Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 166240 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #900 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:25 am »

More so if you use something like the Fashion Kenshi / Wear two hats mod.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 30, 2019, 10:11:41 am »

I'm sort of curious if a character with exactly one robot limb is in fact better than one with either two organic limbs or two robotic limbs.  One robotic limb allows the use of footwear.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 30, 2019, 10:24:40 am »

I've found that despite their lower health, hive princes can make great combatants. Mainly because they get a racial 20% combat speed bonus. Hitting the other guy first avoids a lot of damage. Skeletons on the other hand get a combat speed reduction of 10%.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 10:26:49 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 30, 2019, 10:36:30 am »

NullForceOmega, I reckon part of that is due to Paladin weapons doing extra damage against Skeletons. As far as the math goes, Skeletons should be the best and probably quickest to train up, as their recover time is null and more hit points all over allow them to stay in a fight longer.

It's all up to preference, I enjoyed playing as a human with a bonedog more than anything else so far. I'm a city slicker, though. The outpost building stuff has never made a game at all more enjoyable for me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: December 30, 2019, 11:45:25 am »

My favourite start is also Man and a Dog, but also the Cannibals one. Thankfully I found one can merge saves.

I'd probably play as a Hive Prince more, if it wasn't for that style thing, you know. Gotta look fly in the post apocalypse.
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 30, 2019, 12:27:03 pm »

I've found that despite their lower health, hive princes can make great combatants. Mainly because they get a racial 20% combat speed bonus. Hitting the other guy first avoids a lot of damage. Skeletons on the other hand get a combat speed reduction of 10%.

Aside from combat speed, melee attack/martial arts (MAt/MA) skill level is also important. I did a solo run recently (shek martial artist) and I often found myself caught in an endless dodge loop when facing large groups of enemies due their constant attacks. It seems like there is a breaking point at having about 10-15 more MAt/MA than your opponents than lets you start your attack before them.

Do note that I use a mod that increases the number of attack slots, so the exact breaking point might be different in vanilla kenshi. I use the x2 mod IIRC.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 30, 2019, 04:13:17 pm »

It's all up to preference, I enjoyed playing as a human with a bonedog more than anything else so far. I'm a city slicker, though. The outpost building stuff has never made a game at all more enjoyable for me.

I tend to agree.  Setting up in town is easy.  Nobody bothers you while you tech up and build stuff, and you can buy basic crafting supplies on a daily basis.  Running next door to the shop and running past hostile creatures and people to town makes a big difference.  Its like Kenshi actively hates the player trying to infringe on its well manicured map with that awful *NEW* outpost thingy.  Creating an outpost can be fun only for the fun of creating my own settlement.  Other than that, setting up in town is the way to go.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 30, 2019, 04:48:23 pm »

I don't have a lot of experience outside the Shek Kingdom, but don't you basically have to make an outpost for most stuff above Level 1 Tech? The research station was too large to fit anywhere in my in town building, along with most other meaningful stuff for self-sufficiency.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 30, 2019, 05:44:42 pm »

Nah Shek cities just have small buildings for sale, other towns like World's End, Hub etc also have larger buildings that can be fitted with higher level bences. Now being completely self sufficient is another story especialy before you research hydroponics.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 30, 2019, 06:06:34 pm »

No you can definitely fit up to a lvl. 5 tech bench in those Shek buildings. You can usually also fit a bunch of other manufacturing benches and storage crates as well. I'd say 2-3 workbenches per building plus storage can be fit in any of the them.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 30, 2019, 06:31:41 pm »

I don't have a lot of experience outside the Shek Kingdom, but don't you basically have to make an outpost for most stuff above Level 1 Tech? The research station was too large to fit anywhere in my in town building, along with most other meaningful stuff for self-sufficiency.
You can buy almost any type of house you can build, and every one of them except the small shack can fit a lv2 research station. I would say every type of house you can build, but I'm not sure about some of the high-level outposts. Also, if you're having trouble fitting a higher level research station, you can build the lv2 and upgrade it.
I can't imagine trying to build an outpost without first studying all the tech in an NPC city. Won't you just get swarmed by bandits before you even have beds?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 30, 2019, 07:12:41 pm »

Won't you just get swarmed by bandits before you even have beds?

You get attacked every now and again, but I deal with it rather simply: Run to the nearest NPC settlement and let them deal with it.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 30, 2019, 11:23:50 pm »

You can buy almost any type of house you can build, and every one of them except the small shack can fit a lv2 research station.

I'm not sure about that, I remember that I couldn't fit a lvl2 research bench in the Longhouse I had bought in Squin.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 31, 2019, 02:31:30 am »

I think there is like a single orientation that will let you place a bench down in the longhouse, but you're honestly much better off with a different building.  I definitely wouldn't recommend longhouses, Y houses, or bughouses.  Longhouses are really hard to cram most things into, it can be done, but it's extremely cramped.  The Y house looks good, but is buggy as all hell, whenever I build a research station I invariably end up unable to use the entire left wing of the structure, and building on the roof is very irritating.  The bughouse has lots of room, but is actually infuriatingly hard to pack stations into.

From my experience the L house is without question the best value for stations, you can cram whole industries into just one of them, and the Hub has two of them in ruined condition.  One of my best setups was just rebuilding the city there, had a blast, but dear hell it was hard to source building materials.

As for outpost building without research, if you've built up a core of about 5 combatants in the thirties, and have about six people to do non-combat jobs you can build in pretty reasonable safety most places.  Just steer clear of the foglands, cannibal plains, and any place with high concentrations of beak things.  BDN will be a serious threat until you have tier two walls and crossbows (dedicated gunners needed, at least 4, preferably six) in a proper killbox configuration with an airlocked gate setup, at that point you're pretty much secure against lower level threats.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 02, 2020, 08:58:13 pm »

Aside from combat speed, melee attack/martial arts (MAt/MA) skill level is also important. I did a solo run recently (shek martial artist) and I often found myself caught in an endless dodge loop when facing large groups of enemies due their constant attacks. It seems like there is a breaking point at having about 10-15 more MAt/MA than your opponents than lets you start your attack before them.

Do note that I use a mod that increases the number of attack slots, so the exact breaking point might be different in vanilla kenshi. I use the x2 mod IIRC.

There's a set of mods you'll want to get if you use MA at all, all made by some guy whose steam name is just ( * ).

Martial Arts Fast Dodger: 40% increased speed of dodge animations.
Martial Arts No Matrix Dodge: MA dodge doesn't use the matrix dodge any more, only the faster backstep.
Martial Arts : Always Attack: Expands the range of the Jumpkick and Jump Knee MA attacks so that there aren't any ranges where no MA attacks will trigger (as is the case in vanilla in range 7-9).
Martial Arts Not Everywhere: Enemies which spawn with weapons have their MA skill cut in half to avoid the whole issue with recently disarmed enemies suddenly becoming vastly more dangerous because their MA hits harder than they did with the weapon they presumably trained with and used all the time.

Those four mods are a massive QoL improvement for MA-related stuff.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 68