Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167476 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #915 on: January 03, 2020, 12:02:01 am »

Perhaps as a response to the controversy over The Holy Nation as a place to settle, I have created several start in their territory with a bull and some random items to get a settlement started.  Also 15 relations with The Holy Nation, for what that is worth.

Small Farmstead Start on Steam

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 05, 2020, 07:43:33 am »

Thanks for the mod suggestions Flying Dice :)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 05, 2020, 12:42:33 pm »

Not much, but fixed the core problem with the Freedom Seekers start.  They need a pack bull to carry around all of that building crap, and with my new start, they now have one.
Link for the curious

Eh, apparently when I make a comment in Steam, it WON'T let me copy and paste.  Groan, I'm not retyping anything, so just enjoy this picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slave Traders thinking it ok to just hang out at Black Desert City.  Not pictured: My greedy attempt to train on them, so that now I'm melting in Black Desert City.  Should have just waited, but they looked like they had finally smartened up and were heading for the bar.
EDIT: My Pack Bull, the only survivor, confirmed that had I just waited, they would probably have in fact just melted, they didn't go into the bar, although I don't know if my attack had anything to do with that.  A subtle reminder that in Kenshi, you never send everyone to attack.  Somebody has to stay behind to patch up the wounded....
Now, I'm wondering if a Pack Bull can continue.  There is one recruitment mechanism which I know works for mute characters: Freed Slaves sometimes join up.  Dunno if they will initiate the dialog with an animal though.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #918 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:41 pm »

Now, I'm wondering if a Pack Bull can continue.  There is one recruitment mechanism which I know works for mute characters: Freed Slaves sometimes join up.  Dunno if they will initiate the dialog with an animal though.
That'd be interesting. I'm looking forward to an update from Packy the Bull ;)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 20, 2020, 10:41:32 pm »

I'd like to reopen the discussion on why The Holy Nation sucks.

Reviewing the world states, they are unique in that, should they win, they don't expand.

Take a good look at Bast.  That is the future they have in store for all lands they don't currently control.  You see, they already have the most valuable real estate in all of Kenshi.  They don't want any more land, they just want the other major factions to shut up and die already.  They're not completely evil: they have no grudge against the Tech Hunters and seem content to allow them to co-exist on less habitable land currently.  But they want the other major factions dead and have no plans to replace them.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 20, 2020, 10:54:49 pm »

"Kill everyone who isn't us"  Is pretty damned evil as a motivation. even if it doesn't specifically include a couple of minor factions.  But again, everyone in Kenshi sucks, to some degree or another.  Most of them don't hate you for not looking like them or having the ability to conceive a child tho', making them markedly better as people than the Okranites.

Yes, the Shek are racist assholes who just want to fight and die in glorious battle, they aren't exactly functional as a society either.  And the U.C. are capitalist aristocracy to an actually insane degree, making them even more unpalatable than the Shek to me personally.  And pretty much everyone else wants to steal from you, kill you, or for you to leave them the hell alone.

Hell, the player faction can be even worse depending on the motivation, I have actively fed prisoners to fogmen in a couple of my more RP directed saves, just because that's what the people involved would do to their enemies.

All the major factions are demonstrably negative, and the degree to which the player perceives them as such will depend entirely on their internal biases, so for myself and others with similar biases, the religious, murdering, misogynistic psychopaths are the worst faction.  To others, who view conflict, elitism, wealth disparity, classism, or other factors as larger detractors the other factions will seem worse.

Edit: As an addendum, I don't even 'hate' the HN, I just find them the least tolerable overall.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:58:54 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 21, 2020, 06:37:13 am »

They're not completely evil: they have no grudge against the Tech Hunters and seem content to allow them to co-exist on less habitable land currently. 

Aren't the Tech Hunters at World's End posing as okranites though? I thought that was the case with having Okran's statues at their main gate.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:44 am »

They're not completely evil: they have no grudge against the Tech Hunters and seem content to allow them to co-exist on less habitable land currently. 

Aren't the Tech Hunters at World's End posing as okranites though? I thought that was the case with having Okran's statues at their main gate.

Absolutely, at least towards the Okranites.  I guess my disclaimer is flawed...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 29, 2020, 08:35:51 pm »

Looks like all the cool kids are going to start playing Kenshi again.  Since everybody hates the Holy Nation, let me know if you want a mod where the Flotsam Ninjas get guns, or want a Super Skeleton Nation dumped into the middle of their territory or something.*

*Gun mods not my work

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 29, 2020, 09:33:59 pm »

I'm too cool to know why other, less cool people is going to begin playing kenshi again. Anyone care to fill me in?
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 29, 2020, 10:36:37 pm »

It's too cool, he couldn't possibly-
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 30, 2020, 12:59:14 am »

I'm getting called back in to work on/update a mod I had released. 
Dunno why everybody else is playing.  :P

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 30, 2020, 11:00:16 am »

I can't imagine trying to build an outpost without first studying all the tech in an NPC city. Won't you just get swarmed by bandits before you even have beds?

Well yeah of course, you get swarmed by bandits, they beat your ass down, they leave, your guys are a little tougher for the next beat down.

I thought that was how kenshi is played, get your ass kicked over and over and over until you can kick the ass instead.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 30, 2020, 02:50:04 pm »

I pick one of three paths:

1) Build near to a friendly outpost, and run there when attacked until you have walls and top-tier gear.
2) Do research and other prep in a city and then slowly move out.
3) Get captured by a slaver faction, then keep trying to "escape" over and over and over until your men are all tough as nails, sneaky, lockpicking, badasses. *Then* go build.

Nowadays I prefer option 3. Having toughness in the 60s or higher makes everything way easier. Option 2 is just option 1, but less adventurous.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 30, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »

I thought that was how kenshi is played, get your ass kicked over and over and over until you can kick the ass instead.

So true.  Once I fully realized that, the Shek belief that anyone that survives a fight that they lost no longer gets to fight became completely asinine.

I pick one of three paths:

1) Build near to a friendly outpost, and run there when attacked until you have walls and top-tier gear.
2) Do research and other prep in a city and then slowly move out.
3) Get captured by a slaver faction, then keep trying to "escape" over and over and over until your men are all tough as nails, sneaky, lockpicking, badasses. *Then* go build.

Nowadays I prefer option 3. Having toughness in the 60s or higher makes everything way easier. Option 2 is just option 1, but less adventurous.

I like bee-lining for slaver camps as well, but not as much for the free stat growth (I'm not really that patient) but for the free decent recruit(s).  There is usually one or two slaves that will eventually join up.  Holy Nation is best for this, because their slaves are the Lower Servants with stats in the 20s instead of the Empire Slaves with stats in the 1s.  They do need a renaming though.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68