislike that no one else seems to dislike? I call it

Mudbox!

You know how everyone loves sandboxes because at their heart it means you can have a unique and full experience everytime? Well what happens if this "procedure" gives you unique experiences but ones that are always lack luster.

Mudbox is when a game is sandbox and dynamic but where they are never done particularly well. Creating essentially a sandbox out of mud. While this is also unrelated to Kenshi I will state that Mudbox is also a way to hide flaws, if you cannot properly design levels that are both fun and entertaining then simply make them random and people will be in awe with how different it is everytime that they will forgive it (afterall it is a feature not a flaw that the levels are crud).

Ultimately I guess what I am saying is... Kenshi has a lot of potential but it is also showing the signs that it will likely end up a boring and flawed. So do not get it on the basis that its potential is a sure thing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:45:19 am by Neonivek »

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2012, 08:52:11 pm »

From what I've seen so far, you can do more interaction in this game, so it will not be a mudbox. In Skyrim (a mudbox), it wasn't dynamic, as it still relied on typical quests. It was basically an rpg with more repetitive levels and a minigame. However, after reading the FAQ in Kenshi (and seeing some let's plays), I believe nothing Kenshi is doing is illogical. It doesn't prevent saving because you can save in other games, but because the tension created means that if you fail in defending a village, you can't try again. As such, you will have more at risk, or perhaps you can decide to be "cowardly" and flee to a neighboring village.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 68